FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2020 9:46 AM  #1

Trunk Mounted Battery in 65-66 Fastback

With additional time at home, my long put off project of moving the battery to the trunk in my 65 Fastback is back.  So, some questions for those that have done this …
    Did you mount on the passenger side?
    If so, what did you do with the spare tire location?
    Did you run the ground cable to the front, or just ground it to the frame in the rear?
Any other info or pictures of your installation is appreciated.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/11/2020 9:52 AM  #2

Re: Trunk Mounted Battery in 65-66 Fastback

Please contact me jj4051@aol.com  I have a much better solution for battery in trunk
PS still dont know how to post picturs here

Last edited by 687072mustang (4/11/2020 9:53 AM)

4/11/2020 10:43 AM  #3

BobE wrote:

With additional time at home, my long put off project of moving the battery to the trunk in my 65 Fastback is back.  So, some questions for those that have done this …
    Did you mount on the passenger side?
    If so, what did you do with the spare tire location?
    Did you run the ground cable to the front, or just ground it to the frame in the rear?
Any other info or pictures of your installation is appreciated.

In my 68 I put the battery on the passenger side. it has a custom billet hold down.
I have not had a spare tire for over 15 years but I carry an inflator with Green Slime sealant for small punctures and a AAA card for large holes and blow outs. Have not used either ...yet!
 I put large ground cable to the frame right by the battery tray, no need for an extra cable to the front.
You guys must be getting sick of me posting these same pictures but here we go again.
The Optima does not need a battery box for street use.

Modified stock 68 battery tray withextra brace that goes on the other side of the trunk drop down.

Tray mounted.

Last edited by Rudi (4/11/2020 10:45 AM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/11/2020 3:02 PM  #4

So you have 2 bolts holding entire assembly in place?
Does exterior have a reinforcement strap with 2 holes?

Neat setup Rudi.

Last edited by Nos681 (4/11/2020 3:04 PM)

4/11/2020 3:45 PM  #5

Yeah, I like that setup a lot Rudi. 

As far as a ground to the front, no reason.  People get caught up on grounding without really understanding it.  Though the engine may be the best ground when you're near it the unibody of the car has significantly more cross sectional area than the engine does.  In truth its a better ground.  I learned that from an electrical engineer.  I always thought a single point of ground was superior, and that the OEMs were just cheap using a bunch of grounds going to the body.  That's actually not the case.  I've used trunk mounted batteries in two cars and grounded them just like Rudi said and they both worked just fine, and one is EFI which is much less tolerant of bad grounds. 

4/11/2020 4:19 PM  #6

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

4/11/2020 4:23 PM  #7

Nos681 wrote:

So you have 2 bolts holding entire assembly in place?
Does exterior have a reinforcement strap with 2 holes?

Neat setup Rudi.

This has the same bolts as it had when mounted in the engine bay, two on top and two on the brace.
 Don't rely on the dinky little ground strap from the right side head to the firewall. I used a  #4 gauge cable from the frame rail to the engine block, ya gotsta have really big grounds  because of the current  capacity needed for the starter.
 Here is a picture of the brace back up which goes under the trunk floor and the exterior trunk floor pan drop off.

4/11/2020 4:37 PM  #8

Adding a ground strap from one of the starter or one of the bellhousing bolts to the framerail is a good idea too.  Short return trip. 

4/11/2020 4:49 PM  #9

That looks nice too Barry.😎

4/11/2020 4:53 PM  #10

Nice work Rudi. Since my kid wanted to install a stereo equipment with an enclosure in the trunk, my battery is attached a bit differently. The Optima battery sits in a recess and is secured with a strap. I welded a ground stud in the trunk (yellow circle), and also ran a ground to the tranny. I kept the solenoid in the engine bay as my BMW has a factory hot feed to the rear battery.

