FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2020 7:21 AM  #26

Re: “Other” forums

Its one of the sites that just stays open in my browser.

6sally6 had a good point about H.A.M.B., that is a good forum from what I've seen.  The Corral is a decent forum for Fox era and newer cars, though there's always some amount of parroting and worthless posts there.  I think other forums still have good information, though they require more sifting to find it.  That's the hardest thing with internet information in general.  I always look to see the consensus opinion.  If five guys who all seem sharp say the same thing I'm reasonably confident its good info.  Here though I don't really ever see bad info, rather there are times when members simply have different opinions and perspectives.  I greatly prefer it, because it allows the person seeking information to pro and con their decision a couple ways and decide for themselves which way they want to go. 

9/26/2020 8:31 AM  #27

I don't post very much but I check this site almost every day. I have been building a 68 coupe for years as I can find time and the information on this site is invaluable. You don't have to sift through the crap and politics on like other sites. I am employed in a field everyone seems to hate (if you listen to the news) and this is the first site I go to to "get away" when I fire up the computer. I have done several MustangSteve upgrades. The guys that frequent this site are good people and I really enjoy it. Please don't change!

9/26/2020 9:47 AM  #28

I agree w/TKO, this is the best site I found and see no need to change.  All questions are answered by knowledgeable people w/o emotions or degrading the person asking the question.
While I joined Facebook, I do not look for advice or technical information.  I do have to say I recently cleaned house of some non-car related appliances on Facebook's 'Marketplace' and the items were sold and gone in just a couple days.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/26/2020 3:25 PM  #29

You know how I feel butt just in case I'll repeat...
Thanks very much, MS for starting this and thank you very much for allowing the likes of me to be part of it.
As I tell all the newbies, this is the best place on the web.  And furthermore,  I'll bet there are dang few internet forums whose members get together every year....and still like each other.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/26/2020 7:44 PM  #30

Bpaw wrote:

I am employed in a field everyone seems to hate (if you listen to the news) !

Okayyyy...........hmmmmmm!!!! .....
A politician??....A proctologist??......a sandblaster??......a fiber glass insulation hanger??......a Port-o-Let Tech??..... a Shivel-lay salesman??......septic tank pumper??....
WHAT!!??

6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/26/2020 9:55 PM  #31

6sally6 wrote:

Bpaw wrote:

A politician??....A proctologist??......a sandblaster??......a fiber glass insulation hanger??......a Port-o-Let Tech??..... a Shivel-lay salesman??......septic tank pumper??....
WHAT!!??

6sally6

Revenoo’er?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/27/2020 5:35 AM  #32

6sally6 wrote:

Bpaw wrote:

WHAT!!??

6sally6

I'm going to use some deductive logic here.  None of us need the news to know that everyone except politicians (and probably even about half of them) hate politicians.

I don't think we hate the proctologist; we hate going to the proctologist, but the end result is that you don't die from colon cancer, so I'm more of a fan than a hater.

No, I'm guessing Bpaw, and not sure the exact nature of his handle, but I'm wondering if the "P" stands for what I think it does, is a member of one of our nations municipalities finest.  Part of the thin blue line as it were. 

9/27/2020 8:40 AM  #33

Good morning pray all is well. You really have to look at this is not just a forum for information. I remembered my first post. It started relationships that would have not happened if it was not for the love Mustangs and safety of the drivers . When me and my wife were welcomed in nobody cared if We were black or white or what my political views were or if I had money or not. Some of the information or decisions that work for some don’t work for all.Some like fuel injection some like Carbs. Some like electric fans some like mechanical fans.Please don’t get any ideas of pulling the plug on the forum I have visited and stayed overnight members homes made calls overseas checking on members and have spent money on making sure the Coupe was ready for bash trips and updating something every year since my car was in the beginning stages when I joined. I did not care the way it looked I cared about the people so I drove the snot out of it just to see y’all some once a year some more. The only down side I see and why I make sure I maintain the relationships is most of us have more time behind us than ahead and long trips my start to be out of the question for some. But I am thankful for information when my dad died from members and for now taking care of my mom with dementia. Simple said off topic but the forum means a lot to me it hasn’t helped me stop wasting money on my car but from Steve’s advice I let Felicia know about the money I am wasting and instead of floors I lost on A bet she said  I will be working on the car the week before the bash And I said I will be finished she built a new house Lol. I love you guys for real ! FYI forum for Life by the way one of the Members I won’t say his name Bearing Bob threaten to kill me if I painted my car I hoping my FYI brothers will save me If not I installed a Hot 331 to try to get away !! Pray all is well. I own two Mustangs a 65 coupe and the 2015 GT and the newer one I never even thought  about joining a forum this one is all I need 

Last edited by Coupedaddy (9/27/2020 8:45 AM)

9/27/2020 9:47 AM  #34

I've been a member here for the past 3 years.  I'm also a member of the VMF and another Ford site.  I like the FYI site and I like the VMF site as well.  Truth be told, I've gotten much more Mustang information from the VMF site than this site because the VMF site has a larger group of active "newer" members that are currently working on their Mustangs.  The questions are all over the map from interior and body repair to engine and transmission troubleshooting, etc.  The responses given to these questions, more often than not, directs the poster to a solution while providing valuable information to the other readers. Much of the conversation here seems to be focused more on speed and power related topics.  This site to me has a little more of an atmosphere for the long term members that know each other than it does for newbies with beginner questions.

