FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2021 6:43 PM  #1

Question about Auto Trans Oil temp...

Drove the Heap for sixty miles at speed (70 ish) today.  Never had an oil temp gauge on the old AOD but the 4R70W has an Transmission Oil Temp (TOT) point that can be logged on a laptop.  So since I'm still in shakedown mode with this new stuff I was keeping an eye on some points.  Trans temp ran between 192 and 202.  The higher read was coming home which is a slight incline from around 4500 to 6000 feet over about 20 miles.  Not much but it's noticeable.
So what's the worry point with trans oil?

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/19/2021 6:57 PM  #2

Re: Question about Auto Trans Oil temp...

I recall somewhere between 175 and 220. Over 220 varnish forms and seals harden.

Last edited by 50vert (4/19/2021 7:00 PM)

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

4/19/2021 7:31 PM  #3

That’s my thought as well, same temp as the engine. Have you compared the engine and trans temps at the same point in time?

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

4/19/2021 8:25 PM  #4

I had an engine oil and trans fluid temp gauge for both the FMX and AOD. With the fmx, the coolant, motor oil and tranny fluid all ran at about the same temp. With the AOD I installed a cooler that lowered the trans fluid by 25-30 degrees.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

4/19/2021 8:28 PM  #5

Rudi wrote:

That’s my thought as well, same temp as the engine. Have you compared the engine and trans temps at the same point in time?

As a matter of fact, the two reads are right next to each other on my laptop, Rudi.  With the engine at 194 the trans was at 192.  Coming home the engine ran 196 and the trans was at 198 - 202.  I do not have an add-on trans cooler...just the little POS in the lower tank of the radiator.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

4/19/2021 8:31 PM  #6

Bearing Bob wrote:

I had an engine oil and trans fluid temp gauge for both the FMX and AOD. With the fmx, the coolant, motor oil and tranny fluid all ran at about the same temp. With the AOD I installed a cooler that lowered the trans fluid by 25-30 degrees.

Good info Brother Bob.  I may give some thought to installing one BTB.  Butt (TS&T) it IS getting a bit crowded in there.

4/20/2021 5:57 AM  #7

When the trans cooler is in the radiator tank it shouldn't surprise anyone that the trans fluid temp and the coolant temp are the same.  I wouldn't worry about 190-200 degree trans temp.  Oil needs to be at a certain temp to do its job properly.  That temp is about 160-210 degrees.  Below that it doesn't flow right, and above that it gets thin and can burn. 

A dedicated trans cooler is never a bad idea.  Especially if you run on the highway a lot where trans fluid temp can cause the coolant temp to increase. 

4/20/2021 6:26 AM  #8

Thanks for all the good info guys, as usual for this group.  The Heap is running fine and the new trans is nice.  I have a bit over 200 miles on it and plan to have well over 1K before the Bash trip.  I wish everyone could be there but I do understand that's not possible but we are really lookin' forward to seeing those who can.

Barry:  I WILL be sending that hat...soon as I get off my duff and find a proper box.  LOL

BB1

4/20/2021 11:08 AM  #9

Bob, does the 4r70w have direct in/out in overdrive the same as the AOD?

4/20/2021 12:25 PM  #10

Rudi wrote:

Bob, does the 4r70w have direct in/out in overdrive the same as the AOD?

No Rudi.  The 4R70W has a torque converter with a lockup clutch like all...or certainly most...modern transmissions.  That's one of the advantages over the AOD, it does not have the double input shaft and it isn't partially locked in third gear.  The 4R will lock in 2nd, third, and 4th and will unlock on throttle application to provide torque multiplication under load without having to shift down a gear. 
However, the AOD works fine for normal driving and highway work.  It is not as easy to dial in shift points and it isn't as strong as the newer box.  Also, the AOD has the same gear ratios as the C4 which make it rob more hp getting going.  For the kind of driving I do the 4R provides better skooby around town and nice, smooth shifting under lite foot.  But, it can be easily tuned as to shift points, downshift points, shift firmness under varying conditions.
I really don't need the advantages of the 4R but it is considerably nicer to drive.  If I weren't already running a computer for the EFI I'm sure I would have stayed with the AOD. 
Problem with the 4R is that you have to have a "controller" to run it.  Bauman sells a nice stand-alone controller but it's $600 +.  Since I've been running Ford EEC-IV injection for fifteen years it was fairly easy to add a few more wires to the main harness and change to the 94-95 Mustang GT computer,  These are the only EEC-IV PCMs Ford set up for transmission control and the only cars that got them were the 5.0 Mustangs with auto-box.  All other Fords got EEC-V with the Modular engines.
To make it all truely happy the PCM requires a little tuning...which requires some added equipment and smarts that I have only scratched the surface of learning.  Fortunately there are folks out in the world who are able, and willing, to help us dummies. 
It appears that the '94 GT PCM is going to work out just fine but if it doesn't make me happy for some reason I will not hesitate to swap back to the AOD. 
Sorry for the windy reply, Rudi.

4/20/2021 1:22 PM  #11

Thanks Bob, it is all good information to have. I agree the 4r70w is a more modern version of the AOD and its shift points can be set easily.  Bauman has a shift kit for  the AOD but will increase the 2-3 shift by 18% which for my use is too high for my rear gearing, it also takes the 3-4 higher as well but not as much. My AOD was built with all of Bauman’s recommendations on his web site, I see they no longer support that model other than their shift kit.
The issue I have with the AOD is the dreaded 1-2-1 shift to hold 3 gear for as long as you want before going into OD. There are a couple of valve bodies that cure the that issue but for 600 usd I will live withe the status quo.
I like that the AOD locks out the torque converter in OD,  that alone should reduce tranny temps on the freeway.

