FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2020 9:49 AM  #1

led blinker fixed

I have all LED bulbs in my 65 they look great but with the lights on the Bulbs wouldn't flash right, this is a issue with the 1157 bulbs, It is all about the grounds. So after some research and trying a few different LED flashers I found that you need a LED Flasher that has a separate ground wire. I got mine from HiPO Parts Garage,  Part; RELAY-LED-02  description; 12V electronic signal Relay w/ Ground wire for LED.

​This Relay flasher is designed for LEDs only, You cant have the old bulbs mixed in  I works like a charm plus unlike other LED flashers you can hear the click when the flashers are turned on  

65 coupe, 351w, c4, power disk brakes, power r&p, vintage air.

3/20/2020 12:33 PM  #2

Re: led blinker fixed

Hey Bear, you should try BB's improved LED park/tail/stop/turn light fix.  Uses a combo of 1157 LED bulbs, two incandescent 1157 bulbs, a stone stock bi-metal flasher (available anywhere), and makes the tail/stop/turns very visible.  Oh...and it's a whole bunch cheaper than buying special electronic do-dads.

BB-1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/20/2020 1:28 PM  #3

lol now ya tell me 

3/20/2020 1:54 PM  #4

BB,  can you post a link to your improved LED park/tail/stop/turn light fix?

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

3/20/2020 5:27 PM  #5

Dkralc wrote:

BB,  can you post a link to your improved LED park/tail/stop/turn light fix?

Probably not, butt (TS&T), if you PM me your email addy I'll send the diagram and some instructions.
So far it's been used on our car and one other with zero complaints.

BB-1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/20/2020 7:17 PM  #6

I am using a resistor in series with my taillight LEDs.  Everything works as normal and no special flashers needed.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/21/2020 4:53 AM  #7

Motorcycles have this same issue but many have a dedicated "module" to control the lighting so replacing just a flasher isn't an option.  They use resistors instead - there are tons of kits with resistors out there to fix the problem.  I believe, though, that the resistors have to be in parallel with the LEDs, not in series.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/21/2020 6:18 AM  #8

John Ha wrote:

Motorcycles have this same issue but many have a dedicated "module" to control the lighting so replacing just a flasher isn't an option.  They use resistors instead - there are tons of kits with resistors out there to fix the problem.  I believe, though, that the resistors have to be in parallel with the LEDs, not in series.

Thanks, John.  Went to bed thinking about MS's comment.  Those RX need to cause an increase in current flow, not drop voltage.  I get the same effect by using one incandescent bulb in parallel with the LEDs.  I do have to have diode on each side to stop the turn sigs from flashing both sides.

BB-1

3/21/2020 2:33 PM  #9

I'm no electrical engineer, but doesn't current take the path of least resistance?  That said, in parallel, it seems like the least amount of current to light the bulb would just pass through the bulb, and the resistor would just get ignored in the circuit?  I am probably wrong, but please 'splan it to me, Lucy.

The two kits I bought at OReilly are wired in series, as I recall.  Whatever the case, they resulted in everything working properly.

3/21/2020 3:15 PM  #10

The benefit of led’s is cool operation and low current draw that is why they need a special flasher, a resistor in series defeats the purpose, touch it, it gets hot.
The resistor in series makes the led draw the same current as an incandescent bulb so a regular flasher module will work.
A led flasher usually has a pigtail ground wire.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/21/2020 4:13 PM  #11

Rudi wrote:

T
The resistor in series makes the led draw the same current as an incandescent bulb so a regular flasher module will work.

Rudi, did you mean "resistor in parallel" here?

MS:  The LEDs have a very high resistance, hence, they don't pass enough current (.1 amp or so) through the bi-metal flasher to make it operate.  The added parallel resistor of say 20 ohms or so will pass something over a half amp when connected from the hot wire to ground.  That's enough to heat the bi-metal  flasher.  But, you are getting nothing but heat for the wasted current flow.  If you use an incandescent bulb to provide the needed flasher current, you at least get the light for the added current draw.
If the RX is connected in series with the LEDs it really does nothing since it only passes the current that's required by the downstream load...the LEDs.

3/22/2020 7:40 AM  #12

MS wrote:

I'm no electrical engineer, but doesn't current take the path of least resistance?  That said, in parallel, it seems like the least amount of current to light the bulb would just pass through the bulb, and the resistor would just get ignored in the circuit?  I am probably wrong, but please 'splan it to me, Lucy.

The two kits I bought at OReilly are wired in series, as I recall.  Whatever the case, they resulted in everything working properly.

LEDs do need a series resistance to work in a 12 V system since a typical LED only requires 2-3 V and a few milliamps to illuminate.  There is a need to have the series resistance to function as a voltage divider.  

