FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2021 6:50 PM  #1

How does it affect my claim

How does it affect my claim if the Semi that hit me has same insurance company.... on Wreck report we both have Progressive Mountain insurance.

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/17/2021 7:23 PM  #2

Re: How does it affect my claim

Your plan isn’t going to work hard to make sure your whole.  You might want to look for a attorney.

5/17/2021 9:35 PM  #3

Steve69 wrote:

Your plan isn’t going to work hard to make sure your whole. You might want to look for a attorney.

I have one for medical ....looking for one for car now.

5/18/2021 5:24 AM  #4

Yeah, its unfortunate, but an attorney will show them that you are serious and that its in their best interest to just settle and give you what you want.  Be sure to play up the mental distress angle as well.  Its not like you lost a car that can be easily replaced.  You had a car for which there is no direct replacement.

5/19/2021 7:41 AM  #5

I have never been a big fan of insurance companies. You need to have them, some times ,they come thru good, some times they try to not pay on the claim. Many years ago I got into an accident, same insurance
company both cars (I didn't have insurance on my car, just the other guy's, the other car was insured the
same way). The insurance company said we were both at fault ,being that we didn't have collision on are
own cars ,the insurance company paid both of us nothing. Pretty covenant for them.
Your case seems different ,I hope every thing works out in your favor (REALLY GOOD! $)  This is some
thing that's no fun to have to go thru. BEST WISH'S mustang stu

5/19/2021 6:31 PM  #6

Yeah, when the insurance company figures out your car was not important enough to you for you to bother insuring it with collision coverage, you are going to get lowballed for sure.  There is nothing in it for a lawyer on a damage claim like there is on injury claims.  So, you have to bank on the injury claim being sufficient to cover both.
Sometimes the injury attorney will write a letter that helps get things rolling with the property claim.
Be sure to get a rental car at their expense.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/20/2021 2:55 PM  #7

Man this is why I went with Hagerty.  When you're dealing w/ a classic, even a modded ride, you are best to go with an agreed upon price policy.  The bigger insurance companies are going to use comparable that might not be what you think.

5/20/2021 6:07 PM  #8

Don't be surprised if the initial offer is scrap value and a 10% off coupon on a new policy.   You are definitely in an uphill fight if both parties have same company.   That is code for " how do we get out of this as cheap as possible?"

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

5/20/2021 11:21 PM  #9

I found  my policy for when I had  the 20,000 Hagerty policy in 2009 well I emailed them saying i was considering using them again and they found the policy I had to look at.

5/20/2021 11:36 PM  #10

Definitely agreed value insurance policy is the way to go...
In the mean time, I would find every receipt I could for money spent on the car, as well as restoration photos. They may want to know your reason for not having classic car insurance?

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/21/2021 5:25 AM  #11

The bigger companies can do a proper job, but its not their specialty, so if your agent isn't versed in this specialty type of insurance you are better off going with a dedicated company.  Mine is insured through State Farm, but its stated value, and my agent insisted I get an appraisal.  I've been with my agent for 15 years now, and we have a solid relationship.  In that time I've had one homeowners claim and one vehicle claim and both were handled perfectly and I was more than fairly compensated.  In this age of buy everything online its a mistake to do that with insurance IMO.

5/21/2021 11:01 AM  #12

I agree with every one...the car use to just sit in Garage and had that insurance on it....But I went thru a divorce and bankruptcy and a few jobs....it became the only thing I had at one time. I have used it as a daily driver  more like a regular car. It is still the only car we have. I have a old 4x4 1994 chevy work truck with 300,000 miles and my wife has a 2004 suburban.   EXWIFE AND BANKRUPTCY WAS BRUTAL.....Thank God for this forum for keeping this car with me...I almost lost it if they had not came together and bought it back for me back when the Bankruptcy was taking it.....thinking that was one of the reasons we ditched that 20,000 policy back then.

Last edited by BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA (5/21/2021 11:03 AM)

5/23/2021 11:02 PM  #13

Billy,  Start gathering up For Sale ads to argue your vehicles value.  If they give you a low ball offer like $11k show them the ads you find and argue the value it’s actually worth.  More than likely you will need to deal with a supervisor or even Manager.  These little property damage adjusters are usually young and just out of college.  If they don’t give you what you feel your car is worth, you will need to ask for it to go to an appraisal.  That will involve a more detailed review and more accurate comps of your cars value. The catch with doing a formal appraisal is, if it comes in lower than their original offer then your stuck with it.  I believe given the type of car, there’s no way it can be lower than orig. offer.  If they give you hell, get an atty. to handle the PD as well.  See if he can fight for the value of your car.  Remember, if the other party is at fault, then his PD limits should apply in this case.  It’s not a matter of how much coverage you had on your car, it’s a matter of the other guy totaling your car. And that guy should have PD limits closer to the true value of your car, not just $11k offer they’re going to through at you.

5/23/2021 11:25 PM  #14

I agree this car was rotisserie restored not just painted in the back yard. 

5/24/2021 6:18 AM  #15

If it comes to it, don't forget that anyone who witnessed the restoration in progress or the finished product can provide a sworn statement as evidence.  This could help if they try to lowball you with comps that aren't really comps due to lower quality workmanship. 

Where damage limits get sticky is it could be your policy or his depending on what coverages get invoked.  Now, it was a semi, so he should have commercial insurance that has very high limits (like in the millions), but a lot of what is required for those policies is state by state, so that's worth checking into.  If his limits were to be exhausted then it would invoke your uninsured motorist coverage for the balance.  If that still wasn't enough you can sue personally, and you should have at least 2 years during which to file suite. 

5/24/2021 9:52 AM  #16

It's not a bad thing to discuss scenarios and have a plan, but Billy needs to wait and see what is offered.

TKO said:
"If that still wasn't enough you can sue personally, and you should have at least 2 years during which to file suite."

Just some info, every  insured gives their carrier the right to subrogation. Sometimes when your insured has failed to collect monies owed, they will grant you subrogation rights. You can then file suit.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.