FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/23/2020 6:31 PM  #1

“Other” forums

I have had occasion lately to look at some early Mustang groups on facebook and I get via email those “trending on vmf” lists.

The facebook groups definitely get alot more action, typically 100 responses To each question.  Unfortunately, most are very amateur and incorrect answers, although there are some knowledgeable responses.  The vmf trending stuff is all over the map.  Is it just me, or are those typical of the action there?

Ot seems like this little forum is not getting alot of use for the typical Mustang questions lately. 

Wondering what it needs to have more people visit here to get good, knowledgeable info.  Are forums dying?   Seems like the facebook crowd is mostly younger, first time owners with a few knowledgeable ones mixed in. 

Opinions?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/23/2020 7:00 PM  #2

Re: “Other” forums

I think that this is the current nature of the beast. I know that my club, Mustangs Northwest, is undergoing a long but subtle change to less people becoming members, and the members that we do get are younger ones, with newer cars and their interests lie in mainly doing shows, cruises and get togethers, and not in restoring, maintaining and modifying the early classic Mustangs. I do strongly feel that this website is the premiere one for those of us who still own the classic Mustangs and have a need for good information on maintaining and modifying our cars. MS - don't get any ideas about shutting down this forum!!! As far as getting more people involved who are interested in solid knowledgeable information on the classic Mustang - I can't give you any ideas to make that happen. I agree with you about Facebook pages - I follow one on the Jeep Grand Cherokee - and for every question there are about two or three good answers and about twenty or thirty wrong, clueless or smart a** ones. Perhaps occasionally posting a link to this forum on those Mustang FB pages would help to draw more interest?

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

9/23/2020 7:40 PM  #3

I have no idea what VMF trending is!! If it goes back to the vintage Mustang forum, I haven't been there in several years. There were a some that I could have faith in the answer, but not all. Can't stand the new format either.

I agree that the Facebook groups get a lot of exposure with few good answers. The moderators need to stay on top of the posts for most of the groups I joined. Mustang Restorations is the only Mustang specific one I joined. I have joined a bunch of others dealing with ford cars and trucks. I don't know if you can go back and search those groups for relevant information, haven't tried it. That leads to a lot the typical questions being repeated. I like it here. Great format and people willing to share information. When was the last time you had to rattle the cage to get folks calmed down cause a discussion turned into a pissing match? 

I don't think its the forums that are dying......think about the average age of our group and when these cars were built. None of us are getting any younger. If people are doing google searches, then something we have posted should show up as relevant in there search. It might take a marketing person, but I've been told there are ways to get bumped up toward the top of search engines. Food for thought. 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/23/2020 8:21 PM  #4

I like the FYI forum.  But If I owned a online business I would have a facebook Group.  More traffic.  Might Drum up more sales.  I really like Facebook.  You dont need a password to join a group.  Its easy to post pics and videos.  If there's a A hole in the Group its easy to block them.  See more pics of cars and projects. Yes there's a lot of so called experts but you can just laugh at there posts.  Im probably in 40 groups from Fairlanes, Mustangs and Torinos.  And some groups with my daily driver cars.  Veterans groups on Facebook. Haven't been on VMF site in years. I do come to FYI  every other day to see posts and check out the updates.  Maybe I can help someone or I might find something that will help me on a project.   Steve69

9/24/2020 5:44 AM  #5

This is the best forum I've ever been a part of, frankly I don't see any need to change.  More traffic/members is just going to mean letting the chaff in whit the the wheat.  I don't have anything against younger members, and people of all experience levels should be welcome, so long as they don't just parrot incorrect information or talk about stuff they know nothing about.  What makes this forum so great is that no one does that here.

Also, a lot of the forums degenerate into pretty rivalries between members, name calling, etc.  The other great thing about this forum is that never happens. 

There is a field known as SEO (Search Engine Optimization).  You can have a consultant look at ways to move your site higher up on the list when people do searches.  Typically though it costs money.  One of the most powerful tools is Google Adwords, but you pay for where you are ranked if you want to be near or at the top. 

I keep hearing about people "tagging" businesses on Facebook, passing referrals that way, etc.  I can tell you that some of that is valid, but how much junk are you dealing with for one good referral?  I've built, and grown my business with old fashioned word of mouth marketing.  The people I talk to are serious about having work done, and I typically close 80-90% of those referrals.  Its why my business survived the recession and others did not.  At some point I think your reputation becomes your most valuable asset in terms of generating new business.  I've never been interested in being the biggest business out there for what I do.  I take pride in being the best at what I do.  I see our forum along the same lines. 

