FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/19/2020 7:51 AM  #1

1970 Mach 1 351 c Spacere for carb and more

I have a 1970 MAch 1 351 C with a shaker hood.  I have replaced the heads, 4 barrel intake manifold and carb and electronic ignition.  Its a Edelbrock manifold with a 650 Holley 4 barrel card and a MSD pro billet distributer.
The problem I am having now is once it was all assembled I do not have the clearance to place on the air cleaner.  Air cleaner hits the distributer
I'm thinking that a 1" spacer under the card would give me the clearance that I need to clear distributer and havew the shaker seal properly in the hood.
Question #1.  Is there normally a spacer under the carbs on these engines?  There was not one when we dissassembled
Question #2 Is there a spec that tells me exactly how high (space between the top of carb wheer air cleaner sits and the shaker hood - I know it needs to make a good seal)
Question #3  Are there other air cleaner housings out there that i could use if I did not want use the original air cleaner housing with snorkel?

9/19/2020 2:24 PM  #2

Re: 1970 Mach 1 351 c Spacere for carb and more

Normally an open spacer gives a little more top end power and a 4 hole gives the low end a little more ummphh!
I'm not a real expert on it........just what I've "heard".
Most engines do have some type of spacer to help with possible vapor lock/hot fuel issues. I think you can get a spacer from Summit 1/2" on up to a couple inches.
IF you don't want a spacer....(I think its a good idea to use one) you  could always trim/modify/alter your stock air cleaner to 'make-it-fit' around the distrib.  Those are pretty valuable air cleaners if its a stock shaker hood set-up soooooo beating on it may not be the best option!
What about a smaller distrib cap?!........OR use wires that lay flat on top of the distrib(90 degree angle)?
Regardless.........I KNOW somebody on here will have a fix!  This is.....hands-down.....the best Mustang/Ford site on the net!
Welcome to the site!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/20/2020 7:42 AM  #3

Re: 1970 Mach 1 351 c Spacere for carb and more

I don't know about your specific application.  Spacers were used by OEMs for several reasons.  First, it allowed them to use the same intake manifold on a variety of engines, and then tailor the air cleaner mounting height with a spacer of a certain thickness, or no spacer at all so they could get the air cleaner exactly where it needed to be on specific applications (shaker, low clearance hoods, etc.). 

Second, it often just gave them a spot to hook up the PCV or other vacuum accessory of there wasn't a port in the right spot elsewhere on the manifold.

Third, it allowed them to put an aluminum spacer between what was typically a cast iron manifold and the carb.  Aluminum rejects heat a lot better than cast iron, so it reduces the tendency for fuel to boil in the bowls when the car sits on a hot day, which can help prevent vapor lock. 

The issue you are having is likely because the Edelbrock manifold is a universal part designed to fit the engine, not necessarily your specific car.  To improve flow aftermarket manufacturers often raise the carb pad height, which can mean you run into issues trying to use the factory parts from the carb pad on up (spacer, air cleaner, etc.).  As far as specifics, you might try these guys:

http://www.fordramair.com/new/info/faqs.htm

Performance wise, 6sally6 is right.  An open spacers effectively adds plenum volume to the manifold and makes it act more like a single plane intake.  It sacrifices a bit of low end for better top end.  A four hole does the opposite. When there isn't space for a spacer some guys will mill down the divider in the plenum of the intake to get the same effect.  

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.