FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2020 7:36 AM  #1

Coilover Kit 71-73 mustang

I checking some kits. Has anyone used theese ?

Viking 

Noname

Aldnan

Im also adding Global west upper control arms, Lock out excentric plates, and their bushings for the strut rods. Il also gonna box the lower control arms.

Cheers

Last edited by Mach173 (5/20/2020 7:39 AM)

5/20/2020 8:34 AM  #2

Re: Coilover Kit 71-73 mustang

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of those kits are an improvement over the stock spring setup using a good set of shocks along with roller perches.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

5/20/2020 9:42 AM  #3

RV6 is right.....
Maybe box the lower arms and do the Arning drop too.  Throwing more money at it won't make it handle any better than these few things.
Its a pretty dog-gone good design as is. Just needs a few tweaks.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/20/2020 1:15 PM  #4

Okay, But can you do a drop in the 71-73 mustangs ? I Think the geometry was corrected. Im using Gabriel GAS shcocks mow with 1 inch lowering springs.

Last edited by Mach173 (5/20/2020 1:17 PM)

5/20/2020 2:58 PM  #5

If you want adjustable ride height than coil over is the way to go.  I'd be a little leery of the no name one, personally I have coil overs, but mine are older ones from Maier Racing before Mike and Charles split the business.

On my 71 I have observed a pretty healthy negative camber gain as the suspension is compressed.  Doing the Shelby drop would make it even more extreme.  Just spitballing since I have never actually seen anyone prove out without a doubt that the 71-73 UCA vs LCA mounting point geometry is different than the earlier mustangs.  It would be interesting to get them on a frame rig at a body shop and see what the truth is.  Personally I don't think I would do a Shelby drop on a 71-73.

5/20/2020 3:19 PM  #6

Most budget coilovers are based on the same shocks regardless the application.  I did copious research on these for my WRX.  Time and again the advice I saw and the reviews I read pointed that the cheap kits were exactly that; cheap.  Cheap to buy, cheap materials, cheaply made. 

RV6 is giving you the same advice I reached.  A good selection on parts makes a car handle; not one magic part.

If you want adjustable ride height, yes, coilovers are a good solution.  If you want handling, first, get subframe connectors on the car.  Trying to make the ends of the car stick to the road while it can still twist in the center is pointless.  You'll get a bad riding car that's unpredictable when pushed hard. 

As for the drop, I'm not an expert, but from what I've read the '71-'73 cars already have better geometry and there's no room to accommodate the drop.  Chassis stiffening followed by better springs, shocks, bushings, and sway bar is how to make them handle better. 

5/20/2020 3:27 PM  #7

Since I have a 66 "I -Assumed" the Arning drop would "heal-every-Mustangs-problems!"...Guess I misspoke(sorry)
          Would the 'past tense' for misspoke be  mispuck?     Like to be corect whenever posible!!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/20/2020 4:29 PM  #8

Its still misspoke.  Its one of those weird ones like read and read. 

5/20/2020 5:04 PM  #9

Mach173 wrote:

Okay, But can you do a drop in the 71-73 mustangs ? I Think the geometry was corrected. Im using Gabriel GAS shcocks mow with 1 inch lowering springs.

I don't know about the drop on the 71's. If it's there then you are halfway done. A quality shock like Bilstein or others will make a huge difference over the Gabriel. Yes they are expensive, but they're worth it. Chassis tightening will help bunches. A bigger sway bar could be in you future too.

5/20/2020 5:40 PM  #10

A bigger front bar makes a big difference.  I would advise changing the front bar and seeing how the car handles before adding a rear bar.  I never ran a rear one because I like the car's balance now.  A rear bar tend to make the car understeer more, and these cars already tend to do that.  Compensation is by throttle induced oversteer, and I see no reason to change that by making the rear end less able to be moved around with my right foot. 

5/20/2020 6:15 PM  #11

RV6 wrote:

I may be wrong, but I don't think any of those kits are an improvement over the stock spring setup using a good set of shocks along with roller perches.

I agree 100%. To me these "coil over" kits are a buzz word. A true coil over offers improved motion ratio mounting the spring as close as possible to the spindle on the lower arm. This also allows for a longer shock that can hold more fluid, run cooler and have more finite control. Same goes with the spring. Longer spring, more control and comfort. I too have a regular spring and shock assembly with roller spring perches. My shocks are the custom valved Bilsteins that Street or Track sells. Very happy with my set up. Comfortable ride

I'm not a complete idiot.....pieces are missing. Tom

5/20/2020 6:43 PM  #12

Huskinhano wrote:

RV6 wrote:

I agree 100%. To me these "coil over" kits are a buzz word. A true coil over offers improved motion ratio mounting the spring as close as possible to the spindle on the lower arm. This also allows for a longer shock that can hold more fluid, run cooler and have more finite control. Same goes with the spring. Longer spring, more control and comfort. I too have a regular spring and shock assembly with roller spring perches. My shocks are the custom valved Bilsteins that Street or Track sells. Very happy with my set up. Comfortable ride

All coil overs that I am familiar with have very short springs and I have often wondered about the ride quality.
Mac struts seem to have long springs as well as lengthy shocks and seem to be what modern cars have.
Curious as to if a Mac strut could be fitted on to a stock lower control arm and a tubular upper.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/21/2020 12:45 AM  #13

Okay. The Car has Gloal west subframe connectors and new 1 inch front sway bar. The bigger one is 1 1/8 I belive. No rear swaybar. Borgeson powersteering box..In the rear new stock leafsprings and new energy suspension schakle. Gabriel gas shocks. Ride height is fine how it is now.

