FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2020 2:25 PM  #1

Travel plans?

Weekend travel?

3/22/2020 4:46 PM  #2

Re: Travel plans?

I walked up the new driveway to the shop a couple of times. Pretty much the extent of my travels.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

3/22/2020 7:46 PM  #3

Costco has gas for $1.45 and there wasn't a line!!!........There's a message in there somewhere
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/23/2020 6:40 AM  #4

6sally6 wrote:

Costco has gas for $1.45 and there wasn't a line!!!........There's a message in there somewhere
6sal6

The message is time to buy that 1,000 gallon tank I've talked about for years and fill it with Diesel for $2/gallon or less.  Might be time for a gasoline one.  I don't use near as much of it, BUT if I let it sit long enough the damn ethanol will settle to the bottom and I can draw pure gas off the top. 

3/23/2020 10:41 AM  #5

MS wrote:

I walked up the new driveway to the shop a couple of times. Pretty much the extent of my travels.

Got crazy and went to the food market Saturday morning.  Today my daughter (med biz) told me to order on line and STAY HOME!!!  She seems to think this is gonna get serious...may be right.

Thankfully, between playing with the Heap...got my third replacement AFR gauge from AEM today..., playing with the RC airplanes, and loading a few thousand empty 9mm, 45, 38/357, and 44 mag cases I have plenty to keep me from getting bored for a while.

BB1

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/23/2020 11:03 AM  #6

Bullet Bob,
Looked at my brass stash this morning.
Great way to pass the hours waiting out the virus.
Cman66

3/23/2020 11:47 AM  #7

Bullet Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

Got crazy and went to the food market Saturday morning.  Today my daughter (med biz) told me to order on line and STAY HOME!!!  She seems to think this is gonna get serious...may be right.

Thankfully, between playing with the Heap...got my third replacement AFR gauge from AEM today..., playing with the RC airplanes, and loading a few thousand empty 9mm, 45, 38/357, and 44 mag cases I have plenty to keep me from getting bored for a while.

BB1

BB1

I quit after this one. Two and a half years to build . . . one minute of air time. Scratch  built from plans including the retracts ,  I bought the Mustang shortly after.
 Lets see what you fly!

Last edited by Rudi (3/23/2020 12:20 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/23/2020 1:21 PM  #8

Nothing that detailed...or nice.  I'm still the master of the single point landing so I fly foam.  I do have three balsa models, two trainer types and am just finishing a little Sig kit.  I let my friend test fly them but until I feel there's a chance I can bring 'em home in one chunk I stick to foam.
That is a real beauty, Rudi.   My test pilot and I went to the "Warbirds Over the Rockies" meet last Sept. in Denver.  I'll drag out some pix...I'm sure there's a Mustang in there...and post 'em in the next day or so. 
Very sorry to hear that you broke that beauty.  My son gave me a T-shirt for Xmas:  "Build It - Fly It - Crash It - Rebuild It"  My story.

There's also a couple of other RC guys on here...BobC and Corky...maybe others.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (3/23/2020 1:25 PM)

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/23/2020 1:31 PM  #9

Yeah Bob, the t shirt says it all, rc models are all terminal.

3/23/2020 1:37 PM  #10

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

The message is time to buy that 1,000 gallon tank I've talked about for years and fill it with Diesel for $2/gallon or less.  Might be time for a gasoline one.  I don't use near as much of it, BUT if I let it sit long enough the damn ethanol will settle to the bottom and I can draw pure gas off the top. 

Well, living in the 'home of ethanol' E-10 is actually 84 octane, the ethanol boosts octane to 87. And the ethanol that settles to the bottom will be loaded with water, which will rust your storage tank. 

3/23/2020 2:25 PM  #11

ChrisH IA wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

Well, living in the 'home of ethanol' E-10 is actually 84 octane, the ethanol boosts octane to 87. And the ethanol that settles to the bottom will be loaded with water, which will rust your storage tank. 

I'd only buy high test.  When we used to have storage tanks at home that's what we did.  A little octane booster might be needed for two of my vehicles, or I could just cut it with a little race gas.  Unfortunately the corrosion issue exists whether the fuel has ethanol in it or not.  The tanks condensate when not completely full, the water settles to the bottom and rust is possible.  I'm curious what DuPont is doing, because the settle out method is what they use to remove the ethanol at all their sites.  One of their plant ops people told me about it.  They drain off the bottom of the tank every so often I know, but I also wonder if their tanks are lined, polymer, etc.  All buried fuel tanks are now some form of polymer or composite. 

