FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2020 10:43 AM  #1

I just remembered

Why I quit looking for tires in sizes I needed for the red car a few yrs back. Not many then and less today.
How things change as we get older

2/16/2020 11:29 AM  #2

Re: I just remembered

BFG stopped making the sizes of my favourite tire a while ago as well, sport comp 2’s
Choices in performance summer tires in 14-15” is just about non existent. I sure as hell will not buy larger wheels just to get away from the Radial T/A’s that I use now.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

2/16/2020 11:35 AM  #3

Hence the reason I run 16" wheels. Even in the 16's the choices are dwindling each and every year. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/16/2020 1:11 PM  #4

Coker tire is reproducing the white letter T/A tires now, at about 50% higher price.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/16/2020 2:22 PM  #5

Yeah, everything I have now (excepting vehicles which run all terrain or off road tires) all roll on 16s or 17s now.  One of the reasons I went to 17s on my '67 was tire selection.

2/16/2020 4:54 PM  #6

MS wrote:

Coker tire is reproducing the white letter T/A tires now, at about 50% higher price.

Yes I know Steve, as I sent back a pair back because they were bigger on one side as the other, and as our current at the time POTUS signed a bill too stop the counter balance material mining that I needed to make it work.

Last edited by red351 (2/16/2020 5:13 PM)

2/17/2020 6:55 AM  #7

Just put on some General Altimax RT 43 on the 66, 225/60/15 rears and 215/60/15 fronts, going with black walls this time. I had put some on Lorries 06 mustang a few years ago and have had no problems, Will see, if you see an old white 66 mustang on the side of the road down toward SC this spring please stop and help. We are heading down from Wis a few weeks earlier to spend Easter in Florida, then heading up to the bash. Hopefully the pony will make it.

2/17/2020 9:55 AM  #8

what size tire?

14” and 15” have really been limited for size, traction, and price for some time now.

Even 16” are almost obsolete.

17” and 18” are the new 14” and 15”.

All these new vehicles are running 17”+ tires.

At this rate, next week 19” and 20” will be the new 14” and 15”.  Oh, it is next week already? 🤪

You will see newer no name tires filling in those voids.
The larger companies are making their money with car and truck manufacturers for new vehicles.

Running with 14” tires for many years, kinda notice these things...especially prices and crappy traction ratings.

Whew....I feel better!😂

Good luck brother!

2/17/2020 11:30 AM  #9

red351 wrote:

Why I quit looking for tires in sizes I needed for the red car a few yrs back. Not many then and less today.

It's good that someone remembers things.  I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone two days ago.  I lose more parts that I know I have bought for the Mustang. LOL

"when I drop something, it always goes to center of the car"

2/17/2020 6:37 PM  #10

retired 65 wrote:

red351 wrote:

It's good that someone remembers things.  I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone two days ago.  I lose more parts that I know I have bought for the Mustang. LOL

Think you can remember to come to The Bash at the Beach this year at my house?!!
Prolly the most fun you can have with your clothes still on!!    April 23-24-25.  Book NOW!!!
Love to meet'cha!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/18/2020 1:22 PM  #11

I did find a pair for the back and ended going down one size. 265/50R15 Dunlops is all I could get close to what I had, and I like the tread desize. Dunlop will not makeing any more.
Hanook makes 2 in that size,but again when there gone there gone.

Vitour Galaxy (never heard of) makes an odd looking tread.
retired 65   I don't know which is worst. Lately I been looking for parts I forgot too order!

Last edited by red351 (2/18/2020 1:31 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.