FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2021 12:18 PM  #1

Impact wrench suggestions

Anybody got a good impact wrench suggestion?? I guess I need a corded one unless they make a reasonable one that is battery operated. my main use would be taking the blades off my Kubota Zero Turn and occasionally a vehicle wheel.
Harbor Freight has this one on sale 

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-amp-corded-12-in-heavy-duty-extreme-torque-impact-wrench-64120.html

also this is awesome feature to add to your tool bar on desktop or latop its called Honey as you are about to check out on a website you click on it and it applies all available coupons if the

https://www.joinhoney.com/ref/dkrh9jlre

are any available i have saved as much as 30 bucks sometimes on Harbor Frieght.  There is a Honey App on my buddies bu I aint tried it on phone.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/08/2021 12:38 PM)

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/08/2021 12:39 PM  #2

Re: Impact wrench suggestions

The two that I have are a Chicago Pneumatic 1/2" drive air driven, and a 20v battery Earthquake XT I got at Harbor Freight. The Earthquake is much stronger than the air driven one, but it is quite a bit more expensive. It is nice to not have to deal with an air hose or electrical cord while under the car.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

5/08/2021 1:17 PM  #3

I just happen to use that same HF impact today trying to take 3 blades off JD deck. It's big and clumsy and weak and that rocker switch made it worse. Glad it wasn't mine. A good air impact will get it done.

Last edited by red351 (5/08/2021 1:18 PM)

5/08/2021 1:53 PM  #4

DeWalt cordless 1/2 drive impact

Removed lug nuts with ease, as well as zero turn mower blade and electric clutch bolts...

5/08/2021 3:56 PM  #5

I have an old Craftsman one that works great, but I can't speak to the quality of Craftsman stuff nowadays.

5/08/2021 4:15 PM  #6

WELL SO FAR sounds like I may need the Battery operated one. the Harbor Freight has good reviews.

5/08/2021 4:16 PM  #7

TKOPerformance wrote:

I have an old Craftsman one that works great, but I can't speak to the quality of Craftsman stuff nowadays.

What is it powered by?

5/08/2021 4:56 PM  #8

I have two air powered, one is a “Power Fist” from the Princess Auto a Canadian version of HF, a 60 year old Craftsman that has seen better days and a recently acquired battery powered  Bosch brushless.
The Bosch is bout the only one I use anymore, it’s a real bear.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/08/2021 5:40 PM  #9

I have a 1/2 Milwaukee electric one that has good torque and works good. I wanted a battery one and bought a HF Earthquake. So far for home use it works good. Can't give a long term use.

Last edited by wsinsle (5/09/2021 7:26 AM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

5/08/2021 11:21 PM  #10

The new Craftsman power tool line is made by the same company that makes deWalt Porter Cable craftmade I believe and a few others. About the only two independent power tool companys that I cant think of that actually build their own motors are Bosch and Hittachi or Now Metabo

I own some Milwaukee 12v havent purchased any 18v I love my 12v 3 speed brushless impact. Im going to buy the new stubby 3/8" drive or 1/2 drive impact they claim it has 250ft torque.

My makita 18v busts off lug nuts my 18v dewalt non brushless wont touch the same lugs. Then again these impacts are 1/4" hex drive.

The new kobalt line isnt a bad set of tools Plus the price on batteries is a plus. They sell a 2.0 amp for like 20 bucks all the time thats like 69 dollars cheaper than dewalt. The 1/2 drive  kobalt  compact driver has some cool features it will torque a bolt to close to proper torque specs and stop. It also has a 3speed brushless transmission.

5/09/2021 6:06 AM  #11

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

What is it powered by?

Air.  The battery ones are interesting though.  I use an impact driver almost every day at work and compared to how we used to drive everything with a drill or screwgun there's no comparison.  3" screws, and even 5" Ledger Loks go in line magic.

5/09/2021 6:11 AM  #12

True74yamaha wrote:

The new Craftsman power tool line is made by the same company that makes deWalt Porter Cable craftmade I believe and a few others. About the only two independent power tool companys that I cant think of that actually build their own motors are Bosch and Hittachi or Now Metabo

I own some Milwaukee 12v havent purchased any 18v I love my 12v 3 speed brushless impact. Im going to buy the new stubby 3/8" drive or 1/2 drive impact they claim it has 250ft torque.

My makita 18v busts off lug nuts my 18v dewalt non brushless wont touch the same lugs. Then again these impacts are 1/4" hex drive.

The new kobalt line isnt a bad set of tools Plus the price on batteries is a plus. They sell a 2.0 amp for like 20 bucks all the time thats like 69 dollars cheaper than dewalt. The 1/2 drive kobalt compact driver has some cool features it will torque a bolt to close to proper torque specs and stop. It also has a 3speed brushless transmission.

All my battery powered stuff is Milwaukee, and it gets used hard every day.  Batteries are the sticking point for some though.  They are very expensive for the bigger ones.  The tools themselves have come down in price a lot.  In the past year I picked up a circular saw, a 4" grinder, and a pipe cutter.  I'd give one of their 1/2" impact guns a try.

