FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/11/2013 6:28 PM  #1

427 and TKO600 are IN !!!

Everything fits perfectly.  Driver side header slipped right in place with the engine bolted in.  Had to bump the engine to the driver side a hair to get the passenger side header in.  Headers have 1/2" clearance between shock towers!  I am so glad this thing is in there.  I have been working on this since Thanksgiving.

Now to start putting everything back together...

I learned something new about my Front Edelbrock shocks...  With the car seriously lowered, the shocks are too long and bottom out internally before the suspension meets the bumpstops.  This is another drawback of the spring perches sitting 1" higher than stock with the Global West control arms.

Thanks to Ramses for coming over and lending a hand.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/11/2013 10:13 PM  #2

Re: 427 and TKO600 are IN !!!

What no pictures???? I need pictures!!!!

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

8/12/2013 10:40 AM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

I learned something new about my Front Edelbrock shocks...  With the car seriously lowered, the shocks are too long and bottom out internally before the suspension meets the bumpstops.  This is another drawback of the spring perches sitting 1" higher than stock with the Global West control arms.

Thanks to Ramses for coming over and lending a hand.

Sounds like it is time to pick up the Konis that Global West recommends with the kit (or at least they did when I got it 20 years ago). For whatever reason they used QA1s in the rear.

Anyway, the handling is night-and-day vs. the stock stuff. Can't wait to see the finished product.

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

8/12/2013 12:21 PM  #4

Are all 427's created equal?  I ask because at the show on Sunday there was a 65/66 with a 427 and no shock tower revisions. Admittedly, he had made some "adjustments" to his headers. But I didn't think it was remotely possible.

I have a couple pics if anyone is interested.

8/12/2013 12:50 PM  #5

Novi Rick wrote:

Are all 427's created equal?  I ask because at the show on Sunday there was a 65/66 with a 427 and no shock tower revisions. Admittedly, he had made some "adjustments" to his headers. But I didn't think it was remotely possible.

I have a couple pics if anyone is interested.

There are lots of ways to get 427 CI including an original 427, or a modern stroker made from a 351W.  Mine takes it one step farther and uses a DART aluminum block with larger bores.  This one has 4.125" and can go larger if it ever needs a rebuild.  Stroke is 4.0".  By having larger pistons, it makes it easier on the rods since the stroke can be shorter.

This engine and header combo would have cleared the stock shock towers.  My main focus was to remove the POS from the humps on the shock towers.  I figured cutting them off and plating them flat would fix the dents and give me more room to boot.  I'll post some pics later.

8/12/2013 1:29 PM  #6

Are you bringing it to the bash?  I'd love to see it.
All the more reason to be excited about attending my first Mustang Steve Birthday Bash!

8/12/2013 2:09 PM  #7

I am nearing the end of the BASH THRASH with this car.  That is the phenomenon that everyone goes through when getting their car ready to go on a road trip, except I am replacing every single part under my car except the R&P unit and the rear axle.  And there is not currently ANY interior in the car.  Hey !!! I still have a few weeks!

My plan is to drive it on the Tail of the Dragon road and to Franklin and back.  My car has only missed one bash out of the 9 so far, and that was because it was in a wreck and spent way too much time in a body shop.

8/12/2013 4:44 PM  #8

How to fill an engine bay - 1965/66 with 427 installed - no shock tower revision, Tiiiiight fit!

8/12/2013 6:42 PM  #9

Novi, that appears to be a 351W based engine like mine. The COBRA 427 valve covers are available for the Windsor heads.  This pic shows my old 351W with Holman/Moody valve covers on it.  The new 427 stroker will look exactly the same, but with headers that I can actually get a wrench on all the bolts.

8/12/2013 7:57 PM  #10

ok thanks Steve. I bow to your expertise. Either way it looks really cool and he did a nice job I thought.

Is there that much extra room beneath an export brace and the stock braces.  He is not able to service the PCV in the valve cover so he built that little tank by the solenoid..

8/12/2013 8:19 PM  #11

This pic shows an FE 390, which would be same configuration as a 427 FE.  Note the intake manifold extends under the valve covers.  FE always has the horizontal 5/8" bypass hose between the water pump and intake.

I cannot make out for sure in your picture, but it does appear to be a Windsor based stroker from what I can tell.  The RPM Air Gap intake is a clue as well.