9/24/2020 6:19 AM  #6

It appears to me that web site forums are fading in popularity and Facebook (and other social media) are increasing in popularity.  I think this is mainly due to the fact that those applications are easily accessed from a phone or other device - pretty much anywhere and anytime.

Personally, I like this forum, VMF and FordSix for my Mustang needs.  

As far as Facebook, I had to join to do my volunteer work but after leaving that I had them delete my page.  To me it was great for the volunteer work but in any other respect it was just a way to waste a bunch of time.

Last edited by John Ha (9/24/2020 6:59 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/24/2020 9:19 AM  #7

I love this forum because it's not like the other places. While I wish there were more questions and answers for me to learn from, the lack of wrong answers, bickering and political fighting is well worth the lower amount of traffic.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/24/2020 12:11 PM  #8

I’ve noticed the same thing.  I have two mustang forums I bounce between, here and 71-73mustangs.

Facebook mustang groups seem very active, but are horrible  archival tools.  That is what I don’t get about the popularity of them.  Someone asks a question, then the responses flow in.  Next day someone else asks the same question, and responses flow in.  Not all the responses are good, nor is there any way to search.  It’s just eat and purge on Facebook.

It has gotten to the point where when I see a tech question on one of the FB groups I think I will steer them to an answer on a forum.

My take on it is that Facebook is an easier platform to ask a question and browse, and a forum is in easier platform to correctly answer a question.  Also I think there is a larger portion of the population than you would believe that spends 3+ hours a day on Facebook.

9/24/2020 2:00 PM  #9

Forums in general are good. This one is one of the GOAT's* of forums. Groups in FaceBook suck as forums due to the unsearchability (A New Word) as mentioned by Bentworker. With that said, I do follow quite a few groups in FB and have been enlightened on many things; Why did I not think of that?
I also do not watch TV. Yes I do stream movies but that is not watching TV or the news. I get all my news from FB! Not!
I do read the latest news online, read the headline, make up my own story. My story is as good or better than the news media wrote anyway. There is way too much BS out there anymore.

*GOAT Greatest Of All Time

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

9/24/2020 2:43 PM  #10

Besides all the great points that have been made about this forum, I have three boys, and 18 year old and twin 13 year olds. These three young men have been patrolling this forum for years now, and when we are at the dinner table and one of them mention what they read on the Mustang site today, I don't ever have to worry about what crap they may have stumbled on. I know that teenage kids have access to the world these days and so much of it is plain scary and immoral. I know that this is a great group of guys that just happen to like Mustangs. Please don't change a thing, you created a great thing, take pride in that.

Rick

9/24/2020 4:04 PM  #11

This site probably gets similar traffic to the Aussie mustang site ..... and there's no Barnetts here ... I know where I'm gunna stay. 

Last edited by 50vert (9/24/2020 5:07 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

9/24/2020 4:26 PM  #12

MS, 
I find that alot of the threads on VMF deteriorate to pi$$ing contest
This is just MHO, I don't care for the posturing simply because I am  looking for information on forums.
We have a very civil forum this is what drew me here and I will participate as long as it remains civil.
My 2 cents
Cman 

9/24/2020 4:38 PM  #13

Ive made some stupid statements on here I know and have never been made to feel stupid for it. Wellllll mostly. It aint that way on the other forum. There is a different level of maturity here mixed with fun that I never saw on the other ones. I am a member of the 69/70 mustang group and the 69/70 convertible group on FB. There is not much knowledge there. I can usually answer more questions there than I can here. But that's not something I do very often. Seems like the people there are more interested in "butchering" their cars than preserving them. Im not really into that. 

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/24/2020 4:46 PM  #14

As far as I am concerned this is the only form and hope it never dies and I also hope to meet everyone. I have found that even some NON ford question can get answered on this GREAT form. I look forward to loging on every day.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

9/24/2020 6:39 PM  #15

I found that some folks just can't be helped, because they already had there minds made up before hand, but they still ask the question, and other will only be happy if they can spend the most money. That where I don't fit in with some groups,  but I do tune in here each morning  with my morning coffee because it's is a bit different here.

Last edited by red351 (9/30/2020 5:36 PM)

9/24/2020 7:28 PM  #16

RV6 wrote:

*GOAT Greatest Of All Time

I never realized that was a compliment!!!!

Here’s to all you old GOAT’s. Let’s keep the forum active and the old cars moving!!!