Last edited by Bearing Bob (4/11/2020 4:56 PM)

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/12/2020 4:32 AM  #11

I tend to over do things .I  ran main power to front in that cable there is a mega fuse i n line at battery.Also ran a cable to the starter it is not fused could not figure a good amp draw for starter so it's only powered when starting.The ground is attached to frame rail in rear and the goes to the block,It's jumped from there back over to a ground bar I made..All the motor loads tie to the bar .My thoughts on this process were that this is a forty nine year old  car with some hidden rust affecting grounds.And this is a fuel injected car a was trying to eliminate as much noise as possible in the electrical system.

If its worth doing do it right !

4/12/2020 9:43 AM  #12

Definitely nice installs.
Thanks for sharing information.
I’m using 3G alternator 130 amp.

What size cable are you guys running from trunk to engine compartment?

What route?...and why?

Last edited by Nos681 (4/12/2020 9:44 AM)

4/12/2020 9:53 AM  #13

TKOPerformance wrote:

Yeah, I like that setup a lot Rudi. 

As far as a ground to the front, no reason.  People get caught up on grounding without really understanding it.  Though the engine may be the best ground when you're near it the unibody of the car has significantly more cross sectional area than the engine does.  In truth its a better ground.  I learned that from an electrical engineer.  I always thought a single point of ground was superior, and that the OEMs were just cheap using a bunch of grounds going to the body.  That's actually not the case.  I've used trunk mounted batteries in two cars and grounded them just like Rudi said and they both worked just fine, and one is EFI which is much less tolerant of bad grounds. 

TKO - the reason I ask about running the ground wire up front is that years ago I had a race car (unibody) w/a trunk mounted battery that we grounded in the rear and ran a ground cable from the starter to the frame and had trouble with starting.  When we ran the ground cable directly from the battery to the starter, we didn't have any other issues w/starting.  Anyway, seems like I will ground it in the rear like many posts have responded.

Thank you to all who have responded.

Last edited by BobE (4/12/2020 10:03 AM)

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

4/12/2020 10:27 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

Don't rely on the dinky little ground strap from the right side head to the firewall. I used a  #4 gauge cable from the frame rail to the engine block, ya gotsta have really big grounds  because of the current  capacity needed for the starter.

Remember this ground too as mentioned by Rudi.

4/12/2020 1:44 PM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

What size cable are you guys running from trunk to engine compartment?

What route?...and why?

Big cable, #2 I believe.

I ran my cable over the rear wheelhouse and down the front,thru the bottom gap of the lock pillar, along the recess on the rocker panel, thru the lower gap in the hinge pillar, exit the upper pillar area into the cabin and thru the wheelhouse behind the heater box, tucked up under the upper inner fender at the top flange, pass thru the inner fender below the solenoid.

I used this path as it's protected pretty well, is used by others, and is mostly the same path as Ford used.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/12/2020 3:53 PM  #16

I used  1/0 welding cable  to the starter from the solenoid and 4 ga welding cable to the alternator. I routed them  along the rear wheel tub/quarter panel, onto the floor in the right back seat area,along the inner rocker panel to the pass foot well area. I have 1/2" thick floor insulation so I just cut a 1 " wide groove away so that it carpet sits pretty  flat over it.
I went through the footrest area of the pass side near the starter with the 1/0 to the starter. It's only hot when cranking.
The way I did the 4 ga is more involved. I have a 4 gage cable to a mega fuse right at the battery and from there the 4 ga follows the 1/0 tall the way to where the right frame rail welds to the floor pan. It then goes through the pan and  to the inside of the frame rail, then to the front of the frame rail, through the rad support and then to a junction box in the engine bay where the battery used to be and then to the alternator.
  The frame rail has a neat surprise, a couple of solidly welded internal gussets that I did not know were there, no way for the cable to pass through.  Now I needed a 5 foot long 1 inch drill, so I had to make that up to allow the 4ga to get  through, a major pain in the -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have- just to keep my engine bay wire free.

Here are some cable pictures.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.