FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2020 10:53 AM  #1

How many gallons in a 16 gallon tank? (Part 2)

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 Swap, EFI/MAF, T5z

Trying to get the fuel cage calibrated in my ride.  I did a switch to the Dakota digital gauges.  The custom calibration calls for starting w/ an empty tank filling it 1/3, tanking a reading, 2/3 take another reading, fill it and take final reading.  Sounds easy and in my first effort I let the car run out of gas and it only took just under 15 gallons which through the reading off.  Second time I did it the tank filled with 14.5 gallons which messed up the calibration again.  This blew my mind b/c a standard tank is 16 gallons.

In part 2 of my adventure I let the car get low on gas and then drained it.  What I discovered it that the fuel tank spigot is actually about an inch off the bottom of the tank, in a corner, and the tank slopes back naturally.  So I actually jacked up the rear of the car about 2 feet on my level driveway and drained it completely.  I then measured out 2 gallons of gas exactly, and went to the gas station.  I did in fact top off at 14 gallons making it a complete 16 gallons.  So that explains that... so for future reference, a 65-66 gas tank will have about 1-2 gallons of fuel in the tank when it runs empty just b/c of the geometry of the tank.

I went ahead and pulled the fuel sender to get the resistance readings.  It came out to 85 ohms/ 15 ohms for empty and full.  The problem I'm having now is that the gauge is displaying empty even with a full tank and the resistance test is saying "000 Ohms".  I'm not sure what that means.  If it was a bad ground, the manual says it will display "999 ohms".  I read on another forum that there is a tab or something that needs to be properly connected or ground.  Idk, Dakota Digital isn't open till Monday.  I ordered 3 - 5 gallon gas jugs to do the calibration at home.  I don't think the fuel sending unit could be damaged but it's possible.

11/27/2020 11:20 AM  #2

Re: How many gallons in a 16 gallon tank? (Part 2)

if the float is full of gas it will sink to the bottom showing empty when is has gas in it.. Ask me how i know. Bought a new one at my local Ford dealer. 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

11/27/2020 11:24 AM  #3

I had the same problem with my brand new Scott Drake fuel sender. Installed it and the float immediately filled with gas.

11/27/2020 1:10 PM  #4

My thought on this, and it may of been said in part 1, when the float hits the top of the tank the fuel is at the bottom of the float. you my put another gallon or two in until fuel is at the top of the float and the float will never move. Kinda like at the bottom. Just mt 2 cents.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

11/27/2020 1:12 PM  #5

Zero ohms means fully grounded. The gauge should read full.

Any measure of ohms above zero means it is “less grounded” and the gauge should read closer to empty.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

11/28/2020 7:49 AM  #6

MS wrote:

Zero ohms means fully grounded. The gauge should read full.

Any measure of ohms above zero means it is “less grounded” and the gauge should read closer to empty.

Close. 

From the Dakota Digital instruction manual, ford fuel senders 60 to late 80's should read between 73 -10 ohms, empty and full.  This is just a guide and it says +/- 5 ohms is considered acceptable.  For my ride, the reading was 83/14 the third time I tried to calibrate the fuel gauge.

It was reading empty at "000 ohms".  Turns out the connection I used on the wire to the fuel sendor was making contact with the fuel sender metal housing.  It appears to have been grounding out to it self.  Adjusted the connector and got accurate reading.  

Did it work???  Well here's a pic of the gauge at "full".
https://i.ibb.co/ZKKHCWm/20201127-171147.jpg

Comes up to about 7/8 full.  Which is an improvement from the 2/3 I got on the first try and 3/4 on the 2nd try.  I just want it to read full when it's full and empty when it's empty.  I'll be calling the Dakota Digital people on Monday to get their feedback.  Doesn't seem like other people have had this issue and this is a pretty popular system.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.