FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2021 5:43 PM  #1

Starter

The 27 year old reman starter in the Mustang started slowly dying last summer so replacement time is here. I pulled the starter today and dismantled it to see what was wrong. The brushes are toast and the communicator is worn large time plus there was a lot of insulation type crap laying in the nose cone. 

The car has a 94 T5 with late 80's bell. The flywheel is stock 1967 vintage and uses the 3/4 offset (according to PowerMaster) which is what the old one is. 9 teeth on the drive pinion. 

Will this starter from our friends at Rock Auto work?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/motorcraft,NSA3268N,starter+motor,4152

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

2/04/2021 9:06 PM  #2

Re: Starter

The starter in the photo is correct for a 157 tooth flywheel.The drive gear on a 164 tooth flywheel starter would barely be visible in that photo.

2/05/2021 7:57 AM  #3

I think I have the same starter sitting on a shelf. It is brand new except it needs a new  case.  I had some interference with my aftermarket block when I went to install it and elected to try and grind a little off the starter rather than grind the block and ground too much and wound up grinding through the starter housing.

If your case is good, you could swap the intervals and be good to go.

I am happy to give it to you for the cost of shipping.

I can post a pic later if you are interested.

2/05/2021 9:44 AM  #4

Texas! wrote:

The starter in the photo is correct for a 157 tooth flywheel.The drive gear on a 164 tooth flywheel starter would barely be visible in that photo.

I agree. if the photo is of the actual starter it will work. I just want to know if anyone has actually used said starter and is the photo correct.

2/05/2021 9:46 AM  #5

Chaplin wrote:

I think I have the same starter sitting on a shelf. It is brand new except it needs a new case. I had some interference with my aftermarket block when I went to install it and elected to try and grind a little off the starter rather than grind the block and ground too much and wound up grinding through the starter housing.

Those old starters way a ton and shipping could cost the same a I can buy a rebuilt one local. Thanks for the offer.

2/05/2021 12:23 PM  #6

RV6 wrote:

Texas! wrote:

I agree. if the photo is of the actual starter it will work. I just want to know if anyone has actually used said starter and is the photo correct.

Then all you have to do is CALL Rock Auto and ask.
I'll look for their phone number for you.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

2/05/2021 12:36 PM  #7

If using a vintage flywheel, the starter must be designed for early manual transmission use.  The gear projection distance must be same as early manual starter projection.
Compare the projection to your old one.  If same, it will work.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

2/05/2021 7:33 PM  #8

RV6 wrote:

Chaplin wrote:

I think I have the same starter sitting on a shelf. It is brand new except it needs a new case. I had some interference with my aftermarket block when I went to install it and elected to try and grind a little off the starter rather than grind the block and ground too much and wound up grinding through the starter housing.

Those old starters way a ton and shipping could cost the same a I can buy a rebuilt one local. Thanks for the offer.

Well, you are welcome to swing by and pick it too!  LOL!

2/09/2021 11:43 AM  #9

New vs Old. Half the size and weight.

2/09/2021 8:51 PM  #10

It sure looks nice.....does it fit? Work? 

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

2/10/2021 4:07 PM  #11

Bolted to Floor wrote:

It seems to turn the engine over just dandy. It was also easier to install due to the small size.

2/10/2021 7:32 PM  #12

RV6 wrote:

Bolted to Floor wrote:

It seems to turn the engine over just dandy. It was also easier to install due to the small size.

Point of purchase and part number please...

2/11/2021 10:01 AM  #13

josh-kebob wrote:

Point of purchase and part number please...

Rock Auto Part Number NSA3268N $87. My local NAPA carries it also for $128.

Gary

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.