FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2020 6:57 PM  #1

Which water pump is good for Texas Heat.

Engine block is 1974 (Torino I believe). I have a larger radiator with intake and feed on opposite corners. I have a flex-a-lite fan on the front that has all of the measurements for spacing and shrouds correctly installed. I am getting ready to change out the thermostat and figure this is a good time to put a better water pump in it than stock level. 
What is a good pump to find?
Tired of the engine overheating when moving in slow traffic. 

Bash Thrash has begun. 

2/17/2020 7:56 PM  #2

Re: Which water pump is good for Texas Heat.

What are your pulley sizes? Ratio does matter for fan and pump speed.

The Flow Kooler pump on my 427 lowered temp five degrees with no other changes.  I went through two Edelbrock pumps and both of them started leaking through the weep hole within a few short years st nearly $200 each.  The flow kooler was around $100.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/17/2020 10:42 PM  #3

I put a Flow Kooler on my car and it ran hot in stop and go traffic with the A/C on. Using the "factory pullies"  a 4 core aluminum radiator with two electric fans. I know some don't like electric but I'm thinking of ditching my water pump for a stock pump because I've been told that the flow was to fast there fore not getting cooled down as it went through the radiator. I'd give my pump to some one if that fixes it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

2/17/2020 11:38 PM  #4

I used a stock cast iron on 289, with 180 thermostat, 3 row higher density copper brass radiator when I lived in the San Joaquin Valley, South of Fresno, CA.
Electric fan as well.  I added additional transmission cooler inline. It was ok for what I had at the time.

Apparently they are now making aluminum water pumps that are replacements for the cast iron pumps.
Gary brought that to my attention while working on his projects this winter.  Rock Auto has them as well...I looked out of curiosity. Gary has a heavy duty version according to information he provided on his post.

Currently with 5.0, 2 row Northern aluminum radiator 1” tubes, 190 thermostat, summit 14” electric fan.
Haven’t had any overheating issues but haven’t run in high heat like y’all get to do...had plenty of high humidity and some 90 degree days last summer.

Definitely running stock size fox accessory pulleys, slightly larger on 3g alternator.

A friend this past summer was having overheating issues in his 347 fox hatchback, apparently previous owner had installed “way underdrive pulleys”.  The crank was only 4” in diameter, stock is about 6”.
Overheating stopped after installing a new set of factory sized pulleys.

Last edited by Nos681 (2/18/2020 12:09 AM)

2/18/2020 12:29 PM  #5

For serpentine systems I've been happy with a GMB pump I got through Summit for $77.  Its the exact same pump as a Milodon one I bought for $108.  Only difference was an anti cavitation disc welded to the impeller.  Ten minutes, some scrap steel, and my MIG solved that for free.  Here's a link:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmb-125-1560p/year/1989/make/ford/model/mustang

I've heard the "high performance water pump moved the water through the system too fast to cool it" before, but after a good amount of research I'm going to call that one debunked.  There may be some extraordinary case where someone used grossly mismatched pulleys or something, but in the case of a typical car that's overheating; its not being caused by a high performance water pump.  Here's why: thermal transfer occurs fastest at the greatest extreme, so if the ambient temperature is 100 degrees and the coolant coming from the engine is 220 degrees most of the reduction in coolant temperature occurs within a few seconds, where it might drop 20-30 degrees.  After that it only drops say 5 degrees in the next 20-30 seconds, and then it might take 2 minutes to drop another 5 degrees (the rate of reduction is actually an exponential function).  The closer the temperatures of the two mediums the slower the heat transfer from hot to cold and vice versa.  So even though in order to get the higher GPM ratings the coolant is going to move faster through the system there's a benefit in removing heat because it simply reduces the lag time between temperature extremes.  The coolant spends less time in the block and radiator, but in so doing actually removes more heat because the difference in temperature between the points of exchange are maximized. 

The myth seems to have started, like most do, with some truth.  Before cars had pressurized cooling systems it was indeed possible to move the water through the system too fast.  Its kind of like the idea that setting a battery on concrete damages or discharges it.  Its a leftover from before batteries had plastic cases.  Old steel cased batteries could be drained by being left on concrete. 

2/18/2020 1:32 PM  #6

In all cases, the thermostat is regulating flow depending upon temperature it senses.
That’s why I run an electric fan.
The radiator is where your heat is removed from the system.

Think about the non clutched fans and the thermostat on the older cars.

The other choice is to move northward.😁

2/18/2020 1:36 PM  #7

Correct, and also acting as a restriction as well, which increases pressure inside the block and reduces the chance of the formation of steam pockets. 

