FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2021 5:12 PM  #76

Re: What is the correct sparkplug?

BobE wrote:

HudginJ3 wrote:

Well changing the fuel pick up did nothing for it. In overdrive and fourth all is OK, shifting into third and flooring it at 65 mph it starts to go then runs out of gas. I held it floored till it got down to 40 mph, as soon as I let up off the throttle it took off. As long as I keep my foot out of it it runs fine, but not if I fly low.

Is there any portion of the existing fuel line where there is a rubber hose?  If so, it maybe it is collapsing under a heavy load? 
Does the carburetor have a filter, or screen, installed at the inlet to the carburetor … maybe it’s partially clogged?
Check the needle & seat, maybe it is too small to provide the fuel needed under high RPM?
Consider running a temporary fuel line from the tank forward to the fuel pump, this will at least tell you if the existing fuel is causing the problem.
Consider rigging up a small (like 1 gallon) fuel tank that you can place in the engine compartment so as to eliminate the entire fuel line and tank pickup.

OR.......jus change the mech. fuel  pump

6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/24/2021 10:13 AM  #77

My 427 runs fine on a 3/8" steel line from the tank.  And a Carter mechanical fuel pump.  Look at the fuel tank pickup, plus the rubber line from the pickup to the hard line.  And, your 70 has an additional rubber line plumbed in under the torque box.  I have seen old ones that could get sucked flat under load.

And fix that 65 degree advance thing.  That is way off.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/24/2021 8:36 PM  #78

MS wrote:

My 427 runs fine on a 3/8" steel line from the tank.  And a Carter mechanical fuel pump.  Look at the fuel tank pickup, plus the rubber line from the pickup to the hard line.  And, your 70 has an additional rubber line plumbed in under the torque box.  I have seen old ones that could get sucked flat under load.

And fix that 65 degree advance thing.  That is way off.

I replaced the fuel pump in May with another Carter. There was no change, I added a new filter at the inlet to the fuel pump using the hoses that came with it. When I changed steel fuel line with a new one I changed all the hoses and the one in the torque box. No change. There is no way, that I know of, to connect a filter directly to the carb. The fuel line connects to a banjo fitting that mounts straight down. I had to reroute the fuel line from the pump to other side of the carb and then bend it 90° up and connect a short hose to it. (I used a tubing bender)  I "T" ed the pressure gage in at that point. 

I made an attempt to change the advance and was successful to a point. The end result is I timed it from 6° BTDC to 12° BTDC and got the high timing down 30° BTDC. It's more than I wanted but it doesn't ping any more. I also got the dwell set closer. So I started to work on the carb thing. When I get that fixed I'll go back to the distributor issue.  

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

8/26/2021 12:58 PM  #79

HudginJ3 wrote:

I replaced the fuel pump in May with another Carter. There was no change, I added a new filter at the inlet to the fuel pump using the hoses that came with it. When I changed steel fuel line with a new one I changed all the hoses and the one in the torque box. No change. There is no way, that I know of, to connect a filter directly to the carb. The fuel line connects to a banjo fitting that mounts straight down. I had to reroute the fuel line from the pump to other side of the carb and then bend it 90° up and connect a short hose to it. (I used a tubing bender)  I "T" ed the pressure gage in at that point.  

I believe that a banjo fitting will swivel 360 degrees to allow the user to position it for a best fit for their application.  The filter/screen I was referring to would be between the banjo fitting and the carburetor fuel bowl.  I'm not sure if there is one installed on every Holley, but it is worth checking.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/05/2021 6:49 PM  #80

I removed the rubber fuel line between the carb and the steel fuel line. With the steel fuel line in the relaxed position there is about an 1/8 of an inch between the line and the banjo fitting. The rubber hose has no structure to it at all. There looks to be places where it was getting sucked in and possibly restricting the fuel. I replaced it with a spare hose that came with a new fuel filter. The new hose looks way better the the other new hose. So now it runs better and I'm back to working on the ignition. It seems to still run out of gas but at a higher RPM and at the same RPM that it cuts out. I was trying to figure out how the engine reacts to too much dwell and to little dwell.

70, ragtop 351W/416 stroker Edel Performer heads w pro flow 4, Comp roller 35-421-8. T5

9/06/2021 6:37 AM  #81

Did you try to loosen the banjo fitting and rotate it to get a better angle with the fuel line?

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

9/06/2021 9:52 AM  #82

BobE wrote:

Did you try to loosen the banjo fitting and rotate it to get a better angle with the fuel line?

My carb is an Edelbrock, the banjo is on the passenger side. I had to rerouted the fuel line to reach it so I ran it over the timing chain housing under the distributor next to the heater port under the choke and up to the banjo. I had to put in a little more bend in the line and move the banjo to butt up against each other. They are close enough that I have to remove the banjo to install the fuel line hose. Works good.

