FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2021 11:54 AM  #1

Auto parts

So I needed to do some work done on one of the vehicles. I went on line to check price and availability. Advance had the best price on the part with their on line 15% off. That's when I noticed it said "Same day free delivery". I don't have to get in my truck in this cold weather and pick it up? Way to cool, (not the weather). I know parts stores always delivered to garage repair shops for free but not to personal addresses. I live in a small 1 horse town but I was wondering, how long has this been available in other areas. The part wont be here until 3:30 but I wasn't going to start until tomorrow any how. Then to top it off my on line coupon finder got me 25% off instead of 15%. Maybe the world ain't going to H$LL after all.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

1/18/2021 12:38 PM  #2

Re: Auto parts

"Cheap parts delivered for a cheap price......"  what a concept!!!!!

Nawwwww Walt.......they get most of their 'stuff' from the same guy that NAPA/Rock Auto gets theirs.
They prolly just sell more "shiny trinkets" to bump up their gross profit...I guess.
I'm an Advance shopper too (and NAPA/Rock Auto/Auto Zoo!)
Stay warm and dry
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

1/18/2021 12:51 PM  #3

The NAPA in Evergreen (18 miles/30 minute drive) will deliver to the Feed Store at the end of my street.
Rock Auto has great prices, but unless you have a coupon shipping charges will kill you. This past month I was looking for a master cylinder and checked RA. I searched on the part number and Home Depot would sell it to me for less and ship for free. I just purchased a fuel pump (66 with integral filter) from HD. I say let your fingers do the walking.

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

1/18/2021 1:14 PM  #4

Due to Amazon, all stores are looking to modify their policies to bring the same type of service.  
In my area (about 25 miles north of NYC), NAPA, Auto Zone, Home Depot, etc., will take orders for items they don't have in-stock and offer pickup at the store, but charges for home delivery. 
Interesting, I've used Fram Oil Filters, PH8, for years, recently I found the best price at Lowes, had to order them, never would think to look at Lowes for oil filters. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

1/18/2021 2:35 PM  #5

RV6 wrote:

Rock Auto has great prices, but unless you have a coupon shipping charges will kill you.

That and trying to return anything is a very tedious process, well I guess compared to other online retailers. On the part I had to return I had to fill out this big online form and then call in to explain why again.

Yes I know I am spoiled by Amazon and other return policies

1/18/2021 4:58 PM  #6

The local NAPA will deliver to my house for free.  They are only 2 miles away.  The other local places like Tabers and Berodin I can get delivered to my neighbors if I don't have the means to go out.  He's only about a 5 minutes walk each way.  He's always getting deliveries for business, so I just ask him to put whatever I need on the order and give him cash for it. 

In recent years I have started using a lot of online places for parts.  RockAuto I frequent, and I get my Ford, Toyota, and Subaru parts almost exclusively from online sources.  The local dealerships mostly want to charge you full on list for parts, and there's no relationship anymore like there was in years past.  I needed an oil cooler for my truck once they wanted $417.  I had it delivered to my doors for $260.  So anymore I just say screw them if its not something I know they'll have in stock, and even then I use the online price to beat them up a bit. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.