FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2020 10:22 AM  #1

Inspection Requirements, Texas

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 Swap, T5z, EFI/MAF, GT40 Swap

I'm wanting to finally register by mustang to get it back on the road legally. 

I have the hood off right now for ease of the restoration project.  I have a couple of tweeks left to do.  Can you pass inspection w/o a car hood?  What about the instrument cluster?  Does the spedeometer, fuel gauge etc. need to be connected?

thank you

7/09/2020 10:58 AM  #2

Re: Inspection Requirements, Texas

Safety items only.  Odometer reading, not sure.

7/09/2020 11:58 AM  #3

You may want to investigate the Antique and Classic car registration options available to us Texan's. You can even use 1966 Texas plates (find them on Ebay/etc) for those registrations. Generally cars over 25 years old are mileage exempt so no instrument cluster probably isn't an issue.

1966 Coupe, 1965 Fastback, 1968 Cougar

7/09/2020 12:18 PM  #4

simple simple ..7 dollar inspection (working head lights, blinkers, and lap belts, windshield) not even horn has to be working.  then yes if you want find a 65-66 plate for texas cars, or let them assign you a number. I registered mine as a classic

If it aint broke, I have'nt tried to "Fix" it yet!

7/09/2020 12:32 PM  #5

Gaba wrote:

simple simple ..7 dollar inspection (working head lights, blinkers, and lap belts, windshield) not even horn has to be working.  then yes if you want find a 65-66 plate for texas cars, or let them assign you a number. I registered mine as a classic

Gotta love it, no hood is ok.  Crack in windshield is a failure. Or your fresh out of blinker fluid for your tail lights.

As you drive out of inspection station with your new sticker....and your headlight burns out.😂😂😂

God bless Texas!

7/10/2020 4:51 AM  #6

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

7/11/2020 8:22 AM  #7

Vehicles more than 24 years old are exempt from pollution test.

They check the horn, lights, brake lights, turn signals. They make sure the brakes and park brake work and the wipers move. No cracks allowed in windshield directly in front of driver’s sight line.

Then they take your money and give a certificate.

If you have Antique plates, no inspection is required.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/12/2020 7:33 AM  #8

Good morning get antique plates you won’t need a inspection!! it’s a 5yr plate for about 65:00 and no inspections saves you about 400. Registrations are about 85 a year plus 12.50 for the inspections. I registered original 65 Texas plates they have a guy in Conroe Tx that sells original Texas plates he may still have your year model you can register them at the DMV  but they are about 150.00 for the plates and sells a 1965 inspection sticker for about 20.00 the sticker is just for show. Antique plates don't need a inspection sticker for 65 dollars they give you a license plate.

Last edited by Coupedaddy (7/12/2020 8:02 AM)

7/13/2020 7:56 AM  #9

I've paid for the higher mileage limit on insurance and don't really want any restrictions on usage.  I know the chance of getting pulled over is slim and if I were to be in an accident i could always just fib on how often I drive but I'd rather not risk it.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.