FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2020 6:45 AM  #1

What brand of tires are you running

I need to purchase new tires I’m running right now Goodyear Eagle GT‘s I was told by Goodyear they’re no longer manufactured so I’m looking for a New tire without raised white letters just wondering what everyone is running I thought about going with Cooper cobra GT’s but I cannot get them  without the raised white letters

3/24/2020 7:07 AM  #2

Re: What brand of tires are you running

The last set of tires I bought for the 65 had RWL.  I just had Discount Tire put the RWL to the inside.  Sizes are very limited in 14", I couldn't make limit it more by looking for blackwall only.

3/24/2020 7:40 AM  #3

I just replaced BFG Sport Comp II's which are a fine tire but a bit too high performance for my needs.  They are not AS and are a uni-directional tire. 
I changed to the BFG Advantage T/A which is an AS tire and onmi-directional.  They are quiet, seem to handle well and work well in the rain or, God forbid, snow.
I'm running 17" wheels so your availability may vary.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

3/24/2020 7:46 AM  #4

I got a pair Dunlop 245/50r15 (made in Japan) for the back of the red car in Feb. It's real limited for 14's & 15. There's still BFG radial TA in more sizes, but after 3 tire failures over the last 8 yrs I don't do them anymore. Yes the letters are inside

3/24/2020 9:35 AM  #5

BFG "Traction T/A", 225/60-15.  Came w/raised 'outline' letters, placed them on the inside.  Happy with them.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

3/24/2020 9:45 AM  #6

BFG Sport Comp II's, 16" rims. Car has been sitting for a couple of years, rear axle off the ground though fronts are planted. So I'm real curious as to hoe the tires have been effected. BFG T/A's do not like this treatment and will fail soon after being put back on the road. With several experiences T/A's I'm leary of the newer BFG's

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

3/24/2020 9:47 AM  #7

New bfg radial ta's, letters out....i like living on the edge..

3/24/2020 10:30 AM  #8

My first set of T/A's were out, current set in, ( wifes choice ) I blacked them out with a jumbo felt tip.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

3/24/2020 11:04 AM  #9

I am running Cooper CS5 ultra touring on my 66 with 15in wheels. 2056015 in front and 2256015 in back. They were one of the few that still offered tires in the sizes I want to use. No raised white letters.

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

3/24/2020 12:12 PM  #10

Pirelli P- Zero Nero GT All season

I like them for the traction in cold weather in my neck of the woods.
Weather in my area is nothing like down south.
True with most performance/summer tires, when the temps hover around 40-50 F,
there is no traction...you get to spin out without even trying.

I have also looked at Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 and
Nitto’s (NEOGEN, NT555G2, INVO).

I’m not overly concerned about tread wear especially with the compounds they can use in tires today.
I primarily look at Traction (AA) and Temperature (A) ratings to start my search.
Of course the right diameter and sidewall plays it’s part too.

Sometimes you’re at the mercy of the manufacturers for availability in your diameter.
I gave up on 14” & 15” tires due to price and traction and temp ratings.
Overpriced was my determination.
Heck, grandma in her mini van with high performance suv/van tires will put ya to shame. 😂

There may be more no name tires, but I have no experience with them yet.
Maybe in the future.
Good luck hunting!

Last edited by Nos681 (3/24/2020 12:13 PM)

3/24/2020 1:06 PM  #11

Sumitomos on both my '67 and '89.

3/24/2020 2:09 PM  #12

Sumitomos for now I just picked up some Michelin tires with some KYB shocks from Mustang Steve on Sunday don’t worry we kept our social distance that’s why their are no pictures lol Garage looks nice!!!!

Last edited by Coupedaddy (3/24/2020 2:18 PM)

3/24/2020 3:32 PM  #13

Last edited by RV6 (3/24/2020 3:34 PM)

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/24/2020 4:56 PM  #14

I like Michelin’s and run Pilot’s on my car.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

3/24/2020 5:43 PM  #15

Bolted to Floor wrote:

I like Michelin’s and run Pilot’s on my car.

John if you like Michelin Pilots, then you'll LOVE Nitto 555 G2s. The Nittos replaced my Pilots.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/24/2020 5:53 PM  #16

The Nitto 555 is a great tire, but they are "squarer" than other brands of the same size.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/25/2020 5:28 AM  #17

Milestar 215/60/15. Made by Cooper and they're speed rated. I've been using Milestar tires for years. Inexpensive and seem to hold up quite well. I've been very happy with them in general.

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

3/25/2020 7:03 AM  #18

What model tire is that Gary?

3/25/2020 8:30 AM  #19

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

3/25/2020 10:41 AM  #20

50vert wrote:

The Nitto 555 is a great tire, but they are "squarer" than other brands of the same size.

Well it certainly fits my personality. And I've been called worse... this week.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

3/25/2020 4:09 PM  #21

Thanks Gary.  Didn’t see the model of the tire.
Nice.

3/25/2020 10:18 PM  #22

50vert wrote:

Isn't a square tire harder to roll than the round ones?

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

3/26/2020 12:49 AM  #23

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

3/26/2020 7:00 AM  #24

🤣

3/26/2020 9:23 AM  #25

I put Firestone Firehawks on mine.  No miles on them yet, but price was reasonable and they get great reviews on Tire Rack.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.