FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2020 8:28 AM  #26

Re: Stroker Build .. Gaba's 347

Bullet Bob wrote:

Man Gaba, you have one very understanding wife.  I don't matter how surgically clean I might make engine parts...they ain't gonna be worked on in Jean's kitchen!!!!.  Period!

BB

Yeah this was a ask forgiveness later kind of situation.. when she finally noticed what I was doing , she hovered until all “gross” stuff was off the island Hahahaha

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

3/19/2020 9:17 AM  #27

Next up:  GABAVIRUS

Coming to a kitchen near you!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/19/2020 10:03 AM  #28

MS wrote:

Next up:  GABAVIRUS

Coming to a kitchen near you!

Hahahahahaha!

I needed that laugh.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/20/2020 10:30 AM  #29

GABAVIRUS good one MS

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

3/20/2020 10:35 AM  #30

3/20/2020 10:57 AM  #31

Is there a test kit available

3/20/2020 12:49 PM  #32

Looks like those heads are cut for o-rings. Are you going to run boost?

3/20/2020 1:03 PM  #33

Raymond_B wrote:

I think that's just squish area.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/20/2020 1:03 PM  #34

Raymond_B wrote:

No I’m not ... I’m letting that oring groove be there as it ... There is no insert in the groove, and the machine shop I’m working with said I could easily use those heads for the compression I’m running (10:1) with a normal gasket ,

3/20/2020 1:04 PM  #35

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

I think that's just squish area.

No these heads are cut for o-rings .. the new one I bought doesn’t have that groove. 10 years ago, edelbrock used to add this ring on customer request .. they don’t anymore .

3/20/2020 1:16 PM  #36

Gaba wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

No I’m not ... I’m letting that oring groove be there as it ... There is no insert in the groove, and the machine shop I’m working with said I could easily use those heads for the compression I’m running (10:1) with a normal gasket ,

Good to know about the gasket as that was my next question

3/20/2020 2:46 PM  #37

After reading the definition, I'm pretty sure that ain't you Gaba. Funny though.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (3/20/2020 2:47 PM)

3/20/2020 3:06 PM  #38

Pretty sure you'll have to run an o-ring on the head that's cut for one.  Basically the o-rings act at a stainless steel spring that allow the combustion chamber to still seal even when the head lifts up off the block a little bit.  Without the o-ring I don't think the combustion chamber sealing ring in the gasket will work effectively because it won't lie flat against the head; there will be a recessed area above it.

Trick Flow used to have instructions with their o-ringed heads that said if you weren't going to run o-rings you needed to mill the heads flat to remove the grooves.

If the machine shop says its okay I'd ask if they will R&R the head if its leaks.  If they say yes, then rock on.  If not then I'd at least get another opinion from another engine builder/machine shop. 

3/20/2020 10:36 PM  #39

TKOPerformance wrote:

Pretty sure you'll have to run an o-ring on the head that's cut for one.  Basically the o-rings act at a stainless steel spring that allow the combustion chamber to still seal even when the head lifts up off the block a little bit.  Without the o-ring I don't think the combustion chamber sealing ring in the gasket will work effectively because it won't lie flat against the head; there will be a recessed area above it.

Trick Flow used to have instructions with their o-ringed heads that said if you weren't going to run o-rings you needed to mill the heads flat to remove the grooves.

If the machine shop says its okay I'd ask if they will R&R the head if its leaks.  If they say yes, then rock on.  If not then I'd at least get another opinion from another engine builder/machine shop. 

Just for information sake ...

If ... I use the Felpro 1006, the gasket compresses down to 0.039 and the normal gasket( 9333PT-1)  to be used on the other side compresses down to 0.047”.. is that a difference too great?

Also I don’t see a steel wire in this head .. that something I need to install?

