FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2020 11:16 AM  #1

Does old "new" oil go bad ?

Helping my sisters clean out my mom and dads house I came across 20 quarts of oil. I'm not sure how old it is.
Half is Havoline Supreme 10-40 w API service SF SE, half is Amoco 10-40 w LDO API SG/CC. 1 Quart has a price tag Phar-Mor 79 cents. Plus then I found a couple more quarts in metal cans also 10-40 w.I was wondering  that
this would be good to run in 351 sometime after break in.  Just putting this out there someone might know.
All oil still sealed.         mustang stu

3/21/2020 11:50 AM  #2

Re: Does old "new" oil go bad ?

Sealed tin cans!!!
I can’t say that oil will stay good or go bad over 2 or 3 decades. My thought process goes to how many $$$$ I have invested in the motor that I would pour it into trying to save a few bucks. If it’s still good, then no worries. If it has separated some how!!!! Could be bad.

So, for my Mustang, no. A lawnmower or driver that leaks badly or burns oil, sure. Those already have problems / living on borrowed time. Just my thoughts.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/21/2020 12:03 PM  #3

A lot a aviation lubricants; Aeroshell, Exxon, etc state the shelf live is 10 years in quarts and 5 years in pails. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/21/2020 12:38 PM  #4

Only oil I ever had go bad was some synthetic stuff that the additives settled out of and would not mix back in. I even talked to the manufacturer about it and they said to throw it away and they sent me a new case. Theat was over one winter of sitting. 

3/21/2020 12:41 PM  #5

I'd keep one for shelf art, then sell the rest on fleabay.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/21/2020 12:48 PM  #6

I think the biggest issue is the newer formulations have much better additive packages.

3/21/2020 3:56 PM  #7

I wouldn't put it in an engine.  If its old enough to be collectible its worth something.  I'd sell it, maybe keep one of each for nostalgia's sake. 

3/21/2020 4:50 PM  #8

Bearing Bob wrote:

I'd keep one for shelf art, then sell the rest on fleabay.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              THIS!!
6sal6
You read it here first!!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/21/2020 4:56 PM  #9

Oil that 50 million yrs old is still good, isn't it

3/21/2020 5:57 PM  #10

red351 wrote:

Oil that 50 million yrs old is still good, isn't it

Hey Red, 50 million year old oil gets refined before its put in a bottle.

3/22/2020 6:47 AM  #11

Boiled you are right, but 40 more yrs in a sealed bottle is nothing in the time frame.

3/22/2020 8:25 AM  #12

red351 wrote:

Boiled you are right, but 40 more yrs in a sealed bottle is nothing in the time frame.

Very true

3/22/2020 5:07 PM  #13

Might be able to buy a new 351 for what you can sell that one metal can of new oil!!!

Or not, but I bet there are collectors out there that want it.

Otherwise, good chain bar lube for your chain saw or bicycle chain. (OK, now time for TKO to explain chain lube has different properties and motor oil is not acceptable substitute).

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/23/2020 6:35 AM  #14

MS wrote:

Might be able to buy a new 351 for what you can sell that one metal can of new oil!!!

Or not, but I bet there are collectors out there that want it.

Otherwise, good chain bar lube for your chain saw or bicycle chain. (OK, now time for TKO to explain chain lube has different properties and motor oil is not acceptable substitute).

@#$% MS, we've used near everything for bar and chain lube over the years, used motor oil, gear oil curt with ATF, and DEFINITELY expired oil.  Its got different properties sure, but with the amount we cut the chains wear out from being sharpened repeatedly before anything else happens. The trick is to mix up something that will flow through the oil pump and be just a touch tacky.  I swear, sometimes its like you really don't know me at all

3/23/2020 11:11 AM  #15

MS wrote:

Hilarious! Who said engineers aren't funny?

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/28/2020 9:13 AM  #16

I guess after coming this far on the project, (351w into 67 coupe), it would be penny wise and dollar dumb
to use this oil. I may give to some friends, I know that have oil burners and leakers. Between the rebuild on the
351w,new carb,clutch,exhaust,flywheel,moog lower control arms,spring saddles,shocks,aluminum radiator,
and more, I guess I'll for spring for new oil with additives,for a flat tappet cam. 
THANKS FOR THE INPUT mustang stu

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.