FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2020 3:37 PM  #1

Another one bites the dust

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/19/2020 5:29 PM  #2

Re: Another one bites the dust

6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/19/2020 5:32 PM  #3

I wonder if the virus stuff was just the final straw? I am so bummed all around me small businesses and their employees are truly struggling.

3/19/2020 5:34 PM  #4

We must be near the last of the Mustang building guys.

3/19/2020 5:52 PM  #5

NPD is still doing business. I hadn't ordered from Mustangs Unlimited for quite a few years. Sad to see though. This definitely is a new world we live in.......

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/19/2020 5:56 PM  #6

That's too bad. I ordered the majority of my parts from them and always had good service.

3/19/2020 6:54 PM  #7

I hate to see it and I think Steve Gis right. These were our dream cars when we were kids and today's youngsters would rather race rice rockets. When was the last time you saw a 32 Duce crusing down the road for no reason.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/20/2020 6:14 AM  #8

Writing's been on the wall with this for a while now.  They were selling stuff like 50% off a couple months back, and they had almost nothing left in stock.  I also used to buy a lot from them.  Their locations made sure I got most stuff in 1-2 days without having to pay shipping.

I too like NPD, think I'll start using them more. 

3/20/2020 8:06 AM  #9

That's sad to see.  I've ordered some stuff from them before and had a good experience.

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

3/20/2020 6:13 PM  #10

Cj Pony and NPD are my go to thsse days.i read a lot of complaints about Cj ,but I have always been very happy with the service.

3/20/2020 6:14 PM  #11

Steve-G wrote:

Cj Pony and NPD are my go to thsse days.i read a lot of complaints about Cj ,but I have always been very happy with the service.

I use local, NPD and CJ. I have never had problems with any of them.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/20/2020 6:24 PM  #12

RV6 wrote:

Steve-G wrote:

I use local, NPD and CJ. I have never had problems with any of them.

Same, plus I use John's mustang in Houston and of course, summit

3/20/2020 7:06 PM  #13

Wow... Must have been a slow lead up with a quick announcement.
I wonder if this will have a flow on effect to the actual part manufacturers such as Scott Drake?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

3/20/2020 7:53 PM  #14

Stevo wrote:

I wonder if this will have a flow on effect to the actual part manufacturers such as Scott Drake?

I try to stay away from anything Scott Drake. His stuff has definitely gone down in quality from what he sold before. I use NPD almost exclusively and usually get good quality stuff from them. 

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

3/20/2020 8:16 PM  #15

I wasn't too tickled with NPD when I had to order the tranny support. Wouldn't fit until I whooped out the angle grinder.
I called and told them it was NOT the piece they had pictured and I had to grind a bunch on it to get a good fit.
I needed a new rubber support and he sent it and said no charge! Pretty nice....he didn't have to do that.
Made me feel better about the poor fit.
The rubber support was a perfect fit..........just perfect...perfect (Pres. Trump talk!)
6sal

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2020 4:55 AM  #16

Ron68 wrote:

Stevo wrote:

I try to stay away from anything Scott Drake. His stuff has definitely gone down in quality from what he sold before. I use NPD almost exclusively and usually get good quality stuff from them. 

Yeah, Scott Drake's stuff is pretty hit or miss anymore.  It used to be a quality name you could trust building first rate reproductions.  Now they trade on the reputation that name built while selling half decent products and half junk.  They've made inroads into the Fox era cars too, which is also disappointing. 

3/21/2020 8:24 AM  #17

I wouldn't be surprised that CJ's isn't circling the drain. They expanded into other things that was already over populated by vendors. They keep very little inventory on hand. Five yrs. ago you waited your turn in line for showroom parts counter. The last time I was the only one there. The place looked like ghost town in side, just one sales person.
They quit coming to Carlisle's spring and fall shows plus the big one Ford National's in June 5 yrs ago. There biggest problem is their back orders that takes a month or more to get. They sometimes will say it's in their Henderson NV. store. They have no real store there, it's S. Drake.

Last edited by red351 (3/21/2020 8:25 AM)

3/21/2020 12:29 PM  #18

TKOPerformance wrote:

Ron68 wrote:

Stevo wrote:

Yeah, Scott Drake's stuff is pretty hit or miss anymore.  It used to be a quality name you could trust building first rate reproductions.  Now they trade on the reputation that name built while selling half decent products and half junk.  They've made inroads into the Fox era cars too, which is also disappointing. 

In January 2016, the Huron Capital group purchased a majority stake in the Drake Group, essentially funding Scott Drake’s retirement. We can probably trace the decline in the Scott Drake products to that date.

3/22/2020 11:41 AM  #19

red351 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised that CJ's isn't circling the drain. They expanded into other things that was already over populated by vendors. They keep very little inventory on hand. Five yrs. ago you waited your turn in line for showroom parts counter. The last time I was the only one there. The place looked like ghost town in side, just one sales person.
They quit coming to Carlisle's spring and fall shows plus the big one Ford National's in June 5 yrs ago. There biggest problem is their back orders that takes a month or more to get. They sometimes will say it's in their Henderson NV. store. They have no real store there, it's S. Drake.

I stopped buying from them close to 10 years ago. Too many bad experiences with them. One case I ordered something over the phone only to find out right out it was on sale for internet orders. The salesman never said anything. Now if you go to any store if a item is on sale if you order it or if it's about to go on sale, they'll tell you. So I'm a little pissed seeing it on sale and never told. I call them up, speak to one of the owners. The owner says to me " why should we tell you it's on sale, I'd loose money". Oh wow, great customer service. I ordered a set of MAC headers to pick up at there tent at Carlisle. I go to the tent, they sold my headers to someone else! Now they're on back order. After weeks of waiting they get shipped to my house. It literally looked like they went scrounging around their shop to find bits and pieces to complete the order then dumped into a big box with nothing wrapped. Holes in the box, I'm amazed nothing got lost. So I'm looking at the headers. Wrong headers. They sent me Fox body headers. I call them up. They don't want to hear anything about them being wrong. They insist I have the right headers period. So I asked them if these are correct, why do they have O2 bungs? Their response, 66 Mustangs need them because they came with O2 sensors! I'm not making this up. I cancelled the order and sent the headers back. I've had other dealings like this as well. I'll sell my Mustang and buy a Prius before I'll ever, ever buy from CJ!

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

3/22/2020 12:39 PM  #20

Hit or miss I guess. I've dropped a lot of coin with cj lately. Only issue I had was with a center drag link. When I got the box, it had a hole in it where the link exited in transit...someone must have hit the eject button. Called customer service, explained what happened, sent them a pic and a replacement was expedited. Only complaint with them is the RPM points you earn are gone if not used in a certain timeframe. My feeling is they should never expire.

3/22/2020 7:19 PM  #21

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.