FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/05/2020 9:47 AM  #1

65 289 with Tremac 5 spd clutch issues

Hi guys, hope you guys are all hope enjoying the july 4th weekend

i just lost the clutch on my 65 T5, pedal has some pressure 3/4 way down but wont return unless its lifted with my foot, its a mechanical set up and not Hydraulic, looks like its stock with no cable either,
i managed to drive it back bump starting in 2nd with cranking it and took back roads here in Niagara with not much trouble,
no burning smell clutch fork seems to be somewhat working,(but looking in to it its new with a made in china sticker) im just asking before i get into it tomorrow,
any tips,links to this pedal set up,or advice from what i can see looking into bellhousing, pressure plate has no fingers visibly broken and appear to be moving during clutch being depressed, but obvious its not enough to shift gear,just to be clear the pedal has some resistance prob just spring, but doesnt seem to try to engage till 3/4 down so not enough to fully depress pressure plate? clutch and brake pedals seem to line up even and no side movement
any links to this pedal set up or advice welcomed, I just cant see anything out of place, but then im not familiar with the manual set up if something is actually worn,bent or broken,   
jimmy O
Niagara Falls Ontario 

Last edited by Fastbackbhoy (7/05/2020 11:49 AM)

7/05/2020 9:58 AM  #2

Re: 65 289 with Tremac 5 spd clutch issues

Anything is possible, but I'm betting something broke in the pressure plate. 

7/05/2020 10:48 AM  #3

Before you tear the bellhousing apart, this sounds more like a linkage issue to me, or even a pedal support bearing failure.  The original linkage has many weak points and all are visible without disassembly, except the pedal support bushings. 

Make sure the z-bar is not bent.  The lever arm should be all in one plane, not twisted. Pedal support bushings are harder to check.  Do the pedals align square to the car, not leaning to one side?  If shot, the pedal bushings can cause the pedal to hang up as you describe.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/05/2020 12:18 PM  #4

I'm with Steve on this one. jCheck all the easy stuff to make sure its all good. The stock clutch linkage is while simple is a geometric nightmare.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

7/05/2020 4:32 PM  #5

Just adding to the stock linkage issue, if you have a heavy duty clutch/pressure plate, the stock linkage can bend.  Also, check the linkage arms where they connect (via welds) to the "Z" bar, they've been known to crack and you will not get full travel from the clutch pedal.  The Z-bar bushings on the engine or the frame may have failed also, I believe the originals were plastic and may have broken and fell out.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

7/05/2020 4:47 PM  #6

got the car into my shop Z Bar & bushings are good possibly new, nothing is bent, i suspected clutch fork as there is some movement that looks to have abnormal play in my opinion, removed the spring and rod to fork and it was flopping about, it came out of transmission without any resistance at all, I'm not sure if this is a
T-5 CLUTCH FORK OR THE ORIGINAL TYPE  to me it looks earlier type, the fork came out in my hand and wasn't connected, release bearing, pressure plate all look ok and new(i know that means nothing till actual pressure is applied if pressure plate is ok, i don't see how this was connected or if it was snapped in position with the earlier style ant rattle clips?? either way i know its not supposed to be just floating in there, i wish i knew how to upload pictures but it seems impossible? looking into the access hole for fork there is what seems to be a small bracket held on with 2 screws part #C8AZ-BA  There is also a not quite square plate(no free play) that seems to be on the input shaft between clutch pressure plate and release bearing that i can spin freely (was this plate spot welded onto fork or pressed although i see no marks or evidence either way I've found the issue,  or cause of no clutch not the fix yet till i look into it more, bonus would be if its a clip that's became dislodged or broken and i can install in situ, but i feel I'm out of luck or am i not?
jimmy O

7/05/2020 6:36 PM  #7

UPDATE, release bearing had the plate i was talking about in previous post both clips broken off the rivets, ive ordered a new SKL Bearing and will pull transmission on weekend, i now know from previous owner & member on here what parts were used in the T-5 conversion(re bellhousing clutch assembly) its a T-5 WC From an 86 mated to the original 4 speed bellhousing,  and my suspicions were founded, rear main oil seal is leaking so i will replace that at same time possibly update clutch and flywheel, so all is good,
thank you for the advice and replies,
i wish posting pics was easier on here
jimmy O   

7/06/2020 6:43 PM  #8

Be sure and check the wire retainer clip that holds the fork to the fulcrum in the bellhousing.  I didn't know... 'what was the right way'... for the arm to be attached to the fulcrum. It took me several tries and (some outside help) to realize that clip attaches everything to the fulcrum so the fork can pivot correctly.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.