FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2020 10:17 PM  #26

Re: Update on the new shop

6sally6 wrote:

"long-time-a-go....when-I-wuz-a-welder. I stood on a many 5 gallon bucket to weld pipe/electrical hangers and such.  EZ to move and usually was just the right height.
Since it was a federal job I could have requested safety staging complete with hand rails and toe boards properly installed and 'inspected' before ever stepping on it. By the time it was completed I would prolly be on another job...the insulators would have come AND the painters...then it would be nearly impossible to get to the hangers!!
Just do it and move on.......... Federal guv-mint.....gotta love the efficiency.
6sal6
PS......ANYBODY gonna answer my question about HOW LONG to wait before painting/staining  'sea-mint' floorz?!!

But, sal...  back when you were a welder, that was BEFORE plastic buckets were invented, right?   They were all steel buckets?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/20/2020 5:13 AM  #27

Concrete curing is a lengthy process.  The strength of concrete continues to increase for years after its poured.  The standard for strength measurement is 28 days, but that is just a date at which it needs to meet or exceed its design strength.  You can walk on it the next day.  If I need to drill it for anchors I really like to let it set over a weekend.  Its definitely still "green" for a week.  Its usually recommend that you avoid parking on it for two weeks.  All told, I'd wait at least a month to put anything on it sealer or coating wise, unless the product I was using said otherwise. 

If it were me I'd wait as long as possible.  You also don't want to get anything on it that will soak into the pores like oil.  Its about impossible to completely remove.  Most of the epoxies today are laytex based due to the EPA's crusade to remove VOCs from everything.  An oil based paint probably wouldn't be effected by the oil, but good luck finding any.  If the finish is nice I would just use a sealer.  You could put some tint in it as mentioned. 

6/20/2020 1:12 PM  #28

MS wrote:

Still undecided on what to do with garage floor.  

Looks great!  My neighbor (retired contractor) used a Sherwin Williams floor coating for his garage just after he built in the late 1990's.  It still looks great - no peeling or chipping at all. 

Last edited by John Ha (6/20/2020 1:12 PM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

6/21/2020 6:44 AM  #29

MS wrote:

Sheetrocking today

This guy is a Liability to your homeowners insurance,  He falls, guess who he sues?????
On another note, pex piping will swell a mile before it bursts, the fittings they just blow out!  I would say the threat of them freezing in that part of Texas is very low

6/21/2020 7:43 AM  #30

My dad would be impressed with the electrical box MS.  The garage/shop is looking very nice.  When I get the green light from the neurologist to drive again I'll have to make a trip down to Canyon Lake and see it all in person.  Or even better, are you going to have a BBQ and invite us all?

Owner of MustangSteve - 1967 Mustang Coupe 302, 2005 Mustang GT

6/21/2020 8:18 AM  #31

Slab was poured in November.  It is plenty cured enough for a sealer.  Right now, the entire garage floor is covered with cardboard, all joints securely taped.   Generally, two months is plenty of time for any moisture close to the surface to be gone.  The gameroom is getting hickory, engineered hardwood planks.  I am considering a light stain with sealer on it the garage floor.  A neighbor has that for the floors in his house.

A test on the Pex, to convince me, used a six inch piece of 3/4” with 100% fill of water, plugged both ends. Placed in freezer for a week.  It did not burst, so any fears of freeze damage are unwarranted, especially in an insulated building in south Texas.  I used both the stainless and copper compression rings on this installation.  That stuff goes together so easy, it is just scary to think it will still not be leaking in 20 years. I see why plumbers like it compared to PVC or copper.

6/21/2020 12:06 PM  #32

Nice wiring runs nice and level ,Did you think about using nail guards over the studs ?Just a little extra saftey. Very nice work.

If its worth doing do it right !

6/22/2020 6:14 AM  #33

Ultimately time's going to tell on the PEX.  Its certainly got its advantages, but so did polybutylene.  If the plastic is hearty enough, like the black stuff they use for wells I'm sure it will be fine if the fittings don't fail (I don't think metal fittings will).  PEX can still break from freezing, I've seen it happen.  Its more resistant than any other type of pipe, but in the right conditions anything's possible.  I don't regard this as a real concern given where you are. 

Copper is seeing a resurgence thanks to low price, perceived quality, and the wonder that is the Pro Press.  Most big plumbing outfits don't want their techs soldering anything anymore, so the Pro Press solves that problem.  With battery operated pipe cutters running copper is now pretty fast and efficient.  Its biggest problem IMO is that the price can fluctuate, and you need to use the good copper (K), not the cheap stuff. 

6/22/2020 3:58 PM  #34

Never heard of K. It was M or L ,but we quit with the radiant heat and just plain pluming a few years  back when we finish restoring this 1852 farm haus' that was about to be taken down.    Should have started new...    23 yrs later, it's done, and we did 100% of the work ourselves as we could afforded it. Were tired and just worn out after all of this, and maybe a little crabby.

6/22/2020 5:01 PM  #35

Rich, I'm amazed at what you and Bonnie accomplished with your house. I can see the sheer amount of work that went into it. I think I'm quite handy around the house ... but nothing on that scale.
At least you've got a reason for being a grumpy old man.  
I'm still tryin' to find mine.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

6/22/2020 5:16 PM  #36

red351 wrote:

Never heard of K. It was M or L ,but we quit with the radiant heat and just plain pluming a few years  back when we finish restoring this 1852 farm haus' that was about to be taken down.    Should have started new...    23 yrs later, it's done, and we did 100% of the work ourselves as we could afforded it. Were tired and just worn out after all of this, and maybe a little crabby.

They may not sell K at the regular home stores.  M was soft copper.  Usually could be bent without kinking into a large radius.  Its since been banned for use on potable water systems.  L is the next step up, but it has more impurities in it and is softer.  I find L is more prone to corrosion than K. 

6/28/2020 6:37 AM  #37

TKOPerformance wrote:

red351 wrote:

They may not sell K at the regular home stores.  M was soft copper.  Usually could be bent without kinking into a large radius.  Its since been banned for use on potable water systems.  L is the next step up, but it has more impurities in it and is softer.  I find L is more prone to corrosion than K. 

I guess I know where to come when I need plumbing advice. 

6/28/2020 8:25 AM  #38

I think your job is secure, Terry.

6/28/2020 9:32 AM  #39

Steve, don't forget to add your signature to the concrete before it's sealed.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.