FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2020 4:38 PM  #1

Windshield gasket sealer- when and if to apply

When installing the front and window gaskets, should sealant be applied on the frame before installation and/or under the gasket between the glass and the gasket?

4/20/2020 5:40 PM  #2

Re: Windshield gasket sealer- when and if to apply

Yes

4/20/2020 6:54 PM  #3

If you have time, go to Virginia Classic Mustang blog.
There is an excellent video on windshield installation.
Its posted by the guy that does all their restoration work.

cman 66

4/20/2020 7:49 PM  #4

Mustangs to Fear has YouTube videos that show the entire process in detail. They have a video for 65-66 and another video for 69-70.

4/21/2020 5:18 AM  #5

Its hard to seal them without making a mess, so be ready for some cleanup.  I did mine almost 25 years ago by myself (including the fatback rear glass), and the trick I learned was to use a piece of weedwacker cord inside the channel for the glass.  Install the gasket to the body, then, with the cord inside the glass channel, use the cord to roll the gasket over the edge of the glass.  Worked like a charm, and no leaks. 

4/21/2020 7:29 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

Its hard to seal them without making a mess, so be ready for some cleanup.  I did mine almost 25 years ago by myself (including the fatback rear glass), and the trick I learned was to use a piece of weedwacker cord inside the channel for the glass.  Install the gasket to the body, then, with the cord inside the glass channel, use the cord to roll the gasket over the edge of the glass.  Worked like a charm, and no leaks. 

Huh?  I'm having trouble trying to visualize how you managed to keep the cord in the window channel to pull it over the glass.  This process is just bass-akwards from how I have seen it done and done it myself four or five times on VW's and Mustangs. 

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2020 8:15 AM  #7

Yeah, glass in the gasket, cord in the gasket channel that sits in the windshield pinchweld...,

Looks like another bong water change change is in order...

4/21/2020 9:21 AM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Huh?  I'm having trouble trying to visualize how you managed to keep the cord in the window channel to pull it over the glass.  This process is just bass-akwards from how I have seen it done and done it myself four or five times on VW's and Mustangs. 

Bob, view the Mustangs to Fear YouTube video, is shows all, even how to slap the windshield into place with the flat of your hand.

4/21/2020 9:35 AM  #9

Hornman wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

Bob, view the Mustangs to Fear YouTube video, is shows all, even how to slap the windshield into place with the flat of your hand.

I will check that out, Ron.  Just can't visualize how the cord will stay in the window channel...the open side of the channel is to the inside of the "circle".   Gotta see that one but it sure sounds like a simpler way to go.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/21/2020 10:04 AM  #10

Okay...checked out three different install videos and have yet to see anyone install the gasket to the body and then pull the cord to set the glass in the gasket.  Sorry...I know I'm dumb butt (TS&T) I'm willing to try to learn.

BB1

4/21/2020 10:26 AM  #11

Don't think pulling the glass into the gasket with the gasket on the pinchweld is correct.  I think the gasket has to be on the glass and then pull the gasket onto the pichweld is the way to go.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

4/21/2020 10:57 AM  #12

Sounds like a big pain in the A$$.
Years  ago I went to Speedy Auto Glass, 150 bucks for a new PPG windshield, installed. The p/o had weld spatter all over the inside of it.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/21/2020 11:18 AM  #13

The Virginia Classic photos are excellent and just what I needed. Thank you for all the info. 

4/21/2020 12:17 PM  #14

Bullet Bob wrote:

Okay...checked out three different install videos and have yet to see anyone install the gasket to the body and then pull the cord to set the glass in the gasket.  Sorry...I know I'm dumb butt (TS&T) I'm willing to try to learn.

BB1

My mistake, I misread TKO’s post assuming the “install the gasket on the glass first” technique. Roping the gasket/windshield to the body works well and is the only way I have seen it done. 

Here is another missed opportunity due to having to cancel the Bash. We could yank the windshield out of someone’s car and TKO could show us his “gasket on the body first” technique. Another learning opportunity missed. Darn you Wuhan!

4/21/2020 3:22 PM  #15

Strike that, reverse it, gasket on the glass first, then suck the whole thing onto the body using the weedwacker cord.  Like I said, its been 25 years.  Thinking back that's definitely how I did it, and the mess was from the sealer being moved around by the cord.  Apologies for creating confusion. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.