Roller perches
Global west upper Control arms(MST-733)
Lock out kit excentric plate
Global west bushing strut rods
Billestein or Viking shocks

can that be a good combo ?

Thanks

Last edited by Mach173 (5/21/2020 12:46 AM)

5/21/2020 7:21 AM  #14

This is on a 65 coupe with a small block.

I had Mustangs Plus 620’s and KYB gas a just for over 25 years with no issues.
Used with stock type spring perches and control arms.
Only down side, too stiff for washboard roads.
Literally had to drive less than 20 on some or I would have skated off the road.

I installed these this past winter.
I have the 350# springs since I have a small block.
This kit has poly bushings top and bottom.
I believe the kit you listed may have the bearings top and bottom.
For a street driven car, it’s perfect for me and my budget.

5/21/2020 9:05 AM  #15

Nos681 wrote:

This is on a 65 coupe with a small block.

I had Mustangs Plus 620’s and KYB gas a just for over 25 years with no issues.
Used with stock type spring perches and control arms.
Only down side, too stiff for washboard roads.
Literally had to drive less than 20 on some or I would have skated off the road.

I installed these this past winter.
I have the 350# springs since I have a small block.
This kit has poly bushings top and bottom.
I believe the kit you listed may have the bearings top and bottom.
For a street driven car, it’s perfect for me and my budget.

Does it drive better then with the original spring only ?

5/21/2020 1:15 PM  #16

It replaces spring and perch.

I started with softer settings (metric system numbers 😜):

5 compression
10 rebound

Hope o get some drive time this summer to experiment with settings and ride height.

At lowest spring setting, about 23-1/2” front fender to ground...too low and tires hit on turn and long tubes will scrape on a gnats butt.

Haven’t boxed stock type control arms yet.
Shifted upper control arm shaft one full turn.
MS lubrication modification.
Energy Suspension lower poly bushing.

Strut rods have poly bushings as well, I use a moly paste/lube.
Haven’t modified/made new strut rods yet either.

Most of the binding I found was from rubber in spring perch and lower control arms.

I’m not familiar with 71-73.
Hope this is helpful.

5/21/2020 1:40 PM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

It replaces spring and perch.

I started with softer settings (metric system numbers 😜):

5 compression
10 rebound

Hope o get some drive time this summer to experiment with settings and ride height.

At lowest spring setting, about 23-1/2” front fender to ground...too low and tires hit on turn and long tubes will scrape on a gnats butt.

Haven’t boxed stock type control arms yet.
Shifted upper control arm shaft one full turn.
MS lubrication modification.
Energy Suspension lower poly bushing.

Strut rods have poly bushings as well, I use a moly paste/lube.
Haven’t modified/made new strut rods yet either.

Most of the binding I found was from rubber in spring perch and lower control arms.

I’m not familiar with 71-73.
Hope this is helpful.

Its helpfull thank you :-)

Question does all coilovers replace the perches ?

5/21/2020 3:22 PM  #18

Rudi wrote:

Huskinhano wrote:

RV6 wrote:

All coil overs that I am familiar with have very short springs and I have often wondered about the ride quality.
Mac struts seem to have long springs as well as lengthy shocks and seem to be what modern cars have.
Curious as to if a Mac strut could be fitted on to a stock lower control arm and a tubular upper.

In theory the dual control arm setup is better for handling.  Mac struts were done mostly for cost savings.  Ultimately anything could be done, but Mac strut suspensions use an LCA with two mount points (no strut rod) and caster/camber is set at the top with an adjustable mount.  So the chassis doesn't really have the pickup points for it.  To my mind, to go this far with suspension mods on a classic Mustang and leave the shock towers would be silly. 

5/21/2020 3:27 PM  #19

While I not be an engineer it seems to me that progressive weight springs, roller or shaft perches and good shocks would give a good ride. You would not have the ease of adjustment though. 

5/21/2020 3:56 PM  #20

See, another thing I discovered in my research was that the adjustability of coilovers (other than ride height) is something people play with a ton at first, but reach settings they like and then never change.  Hardcore racers would be the exception, but on the street it really seems that adjustability adds perceived value, not actual value.  A properly valved shock for the application shouldn't need to be adjusted.  This seems to be another one of those one size fits all coilover things.  You don't need to build different shocks for each application; you send them a generic one and make the end user tune it to their application. 

5/21/2020 5:00 PM  #21

I still like Barry's mod of moving the spring perch out board about an inch....and using softer springs and the performance shock of your choice. 
Stiff springs and shocks belong on a full race machine or an F-250!
6sal6

5/21/2020 5:42 PM  #22

I can't lay claim to that mod Sal. Butt it is a good one. Better motion ratio, ability to run lighter springs, and it's free.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/21/2020 5:46 PM  #23

50vert wrote:

I can't lay claim to that mod Sal. Butt it is a good one. Better motion ratio, ability to run lighter springs, and it's free.

Free is alway nice. I have never read about this 1" spring perch move. Oh wait, 25.4mm spring perch move. 

5/21/2020 10:01 PM  #24

Have a look down near the bottom of this page from Opentracker.
https://opentrackerracing.com/innovations/

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

5/21/2020 11:12 PM  #25

Okay thanks :-) lots of ways to go here. Lots of mods that could be done at home in the garage without buying expensive stuff. Il be back with the result, thanks again for all input.

regards Rob

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.