FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/04/2021 9:10 AM  #1

Power steering pump

KM
“Maybe what we need is a weekly topic of discussion on something Mustang related or Ford , Say for example power steering pumps. What is available as far as swapping out the ford style, Horsepower losses etc. I am working on this problem now.”

What’s the problem?

Last edited by Nos681 (7/04/2021 9:10 AM)

7/04/2021 11:14 AM  #2

Re: Power steering pump

IMO the Saginaw style pump is very good.  If you run the Fox Mustang style front accessory drive there is a bracket that allows you to use the Saginaw pump sold by Wild Horses 4x4.  If you run v-belts there are brackets available.  This is the pump Borgesson uses with their systems. 

7/04/2021 11:44 AM  #3

current pump sequels on cold start and has small leak  

If its worth doing do it right !

7/04/2021 11:51 AM  #4

I'm changing out my ford PS pump very soon for a Saginaw style.
Plan to purchase the bracket from wild horses, probably one of their pumps as well.

Simply cannot stand the Ford pump.....moans like an old _____. (Fill in the blank).

7/04/2021 12:05 PM  #5

My pump made a growling noise ever since day one since I installed the original PS system. When I went to the Borgeson system I decided to keep the original pump if I could make it work. I bought a seal kit for it and put it in and it made a worse noise. I took the pump back off and took every thing apart with the idea I mind to put it back together using parts out of one of the other pumps that I had. When I compared the parts in the other pumps some of the vains were backwards. With the help of the Ford manual and those pumps it runs real quiet and works. Except when the idle is low. I have a smaller pulley I'm thinking of installing. That ought to fix it.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

7/04/2021 1:43 PM  #6

The pump currently in the 67 is the same pump that was there when I purchased her 41 years ago. I'm going out on a limb here, but I suspect it is the original pump installed by Ford in 1967 as the car only had 72K miles on it when got her. The pump still works.
I changed out the pulley for a smaller unit last year as I could not stop the belt from squealing after installing A/C. Why the A/C install had effect on the PS pump I do not know. The smaller pulley solved the problem and the PS still seems to work the same.
My truck, on the other hand, also has the original pump and goes through fluid like the stuff is free. Granted it runs the PS and PB, but I still have to replace the fluid every two years as the pump gets noisy with two year old fluid. Another Go Figure!

Gary Zilik - Pine Junction, Colorado - 67 Coupe, 289-4V, T5

7/05/2021 12:31 AM  #7

KM
On cold start..lose or worn belt?
They make reseal kits for early pumps too.

I like the original Thompson pump.
I picked up a 67? pump from a non-a/c car.
Tore it completely apart…FYI a bunch of springs and slippers in it…and resealed and installed in my repaired A/C housing (return tube loose).

I don’t recall it ever making noise unless at steering stops.

I would have used it, but it is too large for Foxbody bracket and bolt pattern clocking is reversed.

While troubleshooting my power steering this spring before the bash, when I found and repaired my leak source on high pressure hose banjo fitting…the whine almost disappeared.

It decreased significantly when I stopped the seepage…not leak.

If you have leaks and seepage on your discharge high pressure hose, it might be your source of noise.

It’s still noisy in my book.

At least the old pump just leaked and made noise when fluid levels were low.

Is there a newer Ford pump that is quite?

Last edited by Nos681 (7/05/2021 12:34 AM)

7/05/2021 12:37 AM  #8

7/05/2021 5:51 AM  #9

I only use type F in both cars and never any noise. Anything else, they will whine big time . Like Hudgin said, it is possible to put  things together backwards. I know that because I needed to take a second one apart to get the first one together the right way.

7/05/2021 6:29 AM  #10

Thanks for the input, Belts been swapped ,So sounds like an internal cold start noise ,when warm no so much.Am looking into the pump shown. 

If its worth doing do it right !

7/06/2021 6:15 PM  #11

I had enough of the whining from the PS pump on my 7.3 diesel. Even the Ford pumps are rebuilt, I put in a saginaw pump and never looked back. It's fully tunable as to the pressure you need.

1965 Notchback, 8.8 rear end, T-5, Diy Front Struts, Shelby Drop, Bumpsteer Kit

7/07/2021 4:53 AM  #12

Type F only in my system.

7/15/2021 10:41 AM  #13

Well LT Dan, I'm taking the plunge on this one. Time will tell if it turns out to be a quiet pump.
I also received a 10% discount on this purchase...saving a couple bucks is always nice.

I'll report back in the near future with the results.

Until then, carry on!

7/15/2021 3:31 PM  #14

Please do Josh.

I came across this and liked the idea of a stock looking setup…from Ford.

To have a better designed pump without the failures and noise.

I can hear a Ford pulling into a parking lot…so sad.

Can ya imagine if our oil pumps were like that?

It’s been several years now, I don’t recall the Thompson pump making noise like the newer model.

7/15/2021 3:53 PM  #15

Dan, order placed today. I'll let know the results. BTW, I spoke to them today and their customer service is excellent!

7/27/2021 3:23 PM  #16

Received my PS pump from Lee power steering today however, can't get it installed until middle of next week. My daughter's wedding this weekend kinda trumps mustang wrenching for a few days....more later..

7/27/2021 3:32 PM  #17

On my 2004 Jeep Liberty, I had a power steering groan on the frigged cold days when first starting the Jeep.  It would go away in a few minutes once fluids had a chance to warm up.  Research told me that it is a failing O-ring on the low pressure hose sucking air.  I still haven't replaced the o-rings yet since there isn't any noise right now.  But I will have to take care of this before winter.  Perhaps the same cause applies to our Ford PS pumps.  Perhaps you have a slight seal leak with this low pressure hose. Just guessing

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

7/28/2021 7:25 AM  #18

Rufus68 wrote:

On my 2004 Jeep Liberty, I had a power steering groan on the frigged cold days when first starting the Jeep.  It would go away in a few minutes once fluids had a chance to warm up.  Research told me that it is a failing O-ring on the low pressure hose sucking air.  I still haven't replaced the o-rings yet since there isn't any noise right now.  But I will have to take care of this before winter.  Perhaps the same cause applies to our Ford PS pumps.  Perhaps you have a slight seal leak with this low pressure hose. Just guessing

Something to consider....and I'll check but, it's all new and "good and tight"....

8/04/2021 8:08 AM  #19

PS pump update....

The FB is no longer a moaner!!
Installed the new Lee PS pump and dumped in their fluid. Burped the system removing all air and fired up the beast.....super quiet now!!

LT Dan....thanks for the recommendation and link to Lee Power Steering. Not only do they produce a superior product but, their customer service is outstanding too.

8/06/2021 8:17 PM  #20

I’m glad it’s working well without the noise.
Customer service is always a plus.

I’ll add it to my wish list.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.