FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/11/2020 11:31 AM  #26

Re: timed vacuum or full vacuum advance with edelbrock ?

TKOPerformance wrote:

The 4100 probably only has a timed vacuum port.  Try opening the throttle a little bit and see if you have vacuum. 

With both carbs doing the same thing its not the carb.  How old is the fuel pump?  Engine mounted pump or electric?  How old is the fuel filter?  This sounds like a lean condition.  Thinking it may not be getting enough fuel flow to allow it to rev up. 

Was exactly opposite , was too rich . +4 % . 
Now it runs with - 12 %  and still have some gas smell , but runs without bangs , boggin or refuse to rev high . 
Now remain only a little hesitation on transition ( accel pump lever is lower as possible )  Or squirter are too big . 
Anyway is going much much better than yesterday . 
About gas pump yes it could be as i don't know how old is . Looks like the oem one .  Another thing i havent understan is gas pressure gauge , working at cold on 6/7 psi , then when hot drops to 1 . Faulty gauge ? faulty pump ?
Thanks ! 

2/11/2020 4:26 PM  #27

Keep leaning it down until it starts to surge when slowly driving in 1st or 2nd gear. Then go back one on the springs/rods.
Play with the accel pump (there are 3 settings) for best results.( Edelbrock accel pumps usually don't require bigger squirter size.) I have found I can tune A LOT of bogging and poor running by advancing the timing.
Manifold vacuum will pull the vacuum advance open at idle and low speed.(driver side)  When hooked to passenger side the timing doesn't advance UNTIL you open the carb throttle. Works at low speeds (trying to adjust it while sitting in the driveway/at idle won't work. Play with it and have fun.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/11/2020 6:05 PM  #28

I'm with 6sally6 on everything he said. 

6-7psi of fuel pressure is probably the limit for an Edelbrock.  I'd see why its dropping though.

I can't see needing to lean it out more than 12%.  I've never touched the accelerator pump on an Edelbrock, and also never had hesitation, so I'm thinking timing may be the fix for the bog.  At least I'd try it first. 

2/22/2020 2:09 AM  #29

hello everyone . This is the end of the story : Carburator is runnin good , and afr test confirm that 3rd stage lean from edelbrock charts is way better than rich .  There were other things that make the whole set up difficult to finish . : 
The connector between coil and wire was broken and inside connection coil was blue oxide -
The 2nd spark plug wire was incorrectly push and wasn't clip on spark .
Bad timing regulated , 
6 volts at coil , instead of 12v        ( i haven't used the pink wire , but somewhere i pick up the wrong wire to coil)  
With all this things , was so difficult to do timing , but with your suggestion and my hard head i came out from this issues .There were too much things out of specs all togheter , that makes me crazy , 
Now car goes great , has gain some hidden power and i like it .  
By now is drivable .
The only things remain to solve are vibe from engine / flywheel / pressure plate .  
Thanks for suggestions and tips ! 

2/22/2020 7:33 AM  #30

Glad its running good for you.  With these cars its almost always the simple things. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.