FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2020 9:09 AM  #1

Problem with Steering Wander

Hey Guys,

Had this problem for awhile now and thought Id see if this might be the issue.  Have a 69 Mustang with a Unisteer rack that I installed  8 years ago. I have Street or Track Coil over suspension on the front.  When driving the car  it Wanders.  Going over bumps is kind of scary at times.  The steering wheel will be completely straight and when I hit a bump the front tires go where they want to go.  Doesn't feel like I have control of the car.  On a smooth straight road it seems fine. Here are the specifications I used below.    So  I looked a little closer at the U joints and shaft between the Steering Column and Rack.  There appears to be some play in that area.  Not much but just maybe this is where the problem could be.  I took a couple of videos to of the wheel and linkage.  Thanks for all your help!  Steve69  Street0° to -1/2°+3° to 5°1/16” to 1/8” In

Last edited by Steve69 (5/17/2020 8:23 PM)

5/17/2020 9:20 AM  #2

Re: Problem with Steering Wander

I’d say the play is normal.  Inside the input shaft of a power steering box or a power rack and pinion there is a spring steel shaft that actually deflects a few degrees when you give it steering input.  It is part of the magic that ports the oil to the right places to make it power steering.

If your alignment really is 0-.5 degree negative camber, 3-5 degrees positive caster and a little toe in I don’t see that as a problem- that sounds about perfect.

How are all the other parts?  Ball joints?  Upper control arms?  Everyone tight?

5/17/2020 10:21 AM  #3

Bentworker wrote:

I’d say the play is normal. Inside the input shaft of a power steering box or a power rack and pinion there is a spring steel shaft that actually deflects a few degrees when you give it steering input. It is part of the magic that ports the oil to the right places to make it power steering.

If your alignment really is 0-.5 degree negative camber, 3-5 degrees positive caster and a little toe in I don’t see that as a problem- that sounds about perfect.

How are all the other parts? Ball joints? Upper control arms? Everyone tight?

There all have been replaced with the Street or Track Suspension coil over.  So newer with low miles. 

5/17/2020 11:44 AM  #4

Only suggestion I have is to second check alignment and tightness of every fastener.

5/17/2020 12:24 PM  #5

My guess would be the rack is not positioned correctly. If the rack is not mounted in the right spot in height and also front to back, it will cause too much toe in and out over bumps and during acceleration and braking. Too much toe out causes an unstable feeling in the steering.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

5/17/2020 12:34 PM  #6

My 2 cents.... Bump Steer.  It happens when the tie rods are not parallel to the  lower control arm...I think.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/17/2020 8:19 PM  #7

Bearing Bob wrote:

My guess would be the rack is not positioned correctly. If the rack is not mounted in the right spot in height and also front to back, it will cause too much toe in and out over bumps and during acceleration and braking. Too much toe out causes an unstable feeling in the steering.

There's two bolts that hold the cradle up where the old crossmember goes. Really no way of  having it in the wrong position. 

5/17/2020 8:21 PM  #8

lowercasesteve wrote:

My 2 cents.... Bump Steer.  It happens when the tie rods are not parallel to the  lower control arm...I think.

I was thinking that to on the bumps.  Doesn't explain the wander.  I was debating on buying a bumpsteer kit and see what happens. 

5/17/2020 8:22 PM  #9

I was thinking of maybe mounting a couple of go pro cameras in the suspension and go on a bumpy road and see what's happening. 

5/18/2020 12:34 AM  #10

Steve69 wrote:

Have a 69 Mustang with a Unisteer rack that I installed  8 years ago. When driving the car  it Wanders.  Going over bumps is kind of scary at times.  The steering wheel will be completely straight and when I hit a bump the front tires go where they want to go. 

Is your front end lowered? When I lowered mine it put the angles of the control arms send steering arms out of whack for proper angles with little or no bump steer.

I measured and drew out the control arm and steering arm locations to determine how much of a drop the outer steering arm mount needed to be lowered for proper angles. This drawing is grim when I had a 2 inch Shelby drop. I've since changed it back to the normal 1 inch drop.

Some people don't like the bump steer studs on the steering arms due to the increased leverage in play. I don't experience any unwanted steering manners at low or high speeds, bumps or no bumps. I had it up to 133 mph the other day and it required little effort on the wheel.

Steve69 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

There's two bolts that hold the cradle up where the old crossmember goes. Really no way of  having it in the wrong position. 