5/09/2021 10:09 AM  #13

For work I use an 18v Milwaukee 1/2” impact...the smaller of the two 1/2” drives.
The line crew uses the larger one working in the bucket....sucker is HEAVY.
The one I use sometimes doesn’t have the guts to break loose higher torqued bolts.
Those fasteners can usually break loose with wrenches, then use impact.
It works great, especially for the assembly and disassembly in a day on a project.

More recently got an 18v Milwaukee hex bit impact for smaller fasteners and tighter locations.
It’s small, compact, and still has a lot of torque.  The version I have has different settings as well.

Batteries on both are interchangeable as well as different amp hour capacities.
The lithium ion batteries last quite a while too.

Some of the guys also have 12v Milwaukee tools and seem to like them as well.
Less weight and tighter spaces.  Don’t know if any are impacts though.

5/09/2021 11:05 AM  #14

I shy away a lot more these days from Milwaukee battery drills. There products are top notch, and I never really wore out there drills. The battery lifespan is short (a year or 2 only) and expensive to replace.  I have several that needed batteries but were no longer available. Then when I still had a good battery or 2, the charger quit.
A round home & garage anymore an extension cord that rarely wears out & a plugin. I'm good for years.

5/09/2021 11:56 AM  #15

red351 wrote:

I shy away a lot more these days from Milwaukee battery drills. There products are top notch, and I never really wore out there drills. The battery lifespan is short (a year or 2 only) and expensive to replace.  I have several that needed batteries but were no longer available. Then when I still had a good battery or 2, the charger quit.
A round home & garage anymore an extension cord that rarely wears out & a plugin. I'm good for years.

I agree that the batteries dont last and a corded one does good for a long time.

5/09/2021 12:08 PM  #16

I got a  'lec-terk one from Harbor Freight that I use butt.........
don't forget the old "Alabamer-special"!          Box-end ranch and a 5 pound 'persuader' to power it.
That'll bust'er loose and won't hurt 'cha pocketbook!
jus say'in
6sal6

Last edited by 6sally6 (5/09/2021 12:08 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/09/2021 12:34 PM  #17

I agree cost of batteries can be expensive.

The newer Milwaukee lithium ion (square batteries  now) last quite well.

During winter I place the batteries in cab of truck.
When the batteries are extremely cold or hot, the charging process is disabled.
Milwaukee has a large selection of products, including specialty tools for utility/industrial use.

The battery cases on Milwaukee tools don’t keep changing every couple of years.
This makes amount of batteries required mot such an issue.

The cheapest way is some kits come with 1 or 2 batteries and a charger and the tool.  If you purchase a couple of kits, 3-4 batteries in a typical day is usually more than enough.  While using the tool, the batteries will charge fully within an hour.  I noticed their lithium ions charge up pretty fast.

Another thing if you’re not aware of, you can just buy the tool without batteries as well.  In our construction project trailer, I purchased a 6 battery charger.  It only charges one battery at a time, but will automatically switch to next battery when fully charged. No monitoring required.

Their flashlight and light stand works great too.

BTW...this is non paid advertisement.😂

As for dead batteries on some of the damaged and older tools, Remy Battery in our area can rebuild battery packs.  Lithium ions too.

5/10/2021 4:37 AM  #18

red351 wrote:

The newer batteries are fine.  I have three that are 5-7 years old which have been used daily with no issues.  They had an issue some years back, but its been corrected. 

Also, there are palces that rebuild tool battery packs for much less than buying new ones.

Last edited by TKOPerformance (5/10/2021 4:42 AM)

5/10/2021 8:07 AM  #19

I had stopped by a battery depot or plus a number of yrs ago that we have around here. Costs is about the same and more as new. It was as cheap to buy a new drill kit. That's why I have few 14.5 volt Milwaukee and no bats. They claim it was labor intensive and labor isn't cheap.
For while I could use 18v bat. on the old tools. Could mod. the bat. to fit.  I guess Milwuakee caugh on to that and changed the whole design.

Last edited by red351 (5/10/2021 8:18 AM)

5/10/2021 11:16 AM  #20

Most any tool battery can be rebuilt with new cells as long as the case is not damaged.

OP-for air impact (really for air anything), Ingersoll-Rand is the king IMHO.  I have had mine 15+ years and it keeps going.  If I were to buy a battery one today, it would be a Milwaukee.

5/10/2021 4:15 PM  #21

5/11/2021 5:31 AM  #22

red351 wrote:

I had stopped by a battery depot or plus a number of yrs ago that we have around here. Costs is about the same and more as new. It was as cheap to buy a new drill kit. That's why I have few 14.5 volt Milwaukee and no bats. They claim it was labor intensive and labor isn't cheap.
For while I could use 18v bat. on the old tools. Could mod. the bat. to fit.  I guess Milwuakee caugh on to that and changed the whole design.

The 14.5V were kind of an oddball, so that might be the issue.  I went from 12V directly to 18V.  The 18V batteries are very expensive, especially if you get the Red Lithium ones that are long life. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.