FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2021 3:15 PM  #1

Let's talk alignment...

Actually, lets discuss alignment tools.

My current stable consists of a 65 and 66 mustang. Both have after market, non steel wheels.
Completing the garage ensemble is a 67 cougar, currently sporting steel wheels.

So, knowing I have three knock-kneed vehicles needing alignment, I'm at the point of investing in alignment tools with the exception of turn plates, I'll make my own.

Looking for inputs from anyone owning these tools. Whatcha got, do you like them, short comings, etc, etc....si I can make a wise investment.

Right now, I don't need advice on how to do an alignment, I'll ask for that later...

Thanks in advance....

1/25/2021 4:26 PM  #2

Re: Let's talk alignment...

Fastrax caster/camber gauge.  Get the wheel lip adapters; its basically worthless without them.  Good setup, easy to use.  I've aligned three different vehicles with it and they all drive great.  Tool is now paid for by not having to pay for those three alignments.  Make sure your turn plates are accurately marked for degrees.  The only thing tricky about the setup is it interpolates caster, so you need accurate degrees of turn each way.

I've always set toe with a tape measure.  Start with equal length tie rods and adjust them equally until you get the desired setting.  If the steering wheel ends up off center pull it and recenter it. 

You can check the thrust angle with two long straight lengths of angle iron, etc. set up on blocks, cans. etc to get above the bulge at the bottom to the tire.  Then its just measuring with the tape again.

1/26/2021 7:47 AM  #3

I bought the Longacre gauge and the quickset wheel adapter (http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=2446&prodid=7252&pagetitle=Digital-C%2fC-Gauge-w-AccuLevel™-and-Quick-Set™-Adapter).

The gauge is great and works well but using the quickset adapter gave me inconsistent and inaccurate gauge readings.  I wrote the company about it and they said something to the effect that it's not unusual for that to happen.  So I don't use that any more.  Instead I place the level/gauge on the wheel rim to get the readings, making sure it's plumb before I take the reading.  

I also use a tape measure for toe but use a couple of cheap construction leveling lasers to "draw the lines" on the floor.  I made brackets that thread onto a wheel stud (you have to remove one lug nut to use it) that the magnetic laser bases attach to.  

I use a fertilizer bag under each wheel for turn plates.  I use a protractor and mark tape on the floor with the angles needed for the caster alignment and use the laser on the wheel to tell me when I've gotten to the correct angle.

Last edited by John Ha (1/26/2021 7:51 AM)

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

1/26/2021 8:28 AM  #4

Hi Josh,  I also have the Fastrax caster/camber gauge. I don't have the wheel lip adapters and never found I have needed them for my 66. I made my turning plates and the rails to set the tow.  Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

1/26/2021 8:36 AM  #5

John Ha wrote:

I bought the Longacre gauge and the quickset wheel adapter (http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=2446&prodid=7252&pagetitle=Digital-C%2fC-Gauge-w-AccuLevel™-and-Quick-Set™-Adapter).

The gauge is great and works well but using the quickset adapter gave me inconsistent and inaccurate gauge readings.  I wrote the company about it and they said something to the effect that it's not unusual for that to happen.  So I don't use that any more.  Instead I place the level/gauge on the wheel rim to get the readings, making sure it's plumb before I take the reading.  

I also use a tape measure for toe but use a couple of cheap construction leveling lasers to "draw the lines" on the floor.  I made brackets that thread onto a wheel stud (you have to remove one lug nut to use it) that the magnetic laser bases attach to.  

I use a fertilizer bag under each wheel for turn plates.  I use a protractor and mark tape on the floor with the angles needed for the caster alignment and use the laser on the wheel to tell me when I've gotten to the correct angle.

That's pretty much how I do it, John.  Except I made a coupe of turning plates out of four 12" square 14ga steel plates and a little grease. 
To use the Longacre gauge I had to figure out how to attache the magnetic gauge to the Cragar wheels....so, I made a steel plate that attaches to the hub of the wheel after removing the center cap.  Kind of a PIA but, really?...how often do you need to align the car.  Made templates for the turning angles and marked the floor accordingly. 
Seems to work fine.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

1/26/2021 1:19 PM  #6

BobC wrote:

Hi Josh,  I also have the Fastrax caster/camber gauge. I don't have the wheel lip adapters and never found I have needed them for my 66. I made my turning plates and the rails to set the tow.  Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Worth noting that everything I've aligned with mine has aluminum wheels.  I simply could not get the gauge to stay in the correct position on the wheel without the lip adapters.  Possibly steel wheels, or older lip designs are more forgiving. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.