I am more interested in his 427 fender emblems.  Got any pics showing those?  I have been collecting 427 emblems to find some that the letters fit my 289 HIPO emblems so I can do a franken-emblem.  I bought some NOS Ford 427 Torino emblems that have the same size letters.  The letters are not as pronounced as on some Chebby 427 Turbo Jet emblems that might work even better.  My first idea was to use the Scott Drake 347 emblems and cut the 4 and the 7 off and use the 2 from a 289 emblem to make a set, but Scott Drake saw fit to change the font of the letters to something totally different than the 289 emblems, so they do not match up.  Just another interesting detail of a build gone crazy.  I have alot of bucks invested in the emblems and it still might not work.  In the meantime, I ordered a jeweler's saw to make very precision metal cuts.

Last edited by MustangSteve (8/12/2013 8:27 PM)

8/12/2013 10:06 PM  #12

Steve:

Please look closely at the pictures of Novi Rick's shocks.  See the spacers on the mounting studs between the car and the bracket?  That fixes your shock too long/wheel travel issue.

Good luck with the thrash.

8/12/2013 10:52 PM  #13

CraigMBA wrote:

Steve:

Please look closely at the pictures of Novi Rick's shocks.  See the spacers on the mounting studs between the car and the bracket?  That fixes your shock too long/wheel travel issue.

Yep, there are definitely spacers under the outer shock mount bracket holes - eagle eyes Craig!

(Pinto!)

8/12/2013 11:36 PM  #14

Well, that and I have some on my car too.  

8/13/2013 8:53 AM  #15

I did consider spacers, Craig.  I just prefer not to use them.  Youcan also add a spacer between the shock itself and the top of the shock mount.  Alot easier that way.  Two short lengths of tubing and two longer bolts.

I loved the way my Edelbrock shocks rode.  Out of all the different shocks I had on my car, they were the best ride.  But I could never get my arms around the fact they install upside down, with the "big end" at the top.  So, they are getting replaced with Bilsteins.

8/13/2013 8:54 AM  #16

McStang wrote:

CraigMBA wrote:

Steve:

Yep, there are definitely spacers under the outer shock mount bracket holes - eagle eyes Craig!

Speaking of spacers, a fellow racer at a recent track day recommend I put spacers under my shock mounts. I did not notice any kind of bottoming out on the track and I have 2" of the shock rod exposed. How much of the shock rod should be exposed for proper shock travel?

Last edited by ponyboy66 (8/13/2013 11:11 AM)

66 coupe 289 Weiand T5 3.40 disc brakes progressive coils Bilstein 4.5 leaf mid-eyes 1" front sway bar 16" wheels

8/13/2013 4:25 PM  #17

MustangSteve wrote:

I did consider spacers, Craig.  I just prefer not to use them.  Youcan also add a spacer between the shock itself and the top of the shock mount.  Alot easier that way.  Two short lengths of tubing and two longer bolts.

I loved the way my Edelbrock shocks rode.  Out of all the different shocks I had on my car, they were the best ride.  But I could never get my arms around the fact they install upside down, with the "big end" at the top.  So, they are getting replaced with Bilsteins.

Liftgate struts are made to have the big end at the top, to keep the seal at the bottom lubricated to help them last longer. Turn one over, let the oil run away from the seal and it won't last long.
Don't ask me how I know this....
Maybe the Ebrock shocks use the same principle?

8/13/2013 7:05 PM  #18

I don't know darren, which way is up sometimes...  Notice with the rod UP, you can at least SEE how much cleaarnce they have.  My Ebrocks are probably just fine if I really measure them.  I just convinced myself to get something else.  The Edelbrock shocks will wind up on my 69 coupe.  I was going to have to buy shocks for it anyway.  The 69 has shorter mounts at the top, so less of the big tube will be visible.  Plus, the car is red, so they will match.

BONUS TIP:
Back to that car showing the 427 with the spacers on the shock towers.  See those hex bolts holding his Monte Carlo bar to the inner fender, on the top?  I guarantee if you look up at the corresponding area on the bottom of the hood, there will be two matching dents that line up exactly with those two bolts.  He needs to use carriage bolts for those 4 bolts.  File the hole square to insert them into and then you can tighten from the bottom without having to wrench the top.  Shock mount carriage bolts work well.

8/13/2013 8:18 PM  #19

Boy have I got a lot to learn

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.