FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2021 5:26 PM  #1

Many of you are aware of my Heap troubles....

so I thought I'd post an update.

Put it on the road in late April so I'd have plenty of time to dial it in for the Bash trip.  Well, so much for that great plan.  The Heap runs a Ford EEC-IV EFI and the engine has AFR 165 heads with a Comp cam.  I had an XE 266 in it and it ran okay but I got to thinking that I really didn't need .560 lift and I thought a little less duration would also make the EFI happier.  So when the engine ate all of its main bearings I decided to go with an XE 264 in the new engine.
Right from the first start I knew there was something wrong.  It wouldn't idle correctly no matter what I did.  Only pulled 7.5 to 8 inches of vacuum.  I had done some harness work while it was down so first thing I thought of was a hosed up harness.  Tested it every way I know how but no joy.  Occasionally it would drop a code or two and I went though all the sensor replacement stuff knowing it would do no good...and I was right.
A few weeks ago Coupedaddy recommended I call Delta Cams (the grinder) and get their opinion.  I parked it for about three weeks and did other stuff but about a week ago I called Ken at Delta...good guy and pretty knowledgeable.  He suggested that I should loosen the rockers until it had .005 lash at the valves and see if the vacuum came up.
Sure enough it started like an EFI engine is supposed to, idled right at a solid 650, pulled 12 inches of vacuum.  Called Ken and apparently they sometimes get a little run-out that causes a high spot on the heel of the lobes which will hold the valve open a bit and cause what I was dealing with.
So Delta Cams will fix this cam but one thing I noticed when it was idling ok was that it stank.  The XE 266 also always stank at idle.  This is a pretty common issue with aftermarket cams, especially on EFI engines.  So a hard decision was made.  One that I know I'll catch a lot of flack about from a few guys.  I decided to take it back to where it made me the happiest.  I'm keeping the AFR heads but I rounded up a stock 93 HO cam from brother BB2 and that's what it going to run.  There are just too many activities I enjoy and trying to learn how to properly tune EFI, I have discovered, is not one of them.  This car gets most of it's miles on the highway so street light to street light performance really isn't a big deal for me. 
So that's the story.  Soon as a new set of shorter pushrods get here I'll be putting it back together and with luck, it'll be seeing a road trip to MS's mini-Bash in Sept.

You can ask me at a Bash why I modified it in the first place.

BB1

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/14/2021 7:29 PM  #2

Re: Many of you are aware of my Heap troubles....

Will you start your tuning  from a bone stock calibration on ECM?

7/14/2021 8:01 PM  #3

The big question is............Did you rotate your pistons?! (notch toward the back...not the front!)
Your answer prolly lies somewhere in that exercise!!
Free HP!
6sally6
PS........Reminds me of an old 60's favorite.........."If it feels good Do It"!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/14/2021 8:52 PM  #4

Nos681 wrote:

Will you start your tuning from a bone stock calibration on ECM?

Lt. Dan:  No more tuning.  I'll just leave it alone and let it run as it was designed to do.  Very boring, very reliable...as you well know.

Sal:  Yes I rotated them.  Felt so good that I did it again.  Doesn't seem to have made an difference.

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

7/14/2021 10:31 PM  #5

Maybe rotate them in a star pattern hehe

7/15/2021 7:39 AM  #6

Where does spare piston go?🤔

7/15/2021 8:59 AM  #7

Tailpipe.

7/15/2021 11:15 AM  #8

Bullet Bob wrote:

You can ask me at a Bash why I modified it in the first place.

BB1

Peer pressure is a real thing. 

