FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2020 2:46 PM  #1

Will be instaling a new sink in the Mustang shop

If I ever get where I can lift such a monstrosity, I have purchased a 1-1/4" thick granite countertop for the sink in the shop.  I got it cheap on the local craigslist.  I figure it will never rot out.

Has anyone got experience cutting granite?   I know this is FYI, not DIY forum, but there is ALWAYS somebody on this forum that has done a little of everything.  I have a circular saw, a jig saw, a roto-zip and a sawzall.  Heck, there might even be an old hand operated saw out there somewhere.  What is it going to take to cut this thing?  It is 27" x 48" and I need to cut it down to 36" long, plus make a sink cutout in it.

Anyone?   Beuhler?   Anyone???

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/05/2020 3:12 PM  #2

Re: Will be instaling a new sink in the Mustang shop

First:  Get a goooooood resperator.  Don't want no rocks in them thar lungs.  Honestly, Steve, I would consider taking it to the local granite shop and have them do the cuts.  Just sayin'.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/05/2020 9:30 PM  #3

Buy a diamond blade for your angle grinder. No bent shafts allowed on the grinder....makes for lousy cuts. Make you marks then use multiple cuts going deeper each time. If you want a polished / finished edge, it will buy some polishing stones.

Don’t breathe the dust. I hear the dust kills the grass too. Happy cutting.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/05/2020 9:41 PM  #4

I have a couple of money sinks, do those count?

/badda bing!

9/05/2020 9:56 PM  #5

Use a wet spong next to the blade of your grinder, keep it damp/wet and you will not have dust. take your time and you can cut with the diamond blade. The water keeps it clean and the dust down. 

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/06/2020 7:24 AM  #6

Bullet Bob wrote:

First:  Get a goooooood resperator.  Don't want no rocks in them thar lungs.  Honestly, Steve, I would consider taking it to the local granite shop and have them do the cuts.  Just sayin'.

Agree that it might be best to let a local granite shop do the cutting, at least check out what they would charge..  Cutting the length, using the methods other have suggested, is doable with a diamond blade in a circular saw, but will leave a rough edge .  This may not be a big as it is for the garage.  Cutting out the sink presents a bigger challenge.
And, get someone else (or two) to move that thing! 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/06/2020 1:08 PM  #7

Definitely take it to a granite shop (there must be 10,000 of them in MB I know TEXAS has more. ) The sink cutout is TOOOO tricky with out the right tools.
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/06/2020 1:19 PM  #8

Yeah, probably just take it to get cut, since nobody offered a easy way to do it.   Rough edge is no problem as the sink will cover the cuts and the one long cut will be by the wall.  I plan to tile everything around the sink.

9/06/2020 1:55 PM  #9

GET A MONUMENT PLACE TO ENGRAVE YOUR FASTBACK ON IT ...OR AT LEAST THE FORD LOGO.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

9/07/2020 5:39 AM  #10

Cutting granite is fairly easy.  I'm modified countertops a lot over the years.  A diamond blade in a circular saw will produce a straight cut if you do it right.  The key is to let the blade cut, not try to force it through the material.  I like to layout the cut with blue tape and use that as a guide.  You can also clamp a temporary fence to the slab using padded quick clamps, and run the saw down the fence.  You'll also want to support the top and make sure the drop (piece you're cutting off) can't fall free, because it can tear a piece out of the top when you get close to finishing the cut.  I will have an assistant hold that piece loosely to prevent it falling. 

The trick is that the edges then need to be concealed because the cut won't produce a smooth edge.  You can buy the discs for a 3" air angle grinder to dress the edges, but costs start to mount.  If I need a dressed edge I'll take it to a local shop who makes tops for me and they will usually just dress an edge or two while I  wait. 

9/07/2020 6:59 AM  #11

First off, is this real Granite; Gravestone quality? I ask because it will absorb any oil if it isn't sealed. And it will need resealed 

9/10/2020 5:58 AM  #12

ChrisH IA wrote:

First off, is this real Granite; Gravestone quality? I ask because it will absorb any oil if it isn't sealed. And it will need resealed 

Will it cause problems with the rock?  Or just be stained?  Just wondering.

9/10/2020 10:16 AM  #13

That rock has been around for millions of years. I doubt anything it encounters under my sink is going to hurt it.   It will be nice when I am no longer the oldest thing in my garage!

9/10/2020 10:46 AM  #14

Every couple of years I use “DuPont - Bullet Proof “granite sealer on our kitchen and bathroom counter top and back splash.
Also the granite came from the supplier pre sealed, or so I was told.
So far after about 5 years all the surfaces are stain free but, I have yet to verify that it is actually bullet proof.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/11/2020 5:46 AM  #15

Anything with oil in it will seep in and create a dark area in the granite.  Good sealers will prevent this, but must be redone every so often.  All holes and edges also need to be sealed.  Stains can be removed by using poltice or a mixture containing a strong hydrogen peroxide (like 30%, not the stuff you get at the pharmacy).  This leaves the finish rough and it will need to be dressed and sealed again, so its best to try to avoid stains on tops you care about. 

9/11/2020 8:26 AM  #16

So, to sum it up.

It won’t hurt the rock.

It just won’t be as pretty the day purchased.

I didn’t know hydrogen peroxide would etch stone.

I know the use of citric acid and muriatic acid for etching concrete

Neat stuff to me.

Last edited by Nos681 (9/11/2020 8:30 AM)

9/11/2020 10:48 AM  #17

Nos681 wrote:

So, to sum it up.

It won’t hurt the rock.

Neat stuff to me.

Can always just paint it...............dun!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/11/2020 3:21 PM  #18

One thing you can count on here is that someone will have the answer, just ask!!  and sometimes you dont even have to ask!!

9/11/2020 4:30 PM  #19

Nos681 wrote:

So, to sum it up.

It won’t hurt the rock.

Neat stuff to me.

I'm trying to remember the exact formulation I used, but that 30% H2O2 is no joke.  We typically think of the stuff just for disinfecting cuts (that stuff is like 5%), but its used as rocket fuel and cetane booster for Diesel fuel too.  Its a really versatile chemical. 

9/13/2020 7:46 PM  #20

It is in a garage.
It is black.

9/13/2020 9:59 PM  #21

MS wrote:

It is in a garage.
It is black.

BAM!

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/14/2020 7:53 PM  #22

Bearing Bob wrote:

MS wrote:

It is in a garage.
It is black.

BAM!

Exactly

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.