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

9/24/2020 7:35 PM  #17

I wish I was enthusiastic as I once was.  It's a mind and heart battle for me.  That said, each forum has its advantages.  Here it's organization and archivability.  The face***k forums have an advantage of ease of accessibility and picture posting.   The threads do tend to break down there into pissing matches, but that could happen anywhere someone doesn't stay on top of the forum.  Last night you posted the burn out with the old 351w.   I saw that within a few minutes of you posting it.  If there was a way to combine the two...

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

9/24/2020 10:41 PM  #18

Trying out one of the social media...just a lot of stuff posted that is just distracting and isn’t my speed.
Hey, I had to see Coupedaddy’s video.
I did get to see the burnout video too.

Don’t really have time for it.
And I sure don’t find it easy to navigate whatsoever.
My notifications are like my work email inbox...way too many for me to read.
I’ve even asked if I could block the “All Employees” emails...no dice.

I guess I haven’t always done what the “masses do”.
Like going full speed all of time 24/7...Pacific time.

There are some good eggs in other forums that I visit.
Either I’m doing research for a project or helping someone else out if I can.
I know on some of the other forums, things can get heated.
I also consider what part of the country or foreign country they’re from as well as their OCD’s.

Steve this is a great forum and with great people.
Obviously of like mind as well.
The responses and respect are definitely well above any social media.

It was brought to my attention that some of the social media based groups are used like a dating platform.
Definitely don’t need or want that.

Who am I to say?
I’m just one of the “new kids on the block.”

9/25/2020 4:52 AM  #19

I own a 64 falcon, I along with your help from this forum have helped others with both falcons and mustangs. I feel a bit bad because I feel as If I am cheating by getting on here, BUT since they are so closely related the information is pertinent. I have bought from you the t5 conversion kit for my car (still waiting to install). one falcon site that I did use is now gone. the way I see it if I want reliable information go to the source that has served you well, the ones that have been around the longest. anytime there is something new out there people, mostly younger, are going to flock to it. doesn't mean the information is going to be correct. this site helps more than just mustang owners, and the people on here are eager to help, GOOD JOB.

9/25/2020 11:01 AM  #20

val fulesday wrote:

I own a 64 falcon, I along with your help from this forum have helped others with both falcons and mustangs. I feel a bit bad because I feel as If I am cheating by getting on here, BUT since they are so closely related the information is pertinent. I have bought from you the t5 conversion kit for my car (still waiting to install). one falcon site that I did use is now gone. the way I see it if I want reliable information go to the source that has served you well, the ones that have been around the longest. anytime there is something new out there people, mostly younger, are going to flock to it. doesn't mean the information is going to be correct. this site helps more than just mustang owners, and the people on here are eager to help, GOOD JOB.

FYIFORD
For Your Information FORD

FORD includes Falcon And others, not just Mustang.
Glad you are here!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/25/2020 2:47 PM  #21

Like "val fulesday" I don't currently have a Mustang.  Sold my 66 Coupe last year to fund another project a 1953 Studebaker Starliner Coupe.  ​   It It is almost complete and I am starting on a 1962 Falcon and look at  FYIFORD daily for good ideas and see what everyone is working on.  I will start posting progress of the Falcon on the forum.  Dennis

Last edited by Dkralc (9/25/2020 5:18 PM)

www.quadmat.com  Butyl Sound Deadener & Insulation

9/25/2020 3:26 PM  #22

Love that Studey, way ahead of the herd.  Look at that then its contemporarys.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/25/2020 4:08 PM  #23

This the FIRST site I go to when the old computer "clickz-on". Lotsa priceless info about almost any car butt especially Mustangs/SBF's.

Everybody seems to get along and we have fun with each other. That's more important to me than "who's got the biggest.....shinyest....most expen$ive....or what eeeeeverrr!...Mustang or Ford."

I do look at the H.A.M.B. site (although I can't post a picture of my Mustang...cause its too new)! They have a larger group of guys and alot are a bunch of old  curmudgeon guys on there (maybe a little like me?! Pretty amusing posts sometimes but A LOT of pictures and projects under construction.

As far as SBF stuff there are a ....few.. Ford guys that know what they are talking about but NOTHING like the specialized info we have on here.

Like Ron68.......don't get any ideas about pulling-the-plug on  FYI Ford, Steve!!

This is my first (and best) stop going into "computerland"(not to be confused with ..........'..there's a signpost up ahead.......ding-ding-ding-ding.....straight ahead.......The Twilight Zone.......da-da-da-daaaaa!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/25/2020 6:50 PM  #24

That's a bad arse Stude! My dad drove one, not as sweet as yours, back in the early 60's. Love the wheels.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

9/25/2020 10:25 PM  #25

I agree with 6sally6 my PC automatically comes to this site every day

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.