FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2013 11:08 AM  #1

Rear Seat Divider DXF File (Template)

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 HO, T5z

I'm looking for the dxf file (autocad file) for the rear back seat divider for a 64-66 mustang coupe.

You can buy these made out of metal, but I have access to a plasma cutter and was just going to make one myself.

thanks.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/images/SDMP/C5ZZ-6545728.gif

8/19/2013 11:22 AM  #2

Re: Rear Seat Divider DXF File (Template)

Well the one you have pictured is for the cardboard divieder. I assume you tring to make one of these metal firewalls?http://johnsmustang.com/Steel-Rear-Seat-Trunk-Divider-Cpe-65-68-Mustang      Couldn't you just make your own cardboard template? Forgive my ignorance of how these fancy computorized plasma cutters work

Last edited by Derek (8/19/2013 11:23 AM)

It's hard to type "funny"

8/19/2013 11:53 AM  #3

I want to make one out of metal.  You can buy them out of metal but it's cheaper for me to make one.  The card board ones are cheap.  I need a dxf file so I can use the plasma cutter.

8/19/2013 12:07 PM  #4

I guess what I was trying to say was, couldn't you make your own cardboard template and somehow scan it into the computer?

8/19/2013 12:31 PM  #5

Derek wrote:

I guess what I was trying to say was, couldn't you make your own cardboard template and somehow scan it into the computer?

That's far easier said than done.  You don't scan something this size.  I could manually create the template but that's a lot of tedious time.  Lots of people have ordered these made.  Somebody has to have a dxf file stored somewhere.

8/19/2013 3:45 PM  #6

More than likely the people who invested a lot of tedious time to draw the DXF files to produce a part for sale are reluctant to give away their hard work.

8/20/2013 10:11 AM  #7

darren wrote:

More than likely the people who invested a lot of tedious time to draw the DXF files to produce a part for sale are reluctant to give away their hard work.

It's just a copy of a computer file, not some secret formula.  There is such a thing as open source and sharing.  Check out all the free cad sites.  There are 100s of them.  This particular items is simply rather niche.  Half the internet is people sharing stuff for nothing.

Last edited by TremendousWand (8/20/2013 10:13 AM)

8/20/2013 11:41 AM  #8

Oh, OK. I didn't realize it was just a computer file. If you draw it or find a copy of one please post it here so we can all benefit.

8/20/2013 12:18 PM  #9

We could ah had one made buy hand and installed buy now

8/20/2013 3:00 PM  #10

This is one of those things that someone has on a hard drive somewhere long forgotten.  I'll probably come across somebody with a file just as soon as I finish doing it myself.

8/20/2013 4:28 PM  #11

Kind of redneck, but I had a dryer that quit, so I took the panels off of it and cut them to fit the back seat. Screwed them on with a little roof tar in between them. Figured that would keep out any gas and stiffen the back end. Nice white looking panel from the trunk area. Cheap too.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/21/2013 1:31 PM  #12

Alan wrote:

Kind of redneck, but I had a dryer that quit, so I took the panels off of it and cut them to fit the back seat. Screwed them on with a little roof tar in between them. Figured that would keep out any gas and stiffen the back end. Nice white looking panel from the trunk area. Cheap too.

wow...I feel like I would enjoy spending a saturday at your house.

8/21/2013 2:06 PM  #13

Alan, Simply Put you are my hero.

I made enough money to buy Miami, but pissed it away so fast

8/21/2013 4:08 PM  #14

Beer is in the fridge, whiskey on the shelf, air conditioned, heated 30 x 45 shop. Any time you're in NE kansas, give me a shout.

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/22/2013 7:38 AM  #15

Alan wrote:

Beer is in the fridge, whiskey on the shelf, air conditioned, heated 30 x 45 shop. Any time you're in NE kansas, give me a shout.

I bought my 66 from a dealer in Kansas.  One of these summers I'm going to make a long road trip to see this great country of ours.  Now that I think of it, that sounds like the premise of a TV show I might watch.... just go from state to state visiting people's private classic cars. 

You get a chance post some pics.

8/22/2013 3:40 PM  #16

About that free .dxf file...

As someone who designs and produces Mustang parts, if someone were to come to me and ask me for the design file so they could build their own rather than buying the ones I produce, what do you think my answer would be?

SOMEBODY had to take the time to crawl in the trunk and piece together a bunch of pieces of posterboard to be sure it fit, then transferred the patchwork template to measurements, and then to a CAD file in order to cut out the panel.