However, the issue with the flasher not working right is that there is too little current.  So you need a way to increase the current through the circuit to a value equivalent to what a bulb draws.  

Remember Ohm's Law:  Voltage = Current x Resistance or, restated, Current = Voltage/Resistance.  

To increase current for a constant voltage input, you need to reduce the total resistance of the circuit.  Adding a resistor in series increases the circuit resistance while adding a parallel resistor decreases the total resistance - in a parallel resistance circuit, the total resistance is calculated using (R1 x R2)/(R1+R2).  I leave the math to the reader :-)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

3/22/2020 8:08 AM  #13

Just to keep it straight...a "12Volt LED" is manufactured with the necessary series resistance.  No additional resistor is required for the LED.

BB1

3/22/2020 9:51 AM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

T

Rudi, did you mean "resistor in parallel" here?

MS:  The LEDs have a very high resistance, hence, they don't pass enough current (.1 amp or so) through the bi-metal flasher to make it operate.  The added parallel resistor of say 20 ohms or so will pass something over a half amp when connected from the hot wire to ground.  That's enough to heat the bi-metal  flasher.  But, you are getting nothing but heat for the wasted current flow.  If you use an incandescent bulb to provide the needed flasher current, you at least get the light for the added current draw.
If the RX is connected in series with the LEDs it really does nothing since it only passes the current that's required by the downstream load...the LEDs.

No I meant series.
If you put a resistor  in parallel with a led, the combination will have less resistance  than the lowest component.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/22/2020 12:24 PM  #15

I didn't want to use resistor because they get hot and really defeats the purpose of using LEDs. the reason I am using LEDs is the drop in the amount of amperage draw on the system and make the electrical system more efficient.    

3/22/2020 1:32 PM  #16

First thing I ALWAYS do with my blinkers is.................check-the-fluid-level!   Saves a lotta time and heartache.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/22/2020 1:44 PM  #17

I vote for LED's with the correct flasher.  Nice and bright.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

3/22/2020 4:55 PM  #18

Thanks Rudi and Bearcat

This makes sense. My resistors require same current as incandescent bulbs to operate an LED.  i will consider swapping the flashers and eliminating the resistors.  I want to add LED front turn signals and backup lights as well. So, buying two flashers should be just as cost effective as four resistors.

3/22/2020 5:18 PM  #19

MS wrote:

I am using a resistor in series with my taillight LEDs. Everything works as normal and no special flashers needed.

Yup, same here....no problemo.

Got these thru Steve/Glen Buzek aka Steve's Mustang Parts right after the Wimberly Bash, easy peasy,/plug & play👍

https://www.cjponyparts.com/tail-light-assembly-led-1965-1966/p/TLLED12/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlPWc2Jqv6AIVArbICh2J1A-AEAQYASABEgIMWvD_BwE

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

3/22/2020 6:10 PM  #20

Steve, check out Gary's daytime running lights/indicator combo, and his 700 lumen reverse lights. Dearer than most, but the best stuff you can get IMHO. And a nice guy.
https://vintageleds.com/1964-1966

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/22/2020 6:35 PM  #21

MS wrote:

Thanks Rudi and Bearcat

This makes sense. My resistors require same current as incandescent bulbs to operate an LED. i will consider swapping the flashers and eliminating the resistors. I want to add LED front turn signals and backup lights as well. So, buying two flashers should be just as cost effective as four resistors.

I haven't used an electronic flasher so the guys that have can correct me if I wrong. They make a 2 and 3 prong electronic flashers with a ground. For older cars you would use the 2 prong plug it into where your old flasher was and connect the ground. You only need one. I've seen them listed were they can handle 20 to 25 amps. That would handle any combo of either or LED/incandescent bulbs. These are only around $15 why play around.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/22/2020 8:28 PM  #22

My car has an extra flasher for the emergency flasher circuit.

3/24/2020 11:23 AM  #23

Our cars are 2 pronged ,  a 3 pronged one might have the ground as the 3rd not sure and I hadn't looked into them that far. I do have a led 2prong on the bench maybe I will pull it apart and see if it has a place to add a ground.

3/24/2020 12:16 PM  #24

I believe the three prong flasher provides output for a single turn signal dash light. 
BB

3/24/2020 4:00 PM  #25

I'm odd and I know it. I am not a fan of LED lights except for certain applications. What I don't like is the instant on/off of LED lights. They're harsh to the eyes. Incandescent bulbs are soft on and off due to their need to heat up and cool down. This to me is a lot easier on the eyes. So I installed 3 incandescent bulbs per taillight on my 67. They are bright, they turn on/off soft and do the job. I did learn that brake light switches and turn signal switches did not like the extra amperage draw of the extra bulb. The car now sports several relays to control the running/brake lights. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.