FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/28/2021 7:51 PM  #1

Road trip to possibly buy a 67 tomorrow

I will be driving two hours away tomorrow morning to check out a 67 coupe for sale.  It is a vinyl top deluxe coupe with the stainless interior panels, with upper and lower consoles. Original paint (think coupedaddy blue) and interior. Rebuilt A code with rebuilt c-4.. working factory ac, power steering, styled steel wheels. Supposed zero rust, always parked inside. Pictures look good, but I know how forgiving pics are.  Everything is maintained as original, so it is ripe for the cutting. Even still has original steering wheel and carburetor.

Any 67-68 owners have advice on what to look for?  I am well versed in how to spot rust under vinyl tops, etc.  I have never owned a 67.  The seller wants what I consider to be premium money, so my inspection will need to be thorough.

I will post tomorrow how this plays out.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

5/28/2021 8:25 PM  #2

Re: Road trip to possibly buy a 67 tomorrow

sounds fun....I am starting to like the 67-68

Its really me....I fixed my caps lock .

5/28/2021 9:27 PM  #3

MS wrote:

I will be driving two hours away tomorrow morning to check out a 67 coupe for sale.  It is a vinyl top deluxe coupe with the stainless interior panels, with upper and lower consoles. Original paint (think coupedaddy blue) and interior. Rebuilt A code with rebuilt c-4.. working factory ac, power steering, styled steel wheels. Supposed zero rust, always parked inside. Pictures look good, but I know how forgiving pics are.  Everything is maintained as original, so it is ripe for the cutting. Even still has original steering wheel and carburetor.

Any 67-68 owners have advice on what to look for?  I am well versed in how to spot rust under vinyl tops, etc.  I have never owned a 67.  The seller wants what I consider to be premium money, so my inspection will need to be thorough.

I will post tomorrow how this plays out.

They have the same suspect areas as 65-66: front lower door corners; qtr panel lower corners. Check out the condition of torque boxes.

5/29/2021 5:39 AM  #4

check under dash for cowl vent rust.  this is the most difficult area to fix

5/29/2021 6:49 AM  #5

Check the frame where the steering box mounts.  Cowl vent rust is hard to spot, particularly on an AC car.  Otherwise its the same as an earlier car. 

5/29/2021 7:25 AM  #6

Our 67 had some good rot on the bottoms of front and rear glass. The trim covered it up enough to hide it.

5/29/2021 2:21 PM  #7

Well, this is a real nice car.  81,000 miles and everything was like new.  Zero play in the door hinges. Engine was perfectly quiet and smooth, trans shifted well.  Original San Antonio car. Zero rust. I mean ZERO.
Has that stainless steel insert trim on the interior. Upper and lower consoles. Factory AC that worked flawless. The car steered and drove like a new car.  Probably the best Mustang I have ever seen for sale.

Why do I not own it yet?

It was NOT original paint as advertised.  It also had a nicely adjusted Holley, not the original 4100 as advertised.   He wanted $25k. I offered $15k.  He would not go under $20k, so I walked.

If I NEEDED another Mustang, I think this car is s great deal at $20.  But I am waiting for the right one to come along. 

So, if anyone is in need of a very nice car, this one may still be available.

Last edited by MS (5/29/2021 2:22 PM)

5/29/2021 2:59 PM  #8

Bummer...

5/29/2021 5:41 PM  #9

He'll call you back.........
All part of the game
18 will get it..............
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

5/29/2021 5:52 PM  #10

Well,  Bonnie and I have agreed that the herd needs to be cut down some, and we was always open about what is, or not. The quality of work and time (my opinion) put into them both,  doesn't count today. There still is money going too be lost in both and not counting the labor  Flipping has become more of a hobby to some than the true nature yrs back.  It's just the way it is, after 27 yrs.

5/29/2021 7:59 PM  #11

red351 wrote:

Well,  Bonnie and I have agreed that the herd needs to be cut down some, and we was always open about what is, or not. The quality of work and time (my opinion) put into them both,  doesn't count today. There still is money going too be lost in both and not counting the labor  Flipping has become more of a hobby to some than the true nature yrs back.  It's just the way it is, after 27 yrs.

Are you offering one of yours for sale?

5/30/2021 7:23 AM  #12

I doubt he'll call back.  If he's smart he'll advertise it nationally and someone will pay what he's asking or more on eBay, etc.  As the saying goes though, the right car at the wrong price is still the wrong car.  Kudos to you for not talking yourself into it. 