3/20/2020 10:59 PM  #40

Just to eliminate the 'chance' of a problem...I would use the same thickness of gasket (0.039 would be my vote for the+ CR)

Not sure (gasket MAY seal around the groove !?)
I would check with the machinist and ask "Are YOU SURE?!"this one grooved head ain't gonna come back and bite me in the A$$?! IF he's as reputable as you say........he should tell the truth.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2020 5:03 AM  #41

I would not use different gaskets side to side. 

There are several ways that o-rings work.  There are "lockwire" gaskets that have a raised ring around the chamber meant for use with o-ringed heads.  There are small flat o-rings used on top of conventional gaskets.  There are o-rings that seal the combustion chamber meant for use with solid copper gaskets (typically coated in a sealer to seal the water jacket).

I can't find anything online about what Edelbrock wanted used with their heads.  You could contact their tech department.

If it were me, I'd mill the groove off that head and mill the other one to match.  If this bumped compression beyond what I wanted, or reduced quench distance too much I'd just make up the difference with a gasket of appropriate thickness. 

3/21/2020 9:32 AM  #42

I have used plain gaskets with "o-ring" heads and with the "o-ring" in the block. I always find a gauge of copper wire that fills the groove to support the gasket. Only on street engines, On race engines we always use the wire or o-ring that the groove was designed for. Memory tells me 10.3 to one was the highest compression we did that on. 

3/21/2020 10:25 AM  #43

DC wrote:

I have used plain gaskets with "o-ring" heads and with the "o-ring" in the block. I always find a gauge of copper wire that fills the groove to support the gasket. Only on street engines, On race engines we always use the wire or o-ring that the groove was designed for. Memory tells me 10.3 to one was the highest compression we did that on. 

Flat copper wire? Where does one find such a thing?

3/21/2020 10:29 AM  #44

My guess is that it is a round wire that compresses when the head is torqued down. ICBWT

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/21/2020 10:47 AM  #45

When you torque the head the round wire goes flat partially and embeds in the gasket as well. Since copper expands well with heat, the hotter you get the better it seals. I always cut the wire to hug the outside of the groove.
And I made sure the ends were cut flat with a smoothing file.

Last edited by DC (3/21/2020 10:48 AM)

3/21/2020 11:14 AM  #46

do you roll it by hand or.......some type of wire roller?!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2020 12:22 PM  #47

DC wrote:

When you torque the head the round wire goes flat partially and embeds in the gasket as well. Since copper expands well with heat, the hotter you get the better it seals. I always cut the wire to hug the outside of the groove.
And I made sure the ends were cut flat with a smoothing file.

Copper wire of any specific thickness?

3/21/2020 12:34 PM  #48

I always measure the groove to figure groove cross section area. Length X width = area. Then pick a wire with slightly smaller area. I am talking single strand wire not multiple strands.

3/21/2020 12:49 PM  #49

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would not use different gaskets side to side. 

If it were me, I'd mill the groove off that head and mill the other one to match.  If this bumped compression beyond what I wanted, or reduced quench distance too much I'd just make up the difference with a gasket of appropriate thickness. 

I'd do this to keep things symmetrical. That said, back in tyre 70's my brother had a 64.5 with a screaming 289 that rarely lost a race. After teardown for a rebuild he found that the dealer had done some warranty work that resulted in 2 replaced pistons, of different cr and weight!!! YMMV.

3/23/2020 3:30 PM  #50

One more step closer ..
Old head valves spring were too weak .. test showed 100lb off after sitting there for years compressed .. valve seals were still very pliable , and installed height was the same as the new head from edelbrock (1.80”)
So , all I had to do was replace those springs with new ones from edelbrock. The part number is visible here .. those are the springs for my 60399 heads

The green Velcro strap was my safety addition ... that was a necessary finger saver when the compressor prongs slipped a few times!

Went well, all 8 springs changed out ...  slow and steady.. quarantine work ;)

Old ones all out ..

Last edited by Gaba (3/23/2020 3:34 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.