For anyone to ask to receive that file for free is very insulting, to put it mildly.  Those of us in the business to earn money from our hard work to develop items fully intend to make a continuing profit from those items as long as we can.

I put my door hinge drawings on my web site as a courtesy to other Mustangers.  It is shared for free, even though I still sell a whole lot of hinge rebuild kits per my design.  Mainly because I put it on there long before I started my business officially selling them, but once it was out there, it became public.

When a seller produces a part for sale, they are not necessarily charging you for the actual $5 worth of steel you are getting, they are charging you for all the years learning how to design and the time it took to design it and build multiple prototypes, as well as the cost to inventory the items.  They are charging you because THEY took the time to do it, and you don't WANT to take the time to do it.

I would say, if you want one of those panels, take the time to make the template, mark it on a piece of steel, get out the sabre saw and get after it.  Or just go buy one.  If you make it yourself, you will realize what a great bargain a ready made piece really is.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2013 3:56 PM  #17

Amen brother...

8/23/2013 8:33 AM  #18

I agree with you 100% Steve!

8/23/2013 10:19 AM  #19

MustangSteve wrote:

About that free .dxf file...

As someone who designs and produces Mustang parts, if someone were to come to me and ask me for the design file so they could build their own rather than buying the ones I produce, what do you think my answer would be?

SOMEBODY had to take the time to crawl in the trunk and piece together a bunch of pieces of posterboard to be sure it fit, then transferred the patchwork template to measurements, and then to a CAD file in order to cut out the panel.

For anyone to ask to receive that file for free is very insulting, to put it mildly.  Those of us in the business to earn money from our hard work to develop items fully intend to make a continuing profit from those items as long as we can.

I put my door hinge drawings on my web site as a courtesy to other Mustangers.  It is shared for free, even though I still sell a whole lot of hinge rebuild kits per my design.  Mainly because I put it on there long before I started my business officially selling them, but once it was out there, it became public.

When a seller produces a part for sale, they are not necessarily charging you for the actual $5 worth of steel you are getting, they are charging you for all the years learning how to design and the time it took to design it and build multiple prototypes, as well as the cost to inventory the items.  They are charging you because THEY took the time to do it, and you don't WANT to take the time to do it.

I would say, if you want one of those panels, take the time to make the template, mark it on a piece of steel, get out the sabre saw and get after it.  Or just go buy one.  If you make it yourself, you will realize what a great bargain a ready made piece really is.

I think you're looking at it from a different perspective.  First off, I didn't ask for a seller to give me the file.  If you're in the business of fixing or restoring cars, virutally every bit of info exchanged on this forum cost you money.  This is an open forum.  I'm sure if I go through the archives I'll find tons of technical docs, diagrams, and templates freely shared.  I don't recall seeing anyone being insulted (or charged).

Second, Go look at the following sites just to name a few:

grabcad.com
arcat.com
3dcontentcentral.com

and there are like 50 others, this isn't pirating or stealing.  I've used a couple of logos I've incorporated on my designs from these sites too.

It's not uncommon to for people to create a CAD file and put it up online.  Just like it's not uncommon for there to be 1 million apps in the app store in 75% are free.  And it's not uncommon for there to be free templates all over the internet on writing a will, creating a business plan, planning for retirement, build a car, hell even build a house.  Have you never heard of opensource software such as android or lenux.  Someone had to "put in work" for every piece of information on the internet.  If everyone shared your view then there would be no wikipedia, no youtube, no answers.com.  More over, this is a tech forum.  I would understand it if I went toFor Motor Company and said "give me the blue prints to the mustang", but I didn't. 

And further to drive home the point, I'm doing the install of a hydraulic clutch.  I'm taking pictures and documenting every step.  I could put this on a CD and sell it on ebay or I could just toss it on a forum so that others may benefit from my hard work.  Now you tell me: which is the jerk move? 

I really don't understand where your comment is coming from.  Obviously, I'm not looking for this so that I may make 50 of these and profit off of someone else's work.  And the fact that I'm on a MUSTANG TECH FORUM and not on a seller website I really don't see the problem.

Last edited by TremendousWand (8/23/2013 10:23 AM)

8/23/2013 10:54 AM  #20

go here: www.thompdale.com/blastshield.htm

if you can read, use a tape measure, straight edge, pencil and a pair of scissors (no running with scissors please).....you'll  easily have yourself a pattern .... then, fire up the plasma cutter.

