FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2021 6:13 PM  #1

FiTech problem

The other day I was out and about in the Old War Horse and could not start it to get home.  Couldn't hear the fuel pump pressuring up the system either.  Had to get it towed home.  

I have the FiTech Command Center to control things. 

The electric fuel pump gauge on it showed zero pressure when I turned it over.  So contacted FiTech and they asked me to see it there was power to the unit, and I could not get either of my multigauges to show any power.  And, yes I did check them both out.  One digital and one analogue.  

While doing that suddenly the fuel pump started clicking - for a couple of seconds.  The fuel pressure gauge showed the 40-50 psi it is supposed to.  I waited a couple of minutes for it to do it again.  Hit the starter button and the engine started - for the couple of seconds until the fuel pressure died again.  It works intermittently.

I've sent these new events to FiTech tech support and am awaiting their response - probably Monday.

Any suggestions?

FiTech also told me that there is an upgrade I need to make as mine is not the current configuration;  Remove the lid from the canister and take out the float.  Think carb float.  works the same way except it controls the return flow to the gas tank.  That way the fuel flows back to the tank continuously rather than intermittently. They say to put the canister into a vice and remove the lid with a very large set of Channel Lock pliers!  And..Oh..be careful not to deform the canister.  What! There are multitude of wires and hoses connected, and lots of gasoline in the canister and hoses.  Getting them off will be very messy.  And very time consuming.  Not something I am willing to undertake, so I called my mechanic and he can see me - in August!  His business is good.

Isn't life swell!

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

5/21/2021 7:32 PM  #2

Re: FiTech problem

I put on a Fitech system in 2016. It worked well for about 3 years and the the gremlins hit.  I to had problems with command center. My pump burned out.  Fitech sent me another pump. I did convert the float like you mentioned.  There’s some YouTube videos on how to do it.  Mine would randomly shut off when driving highway speeds Fitech techs weren’t much help. I got sick of adjusting the hand held all the time.  I was going to a car show and it was acting up and shut off at the intersection.  When I got home I took some pics. Boxed it up and sold it on EBay.  I bought a Summit racing carburetor and that works really well.  If I was going to do EFI again I would go with a Edelbrock Pro flo 4 and a in tank pump.    Steve69.

5/22/2021 5:42 AM  #3

I'm not going to be any help, but I've heard stories like this before with EFI conversions. I too was going to eventually convert to EFI, but ended up deciding to stay with a carburettor to keep things simple.

1964-1/2 D Code Coupe - 289 V8, 4 Speed Toploader, 3.00 ratio rear, Autolite 4100 Carb, 15" tires, Pertronix ignition

5/22/2021 6:29 AM  #4

This is exactly why when people talk about converting to EFI I suggest using an OEM based system.  Its more work on the installation, but you get a system that was OEM engineered and OEM tested for longevity and reliability.  There are 40 year old vehicles out there running EECIV systems that still work fine, and if there's an issue you have a factory troubleshooting manual with pinpoint tests and parts are commonly available.  The problem with the aftermarket is that its geared towards product, and the product evolves over time.  Once that happens support, parts, etc. for the older style systems starts to disappear. 

5/22/2021 7:51 AM  #5

Gimme a C, gimme an A, gimme an R, gimme a B . . . . ahh I think you get where I’m coming from!

The one and only time I can remember  a “dripping pot”  (thanks BB) ever letting me down was when I had a 4100 on my original 289  and somehow it got a stuck float coming down a very,  very steep back road hill.
While it was still on the engine I just unscrewed the carbs top cover and popped the float loose and I was on my way home.

Never could figure out why it stuck but it never happened again.
Some how my old brain can’t deal with being cluttered up with the complications of efi.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

5/23/2021 8:38 PM  #6

AMEN

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/24/2021 6:11 AM  #7

In fairness though, I've never had an EFI vehicle leave me stranded because of anything related to the EFI either. 

5/24/2021 10:48 AM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

This is exactly why when people talk about converting to EFI I suggest using an OEM based system.  Its more work on the installation, but you get a system that was OEM engineered and OEM tested for longevity and reliability.  There are 40 year old vehicles out there running EECIV systems that still work fine, and if there's an issue you have a factory troubleshooting manual with pinpoint tests and parts are commonly available.  The problem with the aftermarket is that its geared towards product, and the product evolves over time.  Once that happens support, parts, etc. for the older style systems starts to disappear. 

This.  I have done a number of EFI conversions using OEM computers and they are all still running, 4 of them almost 20 years now.  Parts available at any auto parts store (except maybe fuel pump).  Could be diagnosable in a dealership if necessary.  I have nothing against aftermarket systems, but unless you are heavily modified I see no reason to go that way.  I too have never had an EFI vehicle leave me stranded for an EFI related problem.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.