9/06/2021 5:30 PM  #83

So that STILL didn't fix it?!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

9/07/2021 6:57 PM  #84

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

I hate redoing work that I have recently done. But that hose proved that I need to take a look at the rest of the hoses again. They were all replaced before the bash. Because it is now running a little better Im going through the ignition system again because it has a definite miss. While I was looking for information on the Duraspark I came across your and Gaba's conversation in 2019. It's a pretty good read. Before the bash I had set the gap of the rotor and stator to .007 according to another article that I read. I checked the dwell at 36 and readjusted it wider and it is still at 36. I do not understand that. The vacuum advance also goes up to over 50 BTDC at 3000 rpm. The mechanical goes up to 35 BTDC and stops at 2500 rpm. 

9/08/2021 5:02 AM  #85

If everything in the ignition checks out the miss could be a valve out of adjustment.

9/08/2021 9:02 AM  #86

HudginJ3 wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6s6

While I was looking for information on the Duraspark I came across your and Gaba's conversation in 2019. It's a pretty good read..... The mechanical goes up to 35 BTDC and stops at 2500 rpm. 

Welp..........I've slept since then soooooooo... I don't remember  mine and Gaba's convo. (Looking back at Gaba's "issues" with his engine.....maybe not a good reference!)
Sounds like your total advance is (35*) is pretty good for stock-ish iron heads. Maybe a few degrees less for  aftermarket/more efficient heads.
If plugs/wires/distrib cap/ are all in good shape maybe look at the coil?!?
Do you have an MSD (or equivalent) in your system?
What about that troublesome little pink wire?!?
Battery good?!? (I told you of my experience with a weak battery causing a high RPM cut-out)
Excessive amount of ground wires?!? Seems we can never have toooo many ground wires

Try plugging your vacuum advance off and see how it performs!
(IF that solves the high RPM miss then......you can work backwards)
If all that doesn't help it HAS TO BE fuel related....right?
6sally6

9/09/2021 9:06 PM  #87

The ignition is a Duraspark system, no MSD. With the vacuum disconnected it is pretty sluggish leaving the stop light. I think I need to retard the vacuum advance can 

The valves have come loose twice during all this process. I cant hear it but the miss is a different type. Adjusting them helps.

9/10/2021 1:59 PM  #88

HudginJ3 wrote:

The valves have come loose twice during all this process.     Adjusting them helps.

IS the cam a roller or flat tappet?
6s6

9/10/2021 3:24 PM  #89

And what's the rocker style and hardware (polylocks, roller rockers, studs, bolts, etc.)?

9/10/2021 8:09 PM  #90

The cam is a roller with stock lift roller tip rockers. The heads are Edelbrock Performers. I think they use pressed in studs. The rockers are held in place with a long nut and an alan screw in the nut to lock down on the stud.

9/10/2021 8:22 PM  #91

Edelbrock heads have screw-in studs. You must not be tightening the rocker nut setscrews properly if they are coming loose.
My method:
Adjust nut to proper rocker adjustment. Back off 1/8 turn. Tighten setscrew as tight as you can get it by hand with 3/8” ratchet. Then, turn the adjusting nut and the setscrew together 1/8 turn.  They NEVER come loose using that method.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

9/11/2021 8:18 PM  #92

MS wrote:

Edelbrock heads have screw-in studs. You must not be tightening the rocker nut setscrews properly if they are coming loose.
My method:
Adjust nut to proper rocker adjustment. Back off 1/8 turn. Tighten setscrew as tight as you can get it by hand with 3/8” ratchet. Then, turn the adjusting nut and the setscrew together 1/8 turn.  They NEVER come loose using that method.

That's a new method of torquing valves to me. I have never done it that way. I'll give it a try.

9/16/2021 1:08 PM  #93

I went through the valves and found one real loose one and tightened it. Some of them are tight but I can wiggle them side to side. I'm not sure if it is from bleed down or that they should always be tight in any position. Airplanes are always tight. The miss is still there and consistent which makes me think the valves still need to be adjusted. I adjusted the internal timing of the distributor some more. It runs better in that regard. I learned that the vacuum advance adjustment is only a spring that tightens or loosens a spring. So the only thing it does is change how fast the advance moves not how far it changes the timing. The advance always moves the same amount no matter to 50° BTDC. I disconnected the advance and it doesn't ping anymore. That makes it a little slower leaving the stop light. I'll live with it. The carb still runs out of gas after changing the little hose. The new hose is reinforced with string crisscrossed on the out side of it. Where do I get some of that hose? The "old" hose that I put on is now hard as a brick. When I removed it, it was real soft and supple. (Goodyear fuel line)  That's probably what is going on with the rest of the hoses.   

9/16/2021 5:34 PM  #94

With the cam on the base circle I adjust the rocker until there is no slack in the pushrod.  Some like to twist them side to side.  I find I can't feel when there is drag and they end up too tight if I do it that way.  I therefore go up and down until there is no slack, then go 1/4 turn past that. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.