3/23/2020 2:46 PM  #12

When this gas-o-haul first can out 'they say'...you could mix 1/2 -87 unleaded with  1/2 -69 leaded and get 92 octane fuel! Something about the mixing of the two made it increase the octane!
Anybody besides me ever do that?!
6sal6
PS  How 'bout the mothballs in the regular gas to = hi test gas trick?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

3/23/2020 3:44 PM  #13

I racked up a lot of frequent flier miles doing short hops to the beer frig.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

3/23/2020 6:31 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

When this gas-o-haul first can out 'they say'...you could mix 1/2 -87 unleaded with  1/2 -69 leaded and get 92 octane fuel! Something about the mixing of the two made it increase the octane!
Anybody besides me ever do that?!
6sal6
PS  How 'bout the mothballs in the regular gas to = hi test gas trick?!

Did both of those during the 70's fuel crisis. Not so sure the moth balls ever did anything though. Also put a quart jar with water and a copper pipe with holes in it hooked up to the vacuum line. Not sure it did anything either excep creat a vacuum leak with water filtered air. I think it was supposed to act as water injection.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

3/23/2020 9:15 PM  #15

No place to go in Virginia so I went to the garage. Doing exciting stuff like cleaning out drawers and rearranging tools. Going to take the kayak out for some bass fishing. It's like a ghost town around here.

"anyone that stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty"Henry Ford

3/23/2020 10:31 PM  #16

6sally6 wrote:

6sal6

Yes everyone is out looking for toilet paper, no time for fuel. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/23/2020 10:40 PM  #17

Well we are in lock down here now so I guess working from home only leaves me going to the train room. Mustang is ready for any road trip, just know where to go. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/23/2020 10:40 PM  #18

A coworker said one the Bars was having some kind of raffle.

“The #2 prize was a pack of toilet paper” 😂

3/23/2020 10:42 PM  #19

Cab4word67 wrote:

Well we are in lock down here now so I guess working from home only leaves me going to the train room. Mustang is ready for any road trip, just know where to go. 

Looks like a wreck waiting to happen 😁

Pretty cool setup.

Last edited by Nos681 (3/23/2020 10:43 PM)

3/24/2020 6:09 AM  #20

The active ingredient in mothballs used to be napthalene.  Napthalene reduces detonation sensitivity in fuels, thus raising research octane rating.  It also helps create a smooth burn.  Be careful though, too much can cause excessive chamber temperatures and trash your engine.  Napthalene has an octane rating of about 90-92 from a blending standpoint.  So, you're not going to turn anything into race gas with them, but they would raise the octane of really crappy fuel.

Also, be careful, most mothballs today are not made from napthalene, they are made from paradichlorbenzene or another benzene, which don't have the same effect. 

3/24/2020 8:06 AM  #21

I did the Xylene thing before it got expensive. God forbid you ever get some on the paint. So glad we are home now. Trips are limited to house and garage and back.

3/24/2020 9:22 AM  #22

Cab4word67 wrote:

Quite impressive, are your a dealer?  I need some parts for my Lionel trains.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/24/2020 9:38 AM  #23

Rudi wrote:

The guy that ramrods that meet in Denver has an F104...about 10' long and turbine powered.  The word is that he has about $60K invested in it (he's a local Ford dealer).  If I can make it load one of these days I'll post the video of it taking off.  Totally awesome except during that flight it suffered a flame-out and crashed.  His response when we talked to him was, "if you fly these things and never crash...you really ain't flying."  There were four other crashes of really nice models flow by guys who really know what they are doing.  Made me feel a little better about my abilities.

BB

3/24/2020 9:51 AM  #24

I had travel plans until some jack hole sneezed..

3/24/2020 10:12 AM  #25

Bullet Bob wrote:

Rudi wrote:

The guy that ramrods that meet in Denver has an F104...about 10' long and turbine powered.  The word is that he has about $60K invested in it (he's a local Ford dealer).  If I can make it load one of these days I'll post the video of it taking off.  Totally awesome except during that flight it suffered a flame-out and crashed.  His response when we talked to him was, "if you fly these things and never crash...you really ain't flying."  There were four other crashes of really nice models flow by guys who really know what they are doing.  Made me feel a little better about my abilities.

BB

If you hone your skills on inexpensive arf’s you will develop confidence, eventually.
My issue was that at the time the radio’s, 27.255 mega hertz, were not reliable and that their performance did not match my building skills.
I could accept my goof ups but not the radios failures.
You tube has some great videos on RC, I like watching them and reminiscing.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.