I like this site and I read it often.  When I have a question, I admit that I feel more comfortable asking it on the VMF site before here.  I would love to see this site attract more threads like the ones that are active on the VMF site. 

Last edited by Rufus68 (9/27/2020 9:48 AM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/27/2020 10:03 AM  #35

One of the things I've noticed is that a browser search for "classic mustang forum" comes up with VMF, Mustang Forums.com, allfordmustangs, stangnet, vmf, ...  FYI Ford isn't showing up.  How come?

This seems to me to be a major flaw.  This forum does have great information but if people can't easily find it, they won't use it. 

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/27/2020 2:10 PM  #36

John Ha has a good observation.  I set my search results to 50.  Searching for "Classic Mustang Forum" on Bing does not return "fyi.boardhost.com" at all on the first page of 50.  Searching for it on Google does return it but not near the top.  Also, the URL: "fyi.boardhost.com" does not look like a "safe" URL to click on when looking for a car forum site.  Perhaps this is a significant reason for the low hits for new users.

The names:  FYIFord.org;  ClassicFord.org both seem to be available.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/27/2020 2:16 PM  #37

For the love of god, please do not turn this over to a reddit forum.  Social media is generally garbage.

Reality is, most every question on these 60 year old cars has been answered.  It's just about getting to the information.  

I'm really looking to get into a car meetup or event group.  Might start one if I can get the time.  I got a target location to host in downtown Dallas.  Mentioned in another post.... some kind of casual event thing might be worth adding as a feature to the site.  If I start a meetup it would be a big help to be able to promote it.

9/27/2020 3:27 PM  #38

What’s the desire for increased traffic here?
I realize that there are some slow days but all in all the responses here are outstandingly well thought out and civil.
In some cases posts get a lot more answers on other sites but many  are just sycophantic and uninformed , too much chaff to sort through.
VMF with 63 k members chances are you might get a response form someone who has the the exact situation you are asking about but, and that’s a big but, the answers here have a very high trustworthy factor.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

9/27/2020 3:49 PM  #39

Rufus68 wrote:

John Ha has a good observation.  I set my search results to 50.  Searching for "Classic Mustang Forum" on Bing does not return "fyi.boardhost.com" at all on the first page of 50.  Searching for it on Google does return it but not near the top.  Also, the URL: "fyi.boardhost.com" does not look like a "safe" URL to click on when looking for a car forum site.  Perhaps this is a significant reason for the low hits for new users.

The names:  FYIFord.org;  ClassicFord.org both seem to be available.

I would surmise that since all of those sites have sponsors or advertisers they are paying for SEO and hogging the top rated results for searches.  That's how it works anymore.  Unfortunately the idea that the information we see when we search hasn't been manipulated in the interest of making money is just a romantic fantasy anymore. 

9/27/2020 6:34 PM  #40

I found this site around 2000, and have basically learned everything I need to know about early Mustangs right here. I don't think you could find a friendlier group of gearheads anywhere else, and, you can get a real answer on any question. This forum is also a unique place where you can talk about your Studebaker, your Firebird, or Sal's S-10, or whatever. Try that on any other marque forum!

9/28/2020 12:17 PM  #41

TKOPerformance wrote:

I would surmise that since all of those sites have sponsors or advertisers they are paying for SEO and hogging the top rated results for searches.  That's how it works anymore.  

Actually it's more important to register the site with the search engines (such as Google) and to have appropriate key words defined.

There are any number of good articles out there that explain it.  Here are a couple of them:  https://www.stylefactoryproductions.com/blog/six-simple-ways-to-make-your-site-more-visible-in-google-search-results

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Website-to-Show-up-on-the-Search-Engines

I don't know how the boardhost application works or if it allows clients to do stuff like this but if it does and there is interest in gathering new blood, these actions would be worth investigating.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

9/28/2020 12:56 PM  #42

My main concern is we don’t seem to be helping alot of the newer owners, as they resort to facebook groups. Apparently, the search engine issue of invisibility is the cause.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/28/2020 1:28 PM  #43

Even if it were not the biggest cause, it definitely hurts the chances of a new owner with a question being directed here as a possible source of answers.  We all know that most people, not being tech savy,  view the search engines as the only doors into the Internet.