2/18/2020 2:53 PM  #8

Over heating problem ended when I installed a Shelby front valance......3 core "old fashion" brass radiator"...
'lecturk' fan..and a mega pressure radiator cap ...butt.....I don't have AC nor do I have A/T nor-dew-eye live in TEXAS!

I'm with the big radiator (and proper cap) fan club.  Seems-to-me the larger your water volume the longer its gonna take  for the temp to get to a dangerous level. A high(er) pressure cap will raise the boiling point also.
Have you seen how quick the stock water pump is moving that water?!!!  ROLL'IN is an under statement.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

2/18/2020 4:35 PM  #9

Water pumps are passive pumps, not positive displacement pumps. That said, they can only move as much water as the thermostat allows through it.  Once a thermostat is fully open, it still maintains some flow restriction.

It is my opinion that most overheating issues are NOT water pump related, unless the pulley ratio is wrong and, again, that is pulley related, not pump related.  I honestly believe any pump will do the job to move the water through the block sufficiently, and if it still overheats, look at block internal condition or one of the other myriad things that can cause overheating.

I think more cars overheat from inoperative distributor advance mechanisms than overheat from water pump malfunction.

Would it be true that a higher pressure radiator cap does not reduce the temperature, it only gives the water a higher boiling temperature?  In other words, it may run 240 degrees, but won’t boil over when doing it.  I have always used the original spec 13 psi cap.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/18/2020 4:57 PM  #10

Yes, higher system pressure will not lower operating temperature, but it does change the boiling point of the coolant.  Its not uncommon for race cars to run 22-25psi in the cooling system to allow elevated engine temperature without fear of boiling.  The hotter the engine runs the more efficient is becomes.  BSFC goes down as power goes up, which is win/win for racing (anywhere else too really). 

The issue is that a typical cooling system isn't meant to run that kind of pressure so its not advisable.  Though increasing pressure by say 2psi (going from a 13psi cap to a 15psi cap) will increase the boiling point of the coolant without any real concern about the integrity of the system.

Water boils at 212F, but a 50/50 coolant mixture boils at 223, both in an unpressurized system.  Boiling point increases by 3 degrees for every 1psi of system pressure.  So a 50/50 mix at 13 psi boils at 262F and at 15psi if boils at 268F.  Its not a huge increase for another 2psi, but it also doesn't hurt anything. 

2/18/2020 5:40 PM  #11

I've used stock cast and Flow Kooler pumps no difference. Bigger rads. 3 core 4 core with little difference, plus electric fans with clutch fans. If it's hot out there and your just sitting in traffic with the a/c on its going to get hot. In most cases a standard clutch is never going to cut it. HD or more clutch makes a difference and buys time before it boils

2/18/2020 8:03 PM  #12

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.🤔

2/18/2020 8:26 PM  #13

red351 wrote:

I've used stock cast and Flow Kooler pumps no difference. Bigger rads. 3 core 4 core with little difference, plus electric fans with clutch fans. If it's hot out there and your just sitting in traffic with the a/c on its going to get hot. In most cases a standard clutch is never going to cut it. HD or more clutch makes a difference and buys time before it boils

Yes, at some point you have to move air through the system.  The air around the radiator begins to get saturated with heat and starts to become a barrier to cooling.  Bigger radiators just extend the amount of time it takes to reach that point.  A good fan is the best bet in those situations, but even then, the air a fan moves pales in comparison to how much moves through the radiator when the car is in motion. 

2/19/2020 11:18 AM  #14

I'm no expert on the subject so I only know has has worked for me. I see a bunch of Q&A on this subject, people upgrading this and that, swearing you have to do one thing or the other or it will over heat. But, my cooling system on my 289 is as low tech as it gets. Stock pump, stock pulley, 6 blade steel ridged fan, aluminum 3row rad and NO SHROUD. I live in SE Virginia where summer temps are in high 90s and high humidity. We have draw bridges everywhere so sitting in traffic happens a lot. My car has never overheated.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

2/20/2020 2:07 PM  #15

BTW, since mid 90’s ditched 13# and went to 16# cap after replacing radiator.
Heater core was replaced prior as well.

With 289/c4 and internal and external transmission coolers:
16# with 3 row high fin count copper brass
180 thermostat
289 cast iron pump

Currently 5.0/t5 internal cooler not used:
16# with 2 row 1” tubes aluminum
190 thermostat
5.0 stock replacement aluminum pump

Last edited by Nos681 (2/20/2020 2:21 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.