The bump steer stud might fix your problem, but I mentioned the rack mount because you have a rack and pinion. I've never used R&P on a Mustang, but I thought id read that there was play in the mounting where it could be adjusted.

5/18/2020 6:28 AM  #11

My thoughts:

Caster angle is too low.  Check and correct.  Most systems are are going to want +3.5 degrees at a minimum. 

Bump steer due to tie rod operating angle.  Can be corrected as noted.  I would not worry about the studs.  Maximum Motorsports and many other companies kits use the same system and they are extensively raced by a lot of people. 

Rack is worn out in the on center spot, where they wear due to the rack being in that position the most.  Does Unisteer sell new racks, or are they remans?  Remans suck because they don't replace the gears and you basically are getting a resealed, worn out rack.  May be good for a while, but with a little age on it you see what it really is. 

5/19/2020 12:06 PM  #12

Thanks for the diagrams Bearing Bob and the info TKO.  Im going to call Unisteer and see what they say. From what I gather there should be very little play with a Rack.  Ill let you know what I find out.  

Thanks Steve69

5/20/2020 6:28 PM  #13

Bearing Bob wrote:

What Bob said. There's actually quite a bit involved in designing steering linkage. There's Ackerman which is the inner wheel turning at a tighter radius then the outer wheel. It's basically a predetermined rate of toe out as the wheels turn. This rate is determined by the geometry of the drag link and angle of the tie rod arms. A rack is a completely different type of system and iti Ackerman is determined completely different then a drag link system. The angle of the tie rods are different to work with the racks geometry. For a rack to really work right on a drag link system it needs to work like a drag link with inner and outer tie rod ends placement as Bob said of the rack is very important as well.

What you can try is more caster and perhaps a bump steer kit. Both of these will lenghten the tie rod assembly so it'll have a more gradual arc and influence steering less on bumps

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/20/2020 6:31 PM  #14

Bearing Bob wrote:

Steve69 wrote:

Have a 69 Mustang with a Unisteer rack that I installed  8 years ago. When driving the car  it Wanders.  Going over bumps is kind of scary at times.  The steering wheel will be completely straight and when I hit a bump the front tires go where they want to go. 

Is your front end lowered? When I lowered mine it put the angles of the control arms send steering arms out of whack for proper angles with little or no bump steer.

I measured and drew out the control arm and steering arm locations to determine how much of a drop the outer steering arm mount needed to be lowered for proper angles. This drawing is grim when I had a 2 inch Shelby drop. I've since changed it back to the normal 1 inch drop.

Some people don't like the bump steer studs on the steering arms due to the increased leverage in play. I don't experience any unwanted steering manners at low or high speeds, bumps or no bumps. I had it up to 133 mph the other day and it required little effort on the wheel.

Steve69 wrote:

Bearing Bob wrote:

The bump steer stud might fix your problem, but I mentioned the rack mount because you have a rack and pinion. I've never used R&P on a Mustang, but I thought id read that there was play in the mounting where it could be adjusted.

Bob Bolles book I see. I have the same one

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/21/2020 12:59 PM  #15

Thanks for the Great Info Guys.  With the extended weekend Im going to take a closer look at things.  I did call Unisteer and they said there's a solid bar that goes through the rack so its should have no play.  There thinking the problem is in the U Joints.   They talked about U joint misphasing.  Im going to take a look at that too.  Heres the link on it.  https://mavalmanufacturing.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003160731-Ujoint-Misphasing

5/21/2020 2:38 PM  #16

I am super curious what you will find.  It is weird to me that  Unisteer stated the input was a solid connection.  I have never seen a power box or rack that does not have some sort of torsion bar in the control valve.

If you have 8 minutes watch the whole thing- if you don’t start around 3:40.  This guy does a pretty short and sweet explanation of a rack and pinion power steering setup.

https://youtu.be/amTnNkAhWgQ

5/21/2020 3:31 PM  #17

There are still gears in a rack and pinion that can be worn.  Regardless of everything else that will still cause play.  It really bugs the %$^& out of me when all you get from the tech department trying to solve a problem is "there's nothing wrong with our product, its impossible.  Its MUST be something you did or another part."

5/21/2020 4:10 PM  #18

Bentworker wrote:

I am super curious what you will find. It is weird to me that Unisteer stated the input was a solid connection. I have never seen a power box or rack that does not have some sort of torsion bar in the control valve.

