FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2020 9:29 AM  #1

Rear end gear choice, for t5 trans

Just putting this out there for some info. 67 coupe 351w mild cam (1,500 to 5,500 rpm)  the engine makes great
torque in 4th gear it pulls from 1,100 rpm. It seems to be crying for a 5 spd at 2k it's about 47 mph. It runs a lot
better than the 289 a code, it also uses a bit more gas. I don't have to run it hard just press on the gas easy,
and your moving. ( My right foot also has to do with mpg decrease ). I'm looking at a new trans set up from modern
drive line first gen t5 with the higher first gear. I have a 9" rear end from a 69 mach 1 in the car, the gears are 325
open rear end, I'm thinking about a 350 posi set up from speedway motors (new).  Modern drive line recommened
370 gears, I think this might be a little too low? The car runs great I don't really run it hard or pound on it. still
breaking in the engine, hit 5k a couple of times, I don't think I will be red lining it very much at all. A 4 spd top loader
is in the car right now. What do you guy's think?  mustang stu
P.S. I want to thank ms (all info you gave me was right on the money!) sally for the cam advise and every one
else for there help.

11/04/2020 9:38 AM  #2

Re: Rear end gear choice, for t5 trans

3.25:1 & 3.55:1 with a T-5 is considered near perfect ratio if you drive it  alot on the highway.
3.73:1 & 4.11:1 for around town/cruise in and occasional trips down the drag strip.IMHO
Sounds like UR there! (maybe a trac-loc to help with wheel spin when you DO occasionally tweak-it!
If you swap to something stiffer.........let me know I want some 3.25's
6s6

We need a video to see/hear this street terror!!!!!

Last edited by 6sally6 (11/04/2020 9:40 AM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

11/04/2020 10:12 AM  #3

I have a 3.25 gear with my 302 and t5 and I really like it.   Prior I had a T10 4speed with a 411 gear.  Hated that.  Switch the gear to 3.25 and it was a little better.  Then went with the t5.  A lot better.

Steve69

11/04/2020 12:17 PM  #4

I would go with the 3.25's.  I drive much the same as you and would like that ratio rather than my 3.00's.

Also, by all means get a close ratio T5.  The 3.35 first gear in the wide ratio box will be almost useless to you.  I have a 3.35 and hate it even with the 3.00 rear end.  The close ratio box with it's 2.95 first will work much better. 

A long time ago I had 3.25's in the rear with a 2.95 top loader.  It worked perfectly.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

11/04/2020 1:58 PM  #5

I had stock 5.0/T5/3.73 and trac lock in my 92.
First was too low,
Fourth was winding out.
Fifth was great cruising.

Same stock 5.0/T5/3.25 Currie trac lock in the 65.
First is too tall.
Fourth is great below 60-ish.
Fifth is primarily highway cruising.

This is a stockish 5.0 with factory cam, head, long tube headers.

It had shorty headers and x pipe when on 92.

Therefore, it doesn’t produce the torque a mild 351w  can make.

I’ve had fun with both.

somewhere between 3.25 to 3.70 might round out both ends of driving spectrum.

Keep 3.25 for starts and see how you like it first.
It will be fine with a 351w...and easier on wallet.😂

Last edited by Nos681 (11/04/2020 2:10 PM)

11/04/2020 4:20 PM  #6

First will be short with a gear ratio above 3.25:1. with a stock 3.35:1 ratio first geared T5 (Fox era V8 trans).  I run a 3.50 in my '67 and don't find it so short its objectionable, but I also have fairly tall rear tires due to the 17" wheels.

My '89 has 3.73s, but will be using a 2.95 1st geared T5 (Astro gears), and that should be about perfect, especially with an engine that will wind to or past the stock 6,250 rev limiter. 

On a typical small block that's done by 5,500 a 3.25-3.50 is a good choice with a 3.35 first.  If it will wind higher you can go to a 3.73, but I consider 4.10s too tall.  I used to watch all the Fox cars at the strip and I could tell what rear gear they had by where they had to shift into 2nd.  The 4.10 cars barely made it out of the hole, and actually ran slower than the 3.73 cars because they needed 4th at the end of the track and crossed the finish line out of peak torque in direct drive. 

FYI, the reason they made the Z spec T5 was to both reduce the first gear ratio for use with a performance rear gear ratio, and better space the gears.  The stock Fox gearing was designed to use low rear gears for CAFE numbers while still allowing good acceleration in 1-4 gears.  One of the first mods a lot of guys did was to change the rear gears, but they found out it made first gear too short if they went too tall, and exacerbated the gear spacing issue with the stock gears.  Ford Motorsports had a version of the T5 built by Borg/Warner that fixed these issues, and that became the Z spec you can still buy new from Tremec. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.