9/28/2020 2:02 PM  #44

So basically...have all parts and topics that could pertain to a Mustang or Ford listed in search engine?

Kinda like all of the Craigslist sales with every make and model listed in their sale item for even if it doesn’t apply to what you’re looking for?
I know I never typed in Bentley or Rolls Royce while searching on CL.

Amazon is the worst for me. Just so much nonsense I hardly use Amazon.

9/28/2020 5:45 PM  #45

So it comes up, but we are ranking 15th when searching for "classic mustang diy forum".  12th if just searching "classic mustang forum".  All of the ones that come up first that are not a Facebook group or on pintrest have ads on the pages.  This is through Google.

With ad revenue we could pay to improve those results, but honestly I love the fact that there are no ads on here.  Sites with ads and sponsors I feel are less than honest as I've seen posts deleted that were truthful, but spoke ill of an advertiser's product.

I think if someone is so inclined to see if we can optimize our ranking without having to buy the standing its worth it, but I don't want to see this become another site where there are ads breaking up threads, constant pop ups, etc.

9/28/2020 5:59 PM  #46

MS wrote:

My main concern is we don’t seem to be helping alot of the newer owners, as they resort to facebook groups. Apparently, the search engine issue of invisibility is the cause.

Steve, that's part of it, but the reality is social media is taking a lot away from traditional forums. You'd be surprised by how many people search Facebook first vs Google. I run the NLOC (National Lightning Owner's Club) and the associated forum. Facebook, Instagram, etc have taken a huge bite out of traffic. I did a few things to help.

1. I made an NLOC Facebook group
2. Myself and other active forum members "guide" people to the forum when they have questions
3. Started using Instagram for the NLOC so posts on Instagram go on both that and the Facebook group. Another NLOC member helps me

It's just the way of the world now, people simply want pictures and videos...

Last edited by Raymond_B (9/28/2020 6:00 PM)

9/28/2020 6:47 PM  #47

I started an FYIFORD Facebook group about five years ago.  Lots of members resisted.  I got tired of multiple effort.  Did not get much use. 

I finally shut it down.  It still exists in archived form.

My main complaint about facebook?   I will be looking at my page or some group or whatever, and I wind up some place I don’t recognize with no idea how I got there, or how to get back where I intended to be.

As for this forum being ad free...  that is a result of the MustangSteve company paying fees to provide ad free use.  Thanks, Michael, for providing that.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/28/2020 8:13 PM  #48

MS wrote:

I started an FYIFORD Facebook group about five years ago. Lots of members resisted. I got tired of multiple effort. Did not get much use.

I finally shut it down. It still exists in archived form.

My main complaint about facebook? I will be looking at my page or some group or whatever, and I wind up some place I don’t recognize with no idea how I got there, or how to get back where I intended to be.

As for this forum being ad free... that is a result of the MustangSteve company paying fees to provide ad free use. Thanks, Michael, for providing that.

I hear ya and your efforts are appreciated as well as the site being ad free! I was just relating my experience. I will say existing members have no use for FB or Instagram or whatever, they like the forum, it's all the new folks you never knew about. It takes a while to gain momentum, and you WILL find yourself with at least three different sets of members some will only do forum, some will do both, and some will only do social media.

Last edited by Raymond_B (9/28/2020 8:13 PM)

9/30/2020 3:23 PM  #49

MS wrote:

My main concern is we don’t seem to be helping alot of the newer owners

I think you hit the nail on the head there but indirectly.  Most of the members of this forum have been so for 10, 15 or more years and in that time many of the Mustang projects (not mine ) have been "finished".  There is less to talk about when your car is done.  Finding a way to add new blood would revive this forum, and was already stated search engines are a big part of that.  4 or 5 years ago my website, including all of its pages, got at total of 5000-8000 hits a month, but now I am averaging 1500.  If you search restoration or Mustang you get people selling things and not the free exchange of information that was once available.  Not only that people would rather watch a video on youtube than read an article so there has been a huge shift there.  It takes work to READ all the posts in a thread and no work to click play.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

10/01/2020 5:16 AM  #50

Videos can be extremely useful.  I would be willing to shoot some how to videos if we can get a way to properly host them.  I suppose we could just link people to videos we put on YouTube, but then I feel we would get lost in the infinite videos on YouTube, and our identity gets lost in the shuffle. 

Speaking of things other than print, I know a lot of members have had issues posting pics too, so possibly that system could be revisited.  IMO if we have to pay for a good service consider asking members to pitch in on a yearly basis.  I'm betting if we all threw in $20 we would have a couple hundred bucks in no time.  No reason you or anyone else should have to bear the cost alone.  I think we all take ownership in this community, and if that has a monetary aspect so be it. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.