If you have 8 minutes watch the whole thing- if you don’t start around 3:40. This guy does a pretty short and sweet explanation of a rack and pinion power steering setup.

https://youtu.be/amTnNkAhWgQ

The guy does a pretty good job of explaining what is going on.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/21/2020 4:50 PM  #19

"Now I'm gonna use my 19mm hexagon socket to remove this rack guide nut". As he uses a cutoff wheel!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5/21/2020 5:10 PM  #20

Thanks great video.

I like the grinder too.😂

Last edited by Nos681 (5/21/2020 5:12 PM)

5/21/2020 5:44 PM  #21

Bearing Bob wrote:

"Now I'm gonna use my 19mm hexagon socket to remove this rack guide nut". As he uses a cutoff wheel!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely one of the best parts of the video. 

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/24/2020 2:25 PM  #22

**Im happy as a clam!  Took the day off Friday and jacked up the car to take a look at the rack.  So I pulled on the u joint attached to the Rack and there was no play and solid.   I went up to the upper U joint and there was no play between the U joint and the steering column.  So everything was good.   So I pulled the complete U joint off the Rack, Shaft and U joint on the Column.  Major PIA.  I have a Z bar and AC lines so there isn't much room to work with.  After inspecting the U joints and shaft everything looked good and tight.  No play.  So I lined everything up on the bench like Unisteer had  in the link I posted with phasing the U joints.  Something they added well after I installed the unit in 2012.  I drew a black line with Marker all the way across the U joints and shaft.  I installed everything how I marked it on the bench.  A 3 day process.  I would work a little bit here and there and take a break.  Added locktite and torqued to 40 pounds.  Guess what no play. When I turned the steering wheel lightly the wheels turned too. Before there was at least 1" of play before there was movement in the wheel.  So I pulled my new steering wheel off and had the nut on loosely so I could pull the steering wheel off to get it centered.  Pulled the car over on my drive and pulled the steering wheel off to get it centered.  8 years of wander and shimmy over bumps  and its finally fixed and feels safe.  Drives really nice. No excess play.  Going over bumps I have full control like I should have.  Very happy I took the time to trouble shoot instead of wasting another $150 on front end alignment that wasn't going to fix this problem.   Now on to the next problem! Why my electric fan would only kick on when the AC compressor was cycling...LOL  I think I knocked a wire off the prong while working on the U joints.   Thanks you guys for your help and input!   

Steve69

Last edited by Steve69 (5/24/2020 2:27 PM)

5/24/2020 9:22 PM  #23

Most excellent news Steve. Troubleshooting sure beats throwing dollars at it. You get a fatter wallet and a feeling of pride and accomplishment. Happy for ya that it drives nice.

5/25/2020 6:11 AM  #24

Steve69 wrote:

**Im happy as a clam!  Took the day off Friday and jacked up the car to take a look at the rack.  So I pulled on the u joint attached to the Rack and there was no play and solid.   I went up to the upper U joint and there was no play between the U joint and the steering column.  So everything was good.   So I pulled the complete U joint off the Rack, Shaft and U joint on the Column.  Major PIA.  I have a Z bar and AC lines so there isn't much room to work with.  After inspecting the U joints and shaft everything looked good and tight.  No play.  So I lined everything up on the bench like Unisteer had  in the link I posted with phasing the U joints.  Something they added well after I installed the unit in 2012.  I drew a black line with Marker all the way across the U joints and shaft.  I installed everything how I marked it on the bench.  A 3 day process.  I would work a little bit here and there and take a break.  Added locktite and torqued to 40 pounds.  Guess what no play. When I turned the steering wheel lightly the wheels turned too. Before there was at least 1" of play before there was movement in the wheel.  So I pulled my new steering wheel off and had the nut on loosely so I could pull the steering wheel off to get it centered.  Pulled the car over on my drive and pulled the steering wheel off to get it centered.  8 years of wander and shimmy over bumps  and its finally fixed and feels safe.  Drives really nice. No excess play.  Going over bumps I have full control like I should have.  Very happy I took the time to trouble shoot instead of wasting another $150 on front end alignment that wasn't going to fix this problem.   Now on to the next problem! Why my electric fan would only kick on when the AC compressor was cycling...LOL  I think I knocked a wire off the prong while working on the U joints.   Thanks you guys for your help and input!   

Steve69

You want the fan on when the AC is on.  There needs to be airflow through the condenser at all times.  If there isn't bad things happen. 

5/25/2020 10:01 AM  #25

Thanks Bearing Bob!   I located the wire and connector TKO put it on the 180 degrees and the fan is coming on when its hot now too. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.