FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2021 6:01 PM  #1

Another reason to keep our cars

I was out and about today in 104 deg weather in my'15 GT.  I had to go to pick up my wine order (It is really good stuff).

Coming out of the wine shop I discovered a flat in one of my brand new tires.  Went to put on the spare and the lug wrench would not fit the lug nuts.  Fit the jack just fine.  I had to call a tow truck to come and change to the spare.  The tire shop looked at the lug nuts and showed me that Ford lug nuts have an aluminum cover over the steel lug.  With use the aluminum cover distorts and makes the normal lug wrench not fit.  They have seen that problem before with Ford lugs.  They looked for all steel ones on line, but could not find them.  There is a Dorman number, but no one makes them.

The tire had a rip in the sidewall, but I felt or heard nothing.  I have no idea what happened.  It should be fixed tomorrow and Ford is ordering new nuts for me(Monday).  They are cheaper than the parts store.

In 50 years of every day driving the '66 was never  held up for anything including flat tires.  The'15 has had 3.

I could go on and on about the dearth of spare tires in our new cars, but I won't.

Original owner - 351w,T-5, 4whl disks, power R&P

6/17/2021 6:12 PM  #2

Re: Another reason to keep our cars

Ford isn't alone on the crappy 2 piece lug nuts.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

6/17/2021 6:34 PM  #3

I know what you mean.
The ones on my Nautilus have stainless steel caps over the plated steel nuts, neither metric or inch six point sockets fit properly
. Using a 12 point that fits, boogers the stainless cap . . .  what the hell is Ford thinking?
I think I’ll order a set of tuner lug nuts, the kind that come supplied with those splined sockets.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

6/17/2021 6:48 PM  #4

So, if I am understanding this correctly, you went and wore you nuts out? 

6/17/2021 8:25 PM  #5

Chaplin wrote:

So, if I am understanding this correctly, you went and wore you nuts out?

Not sure.  You'll have to ask my wife about that!

6/17/2021 10:31 PM  #6

2 piece nuts is a poor design, especially when they get distorted.

Back in 90’s I used Gorilla security (splined) nuts.
All 20 were keyed the same.
They were well made and chrome plated.

Currently using splined tuner nuts and have had no problems.

6/18/2021 1:16 PM  #7

happened me too  with my european ford 2008 . this cap of thin steel was broke after few tire change . with lucky a metric socket will do the job . the measure was the one i never used because no one use that bolt size 

6/18/2021 4:15 PM  #8

I have had that same issue with bowties and Ram trucks as well as the Fords.  Those stainless steel covers are very problematic. At best, they get stuck in the socket.

I have found suitable solid steel, chrome plated replacements for them all, with best deals coming from ebay sellers.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

6/20/2021 7:07 PM  #9

What the crap, I carry a deep well socket, breaker bar, floor jack and the Allen wrench that fits cap on my 65 with Americans. probably will never need the spare. go figure.

Slammed Big Blue, ran over the varmints that messed with the Stang. Now all is good in the NW

6/20/2021 8:08 PM  #10

Cab4word67 wrote:

What the crap, I carry a deep well socket, breaker bar, floor jack and the Allen wrench that fits cap on my 65 with Americans. probably will never need the spare. go figure.

Yeah..I do that too with the hotrod.  With the GT new lugs are going in tomorrow.  Right now I have no socket, metric or SAE, that fit.  Somewhere around 22 or 23mm might work- I have neither;  none of the SAE's will fit. However, I'm going to look into some steel lugs after I get the thread specs.

6/20/2021 10:16 PM  #11

M14x1.5  according to RockAuto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,

2015,mustang,5.0l+v8,3307633,wheel,lug+nut,7676

Last edited by Nos681 (6/20/2021 10:17 PM)

6/21/2021 8:27 PM  #12

Remember, in some situations, two nuts are better than one.

6/23/2021 3:22 PM  #13

To complete the story---
My tire dealer got some oem nuts from Ford at ~$7.00 ea.  Lots of money, but I had no way at the time to do anything as I did not have the sockets to do all 4 wheels.  When I got the car home I bought a 22mm & 23mm socket. Tried them on the failed nuts along with a 7/8" SAE.  It took all three sockets to properly fit those oldies.

Since then I followed Nos681's advice and looked up rockauto.  They have several different styles of M14x1.5.  Some are out of stock with no estimated delivery time.  I think my tire guy looked one of those up.  The cheapest is around $3.00.  But it looks cheap, so I will get some better ones to see if they will work better.  In the mean time, the 21, 22, 23,& 7/8 will stay in my trunk along with a breaker bar.

6/24/2021 8:35 AM  #14

I don't even know what to say.

Mustang Steve Bash in Gruene, Texas September29-30, 2023

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.