FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/18/2021 6:19 AM  #26

Re: 289 bearings and rings

I have a an old 289 block that was bored over .060 in my 66 coupe when I bought the car 15 years ago, I rebuilt 14 years ago, and its been running great since, I have over 65,000 on my little 298 now and don't have any issues with it. Its pretty boring (ha ha) being all stock but it gets me where I want to go with a smile on my face,

6/19/2021 2:06 AM  #27

going for a .040 over bore .I

If its worth doing do it right !

6/19/2021 8:57 PM  #28

I would go for a sonic test.

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

6/20/2021 4:24 AM  #29

Sonic test would be good, What I have found is good machine shops are getting scarce in my area, The guy I am currently using is a one man operation , He says its hard to find help .Not sure what will happen with our hobby in a few years.

6/21/2021 5:11 AM  #30

KM wrote:

Sonic test would be good, What I have found is good machine shops are getting scarce in my area, The guy I am currently using is a one man operation , He says its hard to find help .Not sure what will happen with our hobby in a few years.

They seem to come and go, because they are typically run by one master machinist.  When he dies or retires there's usually no one to take over the business.  No one's kids want to smell like honing oil when they can sit behind a desk and type on a keyboard all day.  I think there will always be good shops around, but they are scarcer than they used to be. 

7/08/2021 2:26 PM  #31

Update , Block came in ok after bore to .040 over Machine shop recleaned block replaced freeze plugs and cam bearings , Crank cam in good just polished it up .And all rockers were worn . Have the rings all file fitted. not in yet. Trying to keep as clean as possible. 

7/08/2021 2:32 PM  #32

Nothing like a fresh short block buildup to make you forget about all the troubles of the world!

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/08/2021 5:09 PM  #33

KM wrote:

Back in the day, on take off the Continental C85-8 in my home built seized up at about 500’ AGL.
Luckily I did a dead stick in an adjacent pasture. No damage except for my nerves and the horses in the field going bonkers.

Upon dismantling the engine I found that a bad oil pump was the culprit.
The cranks mains and throws needed to be ground to 10 under.
Back then there was a local shop that had full remachining equipment for auto engines. The older chap that ran the crank grinding machine never batted an eye lash when I took the  crank in to him and told him what I needed.
That shop and machinist are lamentably long gone. These days I’d be hard pressed to find a local shop that would tackle that kind of work.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/08/2021 8:39 PM  #34

Rudi wrote:

KM wrote:

Back in the day, on take off the Continental C85-8 in my home built seized up at about 500’ AGL.
Luckily I did a dead stick in an adjacent pasture. No damage except for my nerves and the horses in the field going bonkers.

Back then there was a local shop that had full remachining equipment for auto engines. The older chap that ran the crank grinding machine never batted an eye lash when I took the crank in to him and told him what I needed.
That shop and machinist are lamentably long gone. These days I’d be hard pressed to find a local shop that would tackle that kind of work.

Besides that, the shop would have to be certified to do work on an aircraft engine. There would definitely be airworthiness and product liability issues. Those were the days...... I remember that my project in A&P school was to assemble and get running an Continental A-65. Once I got it done and running, the instructor told two other students, "Okay, now tear it down and mic it out."

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

7/09/2021 7:51 AM  #35

Ron68 wrote:

Rudi wrote:

KM wrote:

Back then there was a local shop that had full remachining equipment for auto engines. The older chap that ran the crank grinding machine never batted an eye lash when I took the crank in to him and told him what I needed.

Besides that, the shop would have to be certified to do work on an aircraft engine. There would definitely be airworthiness and product liability issues. Those were the days...... I remember that my project in A&P school was to assemble and get running an Continental A-65. Once I got it done and running, the instructor told two other students, "Okay, now tear it down and mic it out."

My plane was an experimental that I  built and the rules in Canada are that I could do any work on it without going through the red tape involved with certified aircraft.
I think the same rules are in effect today in Canada and most of the world for homebuilts,  one of the reasons for the popularity of home builts,  notably Richard Vangrunsons RV series.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/09/2021 5:12 PM  #36

Yep, my uncle built an ultralight while I was in college that was the same deal.  Flew it right out of our field. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.