8/23/2013 11:04 AM  #21

Heres the deal,
I drew the file for the big gear posted in another thread in about a half hour.
I'm sure I could draw a machine ready DXF of a rear seat divider in even less time.
Thats a huge part of what I do.
There are members here who I've spent WAY more time than that helping them with their problem because they asked in a manner that didn't put me off.
I'm sure it may have been unintentional, but the way you asked made it sound as if your time was too valuable to be spent on such a trivial task, if someone else had already done YOUR  work for YOU.
That attitude made me decide my time is too valuable to help you save your time.
I'm sure you will find it somewhere.
BTW, what does "TremendousWand" stand for anyway?

8/23/2013 12:24 PM  #22

darren wrote:

Heres the deal,
I drew the file for the big gear posted in another thread in about a half hour.
I'm sure I could draw a machine ready DXF of a rear seat divider in even less time.
Thats a huge part of what I do.
There are members here who I've spent WAY more time than that helping them with their problem because they asked in a manner that didn't put me off.
I'm sure it may have been unintentional, but the way you asked made it sound as if your time was too valuable to be spent on such a trivial task, if someone else had already done YOUR  work for YOU.
That attitude made me decide my time is too valuable to help you save your time.
I'm sure you will find it somewhere.
BTW, what does "TremendousWand" stand for anyway?

PLEASE show me where I asked someone to go out and make a template and make it into a dxf file?  Is that what I said?  Did I ask you to do that? This is no different then someone asking for a wiring diagram, or a bolt pattern, or spec.  If you have the info someone else is looking for you can pass it on or you can be a jerk about it and tell you to go buy the owners manual on amazon.

What's with this forum?  If someone ask a simple question: "does anyone have a dxf file". How exactly does that translate to "someone go create this template".   If you don't have it then why do you care?  Just ignore the question and move on.  It was simple request. 

And what do you keep on talking about YOUR work?  That's the whole point of a forum, SHARE INFORMATION, SHARE YOUR WORK.  I'll gladly share my work.  If you don't have anything to share, or don't feel like sharing then don't respond.  But don't waste my time and yours by responding w/ DO IT YOURSELF. 

Weren't you the one that said?

".... If you draw it or find a copy of one please post it here so we can all benefit."

Which I will.  You make is seem like I'm sitting at home sipping my iced tea ordering people around.  It's just a template file that I'm sure someone out there has on their computer.  If I don't find it, no loss.  Just thought I'd ask the question.  Doesn't make me lazy to ask.

8/23/2013 12:32 PM  #23

TremendousWand wrote:

1966 Mustang Coupe, 5.0 HO, T5z

I'm looking for the dxf file (autocad file) for the rear back seat divider for a 64-66 mustang coupe.

You can buy these made out of metal, but I have access to a plasma cutter and was just going to make one myself.

thanks.

http://www.mustangdepot.com/images/SDMP/C5ZZ-6545728.gif

It is obvious that you are not going to find what you want on this web site.
Perhaps you should inquire on another forum where this type of info is readily available so we can get on with other stuff!.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/23/2013 12:46 PM  #24

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
I'm done with this topic.
Lets get back to the friendly Mustang building.

8/23/2013 4:42 PM  #25

If someone designs an item (anything) and places the information/photos/step-by-step information/CAD drawings ect. on a forum or internet in general with permission for the public to use freely, then that is fine.

A larger problem becomes when someone buys a product from a producer and then posts proprietary information on forums or the general internet at large. Many people think that anything that is presented on the internet is public domain to use any way they see fit. This is false. It is piracy to post someone's information/drawings without the owner's/producer's express consent and can get a person into legal litigation.

If such a person exists that has a file like you are looking for, that they themselves created the
drawing (this doesn't mean they copied it from some other [original] source), and they are willing to share THEIR drawing with you, then that is perfectly fine and completely legal.

Any other instance of obtainging the information would be copyright infringement, illegal and subject to prosecution.

A person does not have to apply for a copyright of a document. The instant a person creates any such document, it is automatically copyrighted and protected against infringement by anyone else. The only time it is permissible for someone to use someone elses information is if the author of the information/drawing,etc, gives permission to do so.

http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/scope.html

I've had work/information stolen from my own private works, so I understand what Mustang Steve is trying to say. ...one such stolen work of mine is the RPM chart I have on my website (clearly marked at the bottom of every page with a "copyright") but, that didn't stop Metro Auto Parts Market of Georgia from stealing/plagiarizing my information --as they did not ask me for permission to use it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.