FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2021 7:09 AM  #1

Anybody use Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts?

Still dealing with the vibration( 67 coupe 351w,T-5), I shimmed the rear axle about 3 1/2 degrees up.. The vibration is
less than it was, but it's still there. I know the trans is down more degrees than it should be. I'm looking at Ron
Morris mounts that will lower the engine 1/2". I looked at the way the fan fits inside the guard on the rad it's
centered ,but it's closer to the top than the bottom, it looks like I can go down a 1/2". The cross member may have to
be unbolted and shimmed down to clear the oil pan. I'm not sure if I will run into any other issues (clutch linkage)?
I'm thinking if I can lower the engine, that might let me raise the back of the trans to get the where it needs to be.
Currently using stock 69 brackets, and 69 motor mounts. I did talk to Ron Morris, he was very helpful he said
he's had cars set up right in spec (trans and rear end) and still had vibration. He said an aluminum drive shaft
cancelled the vibration. Just wondering my old driveshaft is heavier more weights on it ,(never had any vibration
issues with that one) is 1/16" longer than the new one. The yoke is on it is for the 4 speed toploader  I read if
you use this yoke on a T-5 it could cause problems with the T-5 tail shaft. Would I be able to swap drive shafts
for a test ride without doing damage to the T-5? If it worked out better I could put the new T-5 yoke on the old drive shaft. The only other thing I could do is cut out the transmission tunnel, which I really don't want to do. I'm
thinking some one has gone thru this before. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP SO FAR!  mustang stu
P.S. Not sure if I should try swapping driveshafts before or after lowering the engine?

Last edited by mustang stu (5/19/2021 7:14 AM)

5/19/2021 7:48 AM  #2

Re: Anybody use Ron Morris adjustable motor mounts?

I had a hwy speed vibration when I let off gas and coasting.  I was chasing the problems for years.  I have a 
302 with a 5 speed and my car is lowered.  Last year I figured out the problem.  It was the traction bars.  What happened when I welding in my traction bars my back end of car was jacked up really high with big tires on the back.  When changed the tires and lowered the suspension it caused my traction bars to be shorter. So it was pulling the axle up causing a bad angle.  When I pulled off the traction bars the vibration was gone. So this winter I redid my axle and brakes.  I added a heim joint to the front of the traction bar so I could adjusted it out longer.  So I could have the proper movement and load on the bars.  No vibration.  I had tried the wedges and the vibration never went away.  Steve69

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.