5/30/2021 8:13 AM  #13

MS wrote:

red351 wrote:

Are you offering one of yours for sale?

It's coming to that some day soon as it seem to be we are doing more traveling with the camper, and less with the cars. Travel with cars has become that were half afraid to leave them park without supervision. Things has happen like a dog & its careless owner and a 10' chain dragged some paint off the rear corner extension. The next trip out tractor trailer backed into the front of the red car. Then there are tires and door slams.  Just STIPID STUFF
 Next weekend is Ford Nationals in Carlisle so and were taking one up. (not for sale yet) but see if it's worth it to do so. We put a lot work in them over the yrs and it's going to be a hard decision. Some times people I don't even know have stopped in just because the cars were seen sitting outside a few days. That's where the flippers and the lowball numbers come in.

5/30/2021 8:20 AM  #14

Rich, wish I could make it to Carlise...did that once several years ago. Unfortunately, that weekend I'm committed to another event. Let us know how it was please...

5/30/2021 5:08 PM  #15

josh-kebob wrote:

Rich, wish I could make it to Carlise...did that once several years ago. Unfortunately, that weekend I'm committed to another event. Let us know how it was please...

Well if you guy's were to  ever do, you have a place to stay. Were only 9 mile away, so we will leave the light on for ya.

5/30/2021 5:50 PM  #16

MS wrote:

Well, this is a real nice car. 81,000 miles and everything was like new. Zero play in the door hinges. Engine was perfectly quiet and smooth, trans shifted well. Original San Antonio car. Zero rust. I mean ZERO.
Has that stainless steel insert trim on the interior. Upper and lower consoles. Factory AC that worked flawless. The car steered and drove like a new car. Probably the best Mustang I have ever seen for sale.

Why do I not own it yet?

It was NOT original paint as advertised. It also had a nicely adjusted Holley, not the original 4100 as advertised. He wanted $25k. I offered $15k. He would not go under $20k, so I walked.

If I NEEDED another Mustang, I think this car is s great deal at $20. But I am waiting for the right one to come along.

So, if anyone is in need of a very nice car, this one may still be available.

But...your signature says "Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out" 🤑

Life is too short to drive a boring car😎

5/30/2021 6:50 PM  #17

red351 wrote:

josh-kebob wrote:

Well if you guy's were to  ever do, you have a place to stay. Were only 9 mile away, so we will leave the light on for ya.

Thank you

5/30/2021 7:01 PM  #18

5/30/2021 7:35 PM  #19

while you are out, there is a 67 FB in big spring for sale, elect power steering, vintage air, headers, cut outs, 289, c4, power disc brakes, only mods to engine, has been a four barrel and a cast iron intake, no rust car. not mine but I can hook you up with the owner. asking 36,500.

5/31/2021 8:11 PM  #20

I want a coupe

6/02/2021 9:21 AM  #21

The used car and classic car market is hot.  He might just get the $20k he's looking for. 

6/02/2021 12:03 PM  #22

Oh, he'll get it.  There's a '68 fastback on Craigslist near me now that is a roller basket case and he wants $22,500 for it.  It looks like all the metal work is done and was done right, so basically you are getting a rolling shell and boxes of parts.  I doubt he'll get that for it, but even if he gets $15,000 for it what's that make a nice looking running driving car worth, even if it is a coupe? 

I mean, sure everything's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but not necessarily what you are willing to pay for it.  The market right now has greater demand than supply, and that often leads to sales the sane among us consider absurd.  People see those and it drives up the asking prices as well as what a lot of buyers expect to pay.

6/02/2021 12:40 PM  #23

$22,500 for a 68 FB with the metal work done isn't really a bad deal. Maybe a touch high, but $20k would be more than fair, especially when you consider what a Dynacorn body without a title will cost you, and they still need metal work.

And do you remember that rusted out 67 S code FB that I posted a while ago?  I passed on that rusted out POS at $15k. Someone bought it the next day.

This coupe might be a option car for BILLY WALTON.

6/04/2021 10:43 AM  #24

Here is a really nice 69 for under 20K if you want a road trip. 40,253 original miles.

Located in Keyser WV on Facebook

Marketplace - 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D | Facebook

Last edited by wsinsle (6/04/2021 12:53 PM)

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

6/05/2021 10:32 AM  #25

wsinsle wrote:

Here is a really nice 69 for under 20K if you want a road trip. 40,253 original miles.

Located in Keyser WV on Facebook

Marketplace - 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe 2D | Facebook

You lost me at SIX CYLINDER

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.