FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2020 2:16 PM  #1

Spring Perches

After 6600 miles, the rubber in the spring perches it about beat out of them. I thought I bought a decent brand!! What do yall recommend for a factory style with rubber.

For those recommending roller perches, how many miles have you put on them?
What are the differences you can tell between them for ride, road noise, or anything else that comes to mind?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

1/17/2020 3:06 PM  #2

Re: Spring Perches

John,
I used these as they are similar to what was used in the Falcon. The Falcons used a bronze bushing and these say they use a synthetic elastomer for the bushing. They have 26,000 miles on them and still seem to work well. 
https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/64-73-hp-frt-coil-spring-perch-c4dz-3388-hp
The other option is pricey roller perches. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/17/2020 3:15 PM  #3

Thanks Gary

1/17/2020 5:01 PM  #4

I'm running roller bearing spring perches, for that matter everything on my suggestion is roller bearing including the idler arm. Ford originally used a bronze bushings. That is the right way. Ford switched to rubber for one reason, it cost less then a bronze bushing. Roller bearing is typically not the choice for static loads. Honestly I was very suspicious and hesitant to use roller perches. I took the plunge and bought a set after a fair amount of investing. I couldn't find people with problems. When I found a listing for roller bearings for static loads is what changed it for me. Besides I thought they'd last longer then stock rubber bushings.

Everyone says a steel bearing is going to be noisy, have a harsh ride. Funny I haven't found any of that to be true. I've found it to provide a supple, compliant ride that just seems to glide over bumps and pot holes. The only time I notice anything is if I specifically look or pay attention for it. Then it's more like a set of low profile tires. What I did see coming was how much binding there is with rubber bushings. They simply do not want to rotate freely. They store up energy and snap the suspension back. That feeling is gone with bearings. Without this binding it kills spring rate. I've actually had to increase spring rate substantially just to keep the suspension from bottoming out in normal driving

So to answer your question. Don't fear them from a comfort or life expectancy. They'll probably be the last set you buy and your car will ride much better and just as quietly

Last edited by Huskinhano (1/17/2020 5:02 PM)

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

1/18/2020 9:14 AM  #5

Thanks Tom, love your tag line. Wish I would have thought of that.

1/18/2020 10:12 AM  #6

I resisted roller perches, as well. Then I found some that fit well and provided socket access to the Shock absorber mounting nuts. The first pair I found had no access to those nuts due to the larger bearing support tube. The washers for the shock mount had to be ground down to fit and even then were jammed hard against the perch body, eliminating any rubber isolation of the shock studs.
I took those back off the first day. The second set had machined clearance for the shock stud nut access. They have been in the car over 15,000 miles with no issues.

Once I really thought about what they do, the bearings are really kind of a superfluous gimmick. Modern cars and trucks that use big coil springs simply put the end of the spring into a stamped area in the control arm. The flexure of the spring follows the control arm as it moves through an arc.  That is all that is needed. There just isn’t a good way to do that on a Mustang upper control arm.

So, for lack of ANY decent original type perches on the market, the roller perches do the job quite well, and I have not noticed harshness from them like I have with rod ends on the strut rods.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/18/2020 11:39 AM  #7

Re spring perches;
Put an unmounted  front spring on the floor and try to compress it by pushing, sitting, jumping or whatever  and take note of how much force it takes to get it to deflect. I’m about 215# and I can’t compress it hardly at all.
Now clamp a stock spring perch in a solid bench mounted vice. Then apply 12 inch crescent wrench to the mounting shaft and  note how much force it takes to rotate it the amount that it moves when actually installed. I’m an old man but it does not take much for me to move it 15-20 degrees.
I’m guessing that that big honking coil spring take very little effort to get that same 15-20 degree movement.
Obviously a roller perch offers no resistance at all but so just how much is the actual benefit in the installation of them.?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

1/18/2020 1:40 PM  #8

Steve and Rudi, Thanks for the feedback.

1/18/2020 5:43 PM  #9

Bolted...
Your ultimate solution is an aluminum small block. 🤠

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

1/18/2020 8:25 PM  #10

MS wrote:

Bolted...
Your ultimate solution is an aluminum small block. 🤠

Can’t be much more money than a FE!!

1/19/2020 7:13 AM  #11

RV6 wrote:

John,
I used these as they are similar to what was used in the Falcon. The Falcons used a bronze bushing and these say they use a synthetic elastomer for the bushing. They have 26,000 miles on them and still seem to work well. 
https://www.drakeautomotivegroup.com/64-73-hp-frt-coil-spring-perch-c4dz-3388-hp

I’m no engineer or English major...sounds like “synthetic rubber” to me.

1/19/2020 10:54 AM  #12

Replace the rubber and slide in 2 urethane bushings using original shaft and outer shell. Spot weld a washer on each side of the shaft to keep it centered. Drill it to make greaseable.
It's a poor man roller perch that's free moving and quiet and will last many moons.

1/19/2020 1:09 PM  #13

Nos681 wrote:

RV6 wrote:

John,

Really really hard synthetic rubber. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/19/2020 7:17 PM  #14

Nos681 wrote:

RV6 wrote:

John,

Since I spent fourty years as a synthetic elastomer engineer I feel qualified to state that the Drake Group’s bushings are probably close to urethane, perhaps graphite impregnated urethane. There are as many Synthetic elastomers as there types of cars.  Without specifications there is no way to tell exactly what they are using.  The exact compound is probably a trade secret.

1/19/2020 7:32 PM  #15

red351 wrote:

Replace the rubber and slide in 2 urethane bushings using original shaft and outer shell. Spot weld a washer on each side of the shaft to keep it centered. Drill it to make greaseable.
It's a poor man roller perch that's free moving and quiet and will last many moons.

Do this! Many years ago (about 1995) I bought a kit of all urethane suspension bushings for my 66. I quickly found they were too hard for street driving and went back to rubber. The third time I rebuilt the front suspension I invented the same thing red351 did, except my urethane perch bushings have an outer flange, so no welding. The greased urethane bushings are near zero friction. Since the bushings are urethane the grease will not degrade them like it would rubber bushings.  As far as roller spring perches go, due to the small arc of travel by the perches, I still have to wonder if all the impacts from the spring action will brinnell damage the bearings.

1/19/2020 7:55 PM  #16

Red and Ron, I could use some pictures, if you have any handy. No welding is a plus. I will need to do some googling. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Bolted to Floor (1/19/2020 7:56 PM)

1/20/2020 10:14 AM  #17

No pics possible till April sometime. Needed the washers to keep the shaft itself centered. Yes there is flange for the outer part.

1/20/2020 5:56 PM  #18

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.