FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2020 4:14 PM  #26

Re: 1966 mustang with 69 24" radiator swap

when I measure between the white cut lines I get 22.75" is that about where I should be?
Thanks guys!

3/01/2020 10:00 PM  #27

The 70 style mounts are too long on the top mount. You must use the shorter 67-68 top mounts.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/06/2020 9:05 PM  #28

Making some progress and getting things to fit well.
Haven't had a lot of time yet but should this weekend.
Fan is 99 ford contour.

And when I upload pictures where are the links and how do I get them in this post?

Last edited by GunJam (3/06/2020 9:07 PM)

3/06/2020 9:34 PM  #29

Go to the Index/Tips and How to.  Follow the instructions for posting pix.  You have to use New Thread or Post Reply for it to work, not the quick reply or Quote...and then it might work.  I have good luck with my old Linux laptop but no joy with the Win 10. 

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/06/2020 10:05 PM  #30

Bullet Bob wrote:

Go to the Index/Tips and How to.  Follow the instructions for posting pix.  You have to use New Thread or Post Reply for it to work, not the quick reply or Quote...and then it might work.  I have good luck with my old Linux laptop but no joy with the Win 10. 

BB

I'll add to this that for me to successfully post pics, I have be in incognito mode, then log into the forum...seems to be different for everyone..

3/06/2020 10:39 PM  #31

Okay lets see if this works 

Cool..only two hoops to jump through but they are both burning  

3/06/2020 11:43 PM  #32

That looks really nice!
Looks like a factory setup with the electric fan.
Now ya got me thinkin’ ...not good😁
What is overall depth of radiator and fan assembly?

3/07/2020 12:00 AM  #33

The max depth is 6" but the depth where the water pump pully sits is 5.5
I have about 1" of clearance. I plan to run this on my existing Derale PWM controller which has been solid I dont suspect it will take much over 40% power on avg to maintain temp in traffic.

3/07/2020 12:38 PM  #34

Looks real nice. Is it gonna be ready to drive to the Bash?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/07/2020 10:09 PM  #35

I got everything in and tested the fan in emergency override and the pwm drive seems to run the two fans well. Next test will be in auto mode and see if it ramps up to full power as override is only like 50%

As far as reliability goes there are ways to help beat the odds. Use fine stand silicone wire that is heat proof and extremely flexible with coated strands I used a combo of 12 and 10awg (like Acer Racing superworm). No crimps no wire nutz solder everything with lead solder...we aren't doing potable water pipes. Use suitable flux in addition to rosin core. ziptie and secure wire so it wont chafe. Use gold plated connectors when possible. Wash all solder joints with electronic cleaner and cover with shrink tube. 

yep will be ready for Bash...should be ready tuesday 

Last edited by GunJam (3/07/2020 10:10 PM)

3/08/2020 9:41 PM  #36

here are the fans with wire ran to them

free image hosting

3/09/2020 8:10 AM  #37

GunJam, could you provide part number for radiator and fan and derale control?
I may have to look into this as a future project.
Thanks

Last edited by Nos681 (3/09/2020 8:10 AM)

3/09/2020 10:30 AM  #38

GunJam wrote:

here are the fans with wire ran to them

free image hosting

I'd also like to know what connectors you used for the wires on the fan.

Tnx!

3/09/2020 6:48 PM  #39

Good news UR gett'in it close to working right!!

Tell us where UR from!....................don't make us wait until the Bash at the Beach to find out.
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/11/2020 10:10 PM  #40

The fan is from a 1999 ford contour it comes in 3 flavors the Dorman, the four seasons and the spectra premium. This one is the dorman its on summit PN. RNB-620-104. I would have got the spectra premium but too long of a wait time. this is already dragging longer than expected but its going well. just slow. 