4/20/2021 1:50 PM  #12

When my Buddy and I took our Transmission down to Milwaukee to get rebuilt he wouldn't warranty them unless there was a Transmission cooler on the trucks.  They were going in 3/4 ton trucks and My son's had a cooler on his.  He said heat is the #1 killer of automatic transmissions.  

4/20/2021 2:02 PM  #13

I forgot to add that I am using an external transmission cooler as well as the one in the bottom tank of the 24” Champion rad.
The fluid in the transmission still has the colour as it had in the beginning, I don’t have a TI on it.

4/20/2021 2:23 PM  #14

Rudi wrote:

I forgot to add that I am using an external transmission cooler as well as the one in the bottom tank of the 24” Champion rad.
The fluid in the transmission still has the colour as it had in the beginning, I don’t have a TI on it.

I've seen a lot of recommendations to do this as sometimes people go overboard and run too large of a cooler. By running the radiator cooler after the aftermarket cooler you can actually add a bit of heat back in to the fluid.

4/20/2021 2:40 PM  #15

Rudi wrote:

Thanks Bob, it is all good information to have. I agree the 4r70w is a more modern version of the AOD and its shift points can be set easily. Bauman has a shift kit for the AOD but will increase the 2-3 shift by 18% which for my use is too high for my rear gearing, it also takes the 3-4 higher as well but not as much. My AOD was built with all of Bauman’s recommendations on his web site, I see they no longer support that model other than their shift kit.
The issue I have with the AOD is the dreaded 1-2-1 shift to hold 3 gear for as long as you want before going into OD. There are a couple of valve bodies that cure the that issue but for 600 usd I will live withe the status quo.
I like that the AOD locks out the torque converter in OD, that alone should reduce tranny temps on the freeway.

The AOD Shuffle Shift on mine is to control the 1-2-3 shift.  My AOD had three detents.  The first (forward on the shifter) makes it go through all four gears (I used the C4 green dot for that.  The middle detent will make it shift as a C4...1, 2, 3.  As long as I leave it in the center detent  it will never to into OD.  One nudge forward and it goes into OD.  The shuffle comes if I pull it into the third detent.  At below about 12-15 mph that puts it in 1st.  Above that speed a nudge into the center detent makes it go to 2nd and if it's immediately pulled back to the third detent it will hold in 2nd. Then a nudge forward again makes it go to 3rd and another push forward makes it go to 4th (OD).  I know that Terry's AOD is the same as mine as I've been his car when he showed me how it would bark the tires on the 1-2 shift.

4/20/2021 3:24 PM  #16

Raymond_B wrote:

Rudi wrote:

I've seen a lot of recommendations to do this as sometimes people go overboard and run too large of a cooler. By running the radiator cooler after the aftermarket cooler you can actually add a bit of heat back in to the fluid.

The correct way is radiator cooler first then the external cooler second before it returns to transmission.
Regardless of transmission model or make.

My original C4 was removed in 2008 and was still working.
I had adjusted bands and changed fluids and sealed the leaking shifter seal behind neutral safety switch.
I ran a small external cooler after radiator cooler for the desert like temperatures in the California San Joaquin Valley.

Live long and prosper 🖖🏼

4/20/2021 3:36 PM  #17

Yes, the external cooler should never be divorced from the radiator completely.  Just plumbed into the return line. 

Worth noting to always replace the external cooler if you have a trans grenade.  They get clogged with junk that can then ruin the new trans.  The lines can be flushed, but not the cooler. 

4/20/2021 5:12 PM  #18

Bob, how hard was the shift schedule to setup? Does your data speedo match your actual speed?
I'd much rather pickup the hat in person, but that's not gunna happen anytime soon.

"Those telephone poles were like a picket fence"

4/20/2021 8:05 PM  #19

50vert wrote:

Bob, how hard was the shift schedule to setup? Does your data speedo match your actual speed?
I'd much rather pickup the hat in person, but that's not gunna happen anytime soon.

My speedo is about two MPH faster than the OSS.  Following Decipha's instructions for setting up the shift schedule was pretty easy.  You just calculate a number based on tire dia. and rear gear ratio and come up with a number which divided into RPM in third gear equals speed.  The PCM then uses OSS and shifts per the shift points you enter for each shift vs Relative Throttle Position and RPM.
On light throttle it does 1-2 at 10mph, 2-3 at 20 ish, and 3-4 at 35.  Under hard throttle It would pull all the way to 5K, or higher, if I let it.  It does seem to "flair" a bit on harder throttle but I think a little tweaking will fix that if I'm worried about it.  I'm running it in the stock "Dynamic TV Pressure" mode where the PCM calculates torque from MAF airmass.  This can be changed by changing a Scalar and loading TV pressure values in tables for Forward and Reverse.  I might try that mode just to see how it works but right now I'm pretty happy.
I do have had a problem with TC Lockup not holding in OD.  It locks and then looses the lock signal after about five seconds.  Third gear works as it should. Decipha asked me to post my Tune which I did last week and this morning he posted a revised Bin for me to try.  Car is at a friend's place getting new tail pipes  so I'll try the new Bin soon as I get it back....Let you know.

Last edited by Bullet Bob (4/20/2021 8:14 PM)

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.