FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/19/2020 5:37 PM  #1

Custom Autsound USA-230 Radio

6 years ago when I did the refresh of my 67 Coupe I installed a Custom Autosound USA-230 radio. The front speaker is a Custom Autosound 140W max dual coil that bolted in place of the original speaker in the dash. The rears are some Chinese POS's and are 4 Ohm 200W max units. Speakers are wired directly to the radio; no amp is used. 

It may have worked OK when I installed and tested but I don't remember. It don't work so good now as anything over conversation volume causes the sound to distort.

So for all practical purposes the radio just fills a hole. 

Do any of you have a good experience with the USA-230? While I don't listen to the radio much, it would be nice to listen to Audio Books on the cruise to the Bash.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/19/2020 6:03 PM  #2

Re: Custom Autsound USA-230 Radio

IME all of the stuff designed to "custom fit" classics is junk.  Its niche market stuff made overseas that neither sounds good initially nor lasts very long.  If you want quality, dependable sound you have to figure out how to adapt universal stuff to your classic, because the real deal manufacturers just don't build stuff that custom fits anything.  In a '67-'68 its easy enough to just modify the opening in an aftermarket radio bezel to fit a standard DIN sized chassis.  Its trickier in a '65-'66.  You don't want to butcher the dash, but there's other ways.  A custom console with a spot for a head unit for example.

I'm also going to advise using an external amp.  The problem is that the amps inside the radio have to work WAY too hard and they burn out.  I've yet to have an external amp built by a decent manufacturer fail.  Its certainly a bit more work to add one, but its that whole, "How often would you like to do this?" deal.  Personally, when I do a sound system for one of my vehicles I never plan on touching it ever again. 

You probably would think the system in my '67 is overkill, and for some it probably is.  For me its just right.  JBL front components (mids in the kick panels, tweets on the A pillars, x-overs under the dash; all custom mounts), JBL 6x9s in the rear (custom modified aftermarket trap door), Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp with an x-over and output running to a second Rockford Fosgate amp driving a single JBL 10" sub in the trunk.  Alpine in dash CD head unit.  It took a good deal of work, but it sounds great, and having used quality components I know it will last. 

2/19/2020 6:05 PM  #3

I don't think I'll ever use another Autocr*p radio. Retrosound is a better choice.
My 67 is a radio delete car, and staying that way.
For the vert, I think I'm gunna use one of these conversions on an original radio.
http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm
Just gotta find an original to replace the one I gave away when I fitted the Autocr*p.
Does anyone have a spare? Dead or alive.

Last edited by 50vert (2/19/2020 6:17 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/19/2020 6:28 PM  #4

As Barry mention. The aurora mod if you have the original radio is the best way to go, and yes it's more $. The red car has one. I was feeling cheap the day I ordered the restrosound for the 67. It's OK, sound not so wonder. It's a PITA to have to get the book out and figure how to make a change every time or when after the battery disconnected.

Last edited by red351 (2/19/2020 6:30 PM)

2/19/2020 8:07 PM  #5

I gotta say, that's pretty slick. 

2/20/2020 11:30 PM  #6

I knew it was just a matter of time.
Didn’t know that was out there.
Guess I should get out more....😁

2/21/2020 2:02 PM  #7

Would something like these work to make the radio loud enough to listen to. I have zero knowledge in what I need. I also don't want to dump a lot of money in this little side project.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JEC0YFQ/?coliid=I2I94OHD0ERY80&colid=2OZQLISHO95A9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

OR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVWC55A/?coliid=IASDF2H9DW74L&colid=2OZQLISHO95A9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/21/2020 4:35 PM  #8

You want everything to match.  If your speakers will handle 140-200 watts peak you want an amp that can deliver that.  The reason why is the same reason you don't want to just run 45watts per channel from the head unit.  You're going to end up driving the amp really hard, which will shorten its life.

Typically though you don't match amps and speakers based on peak values, you use RMS values.  Think of RMS as "power at normal listening levels".  The idea is that you can keep the gain on the amp low and hear what you want to hear at about 1/2 max volume on the head unit (or less).  This makes everything live a long, happy life. 

Your impedence values also need to match.  If you have 4 Ohm speakers get a 4 Ohm amp.  Most good amps will play into 2 Ohms, so its not a concern.  Don't worry about what it will do bridged, you're not going to do that. 

My advice would be to go with something that delivers at least 75watts RMS at 4 Ohms on 4 channels.  Here's some options:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_347050/4-channel-Amps.html?tp=35782&pg=2#&nvpair=FFRMS_Power@@Channel|[rank2]%2061%20-%2080%20watts

The Rockford Fosgate one that's $250 is what I run, but I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the name brand ones (MB Quart, JL Audio, Kicker, MTX, or Infinity).  I've used or installed amps by all of those manufacturers before and they sounded great and lasted  essentially forever.  Sound quality may be somewhat limited by your speakers, but I'd get a good amp now, and you can upgrade the speakers later if they distort, suck, or blow out. 

Your head unit will also play a role in how "clean" the sound is going to the amp.  FYI, NEVER use line level connections to an amp (speaker wires from the head unit).  Always use RCA cables.  There are line level converters if the head unit lacks RCA outputs, but most have them. 

You can shop the price around too.  Sometimes Crutchfield is best, sometimes Amazon beats them, etc.  Any questions just ask, and feel free to PM me too if you want. 

2/21/2020 5:59 PM  #9

I have a Jensen in my car. I put it in about 16 years ago, so it's lasted well. The radio is average, but I never expected anything too grand. Recently I hooked up some rear speakers (huge difference from running just the under dash speaker) and then I hooked up an amp (massive difference). The stereo in my car would be comparable to a new car stereo sound I think. However, I will be looking for a new radio in the next year or so, as I want something with Bluetooth and mp3 capability.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

2/21/2020 7:46 PM  #10

Will a stock 65 AM work?
Chris

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

2/22/2020 2:12 AM  #11

It would work for the conversion!

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

2/22/2020 4:50 AM  #12

Thank goodness for simulcast on AM and FM in the SF Bay Area.
That was all I had for a year.

2/22/2020 7:31 AM  #13

New vehicles have really good sound systems, especially compared to what they had a couple decades ago.  Back then you could rip out the factory stuff and basically anything aftermarket was an improvement.  I put a system I got at Radio shack in my '86 K20 and it sounded awesome.  Well, it sounded WAY better than the factory crap.  My next go round in my '87 K5 I went a bit farther and that system was quite nice.  Considerably more expensive, but also much better, and at this point I was developing a real ear for audio.

But in my current drivers, all mid and early 2000s vehicles I don't see the point.  The factory systems produce ample volume with clean sound, especially when not listening to the radio (the frequencies and broadcast methods are more responsible for how that stuff sounds than the equipment).  If you play music from a CD, MP3, etc. the systems even in fairly cheap cars now are quite dynamic.  Factory stereos used to be all mid range, and the highs and lows stunk.  Not so anymore.  Also, most manufacturers consult with big name audio companies like JBL, Bose, etc.  What they learn trickles down to even the base level stuff. 

Point being, it used to be a low bar to have a system in an older car that sounded as good as a factory one.  That bar is considerably higher now. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.