The pig tails are from the autozoo "Duralast Radiator Fan Motor Connector 631"

The PWM drive from Derale is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-16795. Now be warned. I have not yet fully tested this drive with these fans and radiator. It has a 65 amp rating which should drive the two fans fine (They provide no amp draw for those fans but im pretty sure it wont be over 65...thats quite a bit.. just over 1Hp)  The PWM drive in the link I gave has a new updated sensor that I have not used. Originally they came with a probe style sensor that did not function. I found a slightly different probe with a different resistance that has worked very well. Also when running at less and 75% performance the modulation of the drive induces a whine to the fans that I dont find terrible but it does sound quite different and some people may not find it acceptable but when the car is running you cant hear it...in my case.  Now on the plus side. The fans start up slow and smooth and do not induce a shock draw common with on/off systems that snap to 100% power in a few miliseconds and demand huge startup currents. Even better then dont cycle on/off in a binary fashion. Instead they operate with a PID loop style of operation. As temp crosses the setpoint the fan will slow ramp up if temp continues to climb the fan will ramp up gradually after it  once temps start to drop the fan will roll back slow until set point is reached again and the fan will attempt to maintain a constant RPM equal to that required to maintain setpoint. Now of course the engine Tstat can mess with that a bit but I have found it to work quite well and reliably. Not sure how tough its going to be to tune with this new system OR how well the new style of sensor works. Its an excellent system but can be a PITA the first go around.

The radiator is Norther brand. I had excellent luck with one in the past and figured I would give it another shot. Im not sure how much easier it would have been to use the suggested griffen. I just fabbed my own brackets upper and lower using the rubber pieces for the 1969 brackets. At 300 dollars its probably 95% as good as the griffen if they are buiding them like they were 10 years ago. Its an aluminum radiator.... I drive the crap out of the car and I know during this install and in future repairs ill handle the radiator a lot and Ill bend the fins. Its so much less painful to bend them on a 300 dollar setup vs like 800 or whatever.  I got it from amazon "Northern Radiator 205137 Radiator " 

I live in fresno ca.  

Last edited by GunJam (3/11/2020 10:37 PM)

3/12/2020 9:15 AM  #41

GunJam wrote:

I live in fresno ca.  

Hmm...I was born and raised in Fredno, we're practically neighbors.

3/12/2020 5:29 PM  #42

GunJam you have a PM.

3/12/2020 6:43 PM  #43

Thanks for sharing information.
That’s cool.
I was stationed at NAS Lemoore mid 90’s.
You do very nice work.😎

3/12/2020 6:57 PM  #44

Is that near Pismo Beach?
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (3/14/2020 9:50 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/12/2020 7:05 PM  #45

Lemoore about 35-40 miles south of Fresno.
Base is west of town.
Majority of farmland around base is leased to farmers to grow the best tasting fruits and vegetables.

3/12/2020 10:25 PM  #46

its a rough piece of land. farming is good but you dont see it on post cards thats for damn sure. Now this isnt actually Lemoore its a bit more south somewhere between jerkwater and weedpatch but you wouldn't have known if I didnt say so.  Welcome to the real California this is what a good majority of it looks like  upload image

3/13/2020 11:23 AM  #47

I would take that over this any day.😁
This what came down yesterday.
Roads were bare this past week.

I’ve been here over 20 years now...wow...
I kinda feel like the Colonel in your picture...sometimes 🤪

Last edited by Nos681 (3/13/2020 11:24 AM)

3/13/2020 5:10 PM  #48

yeah I totally get it. Maybe its a 105 out and ill be thankful that I dont have salt and snow to deal with in the winter.

3/13/2020 9:14 PM  #49

​Just about there . Battery tray floor repaired, Battery / rad hold down done, wiring mostly complete may adjust lenght a bit on a few leads. I had to use a flex hose for the upper rad it seemed to fit better than the one for the 66.  Also used rubber hose to seal the gap between the rad and the core support. The gap was too wide in some places and required 20ga sheet metal strip to be tig welded in to fill the gap. The hose worked well once the over sized gap was solved. 

I also included a video of the fan controller running in override then heating the probe with a lighter and allowing the system to automatically ramp up to full power. Seems to work fine the real trick will be adjusting it for the new radiator and how that effect water temps at the probe location. 

pic sharing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRybhANHSs&feature=youtu.be

3/14/2020 8:07 PM  #50

Got it done to the point where its totally derivable. Might tweak a few things here and there but its pretty much set.

I was running a 195F T stat that worked well but now that I have a ton of cooling capacity I switched back to the 180 I might even try a 175 or 170 if I can find one but Ill test it with the 180 for a while. It idles at about 177F dont have any freeway time on the 180 yet.

The fan controller works just fine but tends to have a slightly harder time maintaining a set rpm under no change conditions but holds a perfect average. I may ask about the updated sensor for it and see if they can send me one to try out as the one I have now isnt actually correct for the PID loop its programmed with.

at some point I want to check difference between upper and lower hose temp but it needs to be hotter out like 80F would be a good base point to check temp diff. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.