FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2013 8:51 PM  #1

Totally OT: CNC carved gear I made today...

Cut this 46" diameter gear out of 2" foam today. I'll use some faux-rust paint to make it look 123 years old then hang it on the shop wall. Pretty fun project.

Last edited by darren (8/15/2013 8:51 PM)

8/15/2013 8:53 PM  #2

Re: Totally OT: CNC carved gear I made today...

How totally cool.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

8/15/2013 9:02 PM  #3

That is pretty cool!  You going to put a ring of LED lights behind it?  They had those in 1890, didn't they?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/15/2013 9:24 PM  #4

would make a perfect mold for a sand cast replica.

8/15/2013 9:51 PM  #5

How long did it take your CNC to carve the gear?

8/16/2013 5:41 AM  #6

Thanks Guys!
No LEDs. lol.
The rust paint will make it look like this MDF window frame I made for my spraybooth doors.
It is real rust. The gear should look like it weighs several hundred pounds when done.
Total time on the machine was about 3 hours. I let it run while I was spraying cabinet parts in the booth.

8/16/2013 5:43 AM  #7

Here is the window in the door.
The gear will have the same patina when done.
Crusty and rusty.

8/16/2013 6:22 AM  #8

darren wrote:

Cut this 46" diameter gear out of 2" foam today. I'll use some faux-rust paint to make it look 123 years old then hang it on the shop wall. Pretty fun project.

Very nice, shoulda changed the name to Darren Foundry.

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

8/16/2013 2:38 PM  #9

So it's come to this: us old car restorers are so used to having rust around that we feel compelled to create it where there is none.

8/16/2013 2:49 PM  #10

Guess so....

8/16/2013 2:55 PM  #11

When Ya get the "patina" on it all Ya got to do then is shoot some mat finish clear on it. Then Ya can flip it to them Monkeywrench Garrage dudes fer The Big Buck$

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/16/2013 3:22 PM  #12

Very cool Darren, nice work. Like those windows. What's the paint you're using. Long time ago I worked for a company called Modern Options that makes all sorts of metallic paints for putting the cool patina on just about anything. Wondering if that's what you're using or if there are other folks making similar stuff these days.

(Pinto!)

8/16/2013 3:35 PM  #13

Modern Masters makes the paint I use.

8/16/2013 4:07 PM  #14

You got a ShopBot?

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/16/2013 4:41 PM  #15

its a 60x144 Mechmate I built myself.

8/16/2013 8:21 PM  #16

Thats pretty big, my brother has a 48 x 96 shopbot and it still takes up some room.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/16/2013 8:49 PM  #17

Takes a corner of the shop all by itself...

8/17/2013 7:26 AM  #18

I'm assuming you use clamp down or screws instead of vacuum? Also, is that the dust collector you use there on the back side?

8/18/2013 6:03 AM  #19

I use vacuum holddown for almost everything I cut. That is a dedicated dust collector you see behind the machine.

8/18/2013 6:32 AM  #20

I have questions! What is your trade? Do you do all the 3D modeling yourself? Can you use any software as long as it saves in some standardized format? Limitations of the machine... Materials? Size of blanks? How large? How small? How accurate?  That has to be one of the coolest toys ever! Not sure I could ever leave the shop if I had access to one. Thanks for sharing, and you realize we all want to see the final project!

Lance

8/19/2013 8:59 PM  #21

Lance wrote:

I have questions! What is your trade?I own a remodeling company, and have a 4000 square foot shop dedicated to building cabinets, bars and built ins. (and the occasional Mustang, when time permits...) Do you do all the 3D modeling yourself? Yes Can you use any software as long as it saves in some standardized format? Kinda. I can import bitmaps, jpegs, DXFs , and convert them to G-code for the machine.Limitations of the machine... Materials? Anything but metal or stone. I could cut aluminum with coolant, but it would require too much cleaning to switch back to wood.  Size of blanks? How large? How small? How accurate?  The bed size is 60"x144"x8" depth of cut. I routinely cut to 3 decimal places. The machine can run a 1/16" ballnose bit with as little as 5% stepover, which is .003125 per pass. Thats theoretical, because even with belt drive reduction, its not THAT accurate. Lets just say wood expands and contracts more than my accuracy.That has to be one of the coolest toys ever! Not sure I could ever leave the shop if I had access to one. Thanks for sharing, and you realize we all want to see the final project!

Lance

I responded inside your quoted text in red. I went to pick up the paint today only to be told they sold it to someone else over the weekend. REordered.....2 weeks.
Here is a link to my build journal showing the entire start to finish of my machine, which carries serial #101 of documented completed machines.....

http://mechmate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3124

8/19/2013 9:06 PM  #22

Made some shelf brackets to hold the shop radio and help get the brooms etc. organized.
This is the curse.... could have bought some 3 dollar metal ones, but spent a Saturday morning building this instead.

8/22/2013 7:39 PM  #23

The rust paint is backordered for a couple weeks, so I sprayed some leftover red-oxide primer on it and "bolted" it to the wall.
Mainly because its safest there, but we are having a little get together this weekend and I'm curious to get reactions to it.
I'll rust finish it as soon as the material gets delivered.

Last edited by darren (8/22/2013 7:43 PM)

8/23/2013 6:30 AM  #24

It looks real, very nice job.   Are the big bolts fake?   Did you make them also?

66 Vert.  4.6 DOHC, 4R70 Auto, Heidt's M2 frontend

8/23/2013 8:50 AM  #25

That is a really cool control console you have there. I haven't seen anything that nice on the Mech Mate forum. Have you posted pictures there?

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.