Do what you want with it BB

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

7/15/2021 11:48 AM  #9

So glad for you it seems you've found the causes to The Heap's problem Bullet. I'll take two push rods and a lifter in trade for that cam.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/15/2021 12:01 PM  #10

Bummer that you have to give up a performance part to get the drivability where you want it. If you ever get the itch you should look at a Megasquirt based "plug and play" set up for that SN-95 wiring harness. 

https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/tuning/pimp-engine-management/pimpxshift-powertrain-management

7/15/2021 1:06 PM  #11

Hey Bob,
You have a long and respectable reputation of building performance engines.  You have successfully diagnosed the current issues, which is a special skill set.  You have absolutely no reason to feel sheepish about your chosen direction.  I, for one, applaud the choice to build it with the aim to get 100,000 uninterrupted miles out of it.

Will you be going back to the AOD?

Regarding the unappreciated aroma.... I have an 03/04 Cobra factory front pipe hanging on my garage wall with 4 cats on it.  Shoot me a txt or email if you have interest.  Yeah, I saw your latest round of artistry with the AODE exhaust system.  It would be a shame to alter that Picasso...

7/15/2021 2:26 PM  #12

BB2:  I have a set of used roller lifters from the donor 5.0.  Also have a set of Comp Magnum hardened 5/16 pushrods that measure 6.415.  Certainly too short and probably too small diameter for your setup, but you are certainly welcome to anything I have that will help.  Tell me what push rods you need...dia/length...and I'll gladly order 'em for you.  And a set of lifters if you want.  You pretty much saved my..... I think.
You won't believe this.  Yesterday at 1:30 my time I ordered a set of pushrods from Summit and coughed up the $22.50 for next day air.  Figured the way shipping is these days I might get them tomorrow or Saturday.  They were delivered about 45 minutes ago...unbelievable.

Raymond:  I studied up on Mega Squirt waaaaaay back when you bought all the parts and built it your ownself.  Now that I know the problems were not related to my harness work or the tuning, I may change the harness config back to run the CBAZA and reinstall the 4R70W.  I really liked that transmission but pulled it and went back to the AOD/A9P when things weren't working as they should.  Worst problem I had with the 4R70W/W4H0 PCM was that the torque converter would stay locked in third gear but would only lock for about five seconds and then drop out in fourth.  Has to be the calibration but I never could find the right parameter to change.  Any ideas?  

7/15/2021 3:10 PM  #13

Bullet Bob wrote:

Raymond:  I studied up on Mega Squirt waaaaaay back when you bought all the parts and built it your ownself.  Now that I know the problems were not related to my harness work or the tuning, I may change the harness config back to run the CBAZA and reinstall the 4R70W.  I really liked that transmission but pulled it and went back to the AOD/A9P when things weren't working as they should.  Worst problem I had with the 4R70W/W4H0 PCM was that the torque converter would stay locked in third gear but would only lock for about five seconds and then drop out in fourth.  Has to be the calibration but I never could find the right parameter to change.  Any ideas?  

You were going to send me your settings, not sure if I missed that or if you did My biggest knock against tuning the factory stuff is that we are at the mercy of the folks who sifted through the bin files and set the software up to change those addresses I.E. Injector size is at xxx address. Those "definition" files can have errors and usually when everything is set, but something is not working, then it is that. **Having said that CBAZA is an awfully popular calibration so I would imagine someone else would have reported an issue by now. But you never know!

One thing that will affect converter lock is the brake light circuit, if you have a twitchy pedal it could cause the converter to unlock. But that would affect 2nd and 3rd gear as well. Anywhoo PM me your email if you want and I can have a look at your file, but as you know converter lock is straightforward TPS and MPH based. Never hurts to have another set of eyes look though.

7/15/2021 5:40 PM  #14

Thanks for the offer BB1, but I was just making fun of my damage. I've recieved all the parts needed to put her back together.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/15/2021 7:58 PM  #15

Raymond_B wrote:

Bullet Bob wrote:

You were going to send me your settings, not sure if I missed that or if you did My biggest knock against tuning the factory stuff is that we are at the mercy of the folks who sifted through the bin files and set the software up to change those addresses I.E. Injector size is at xxx address. Those "definition" files can have errors and usually when everything is set, but something is not working, then it is that. **Having said that CBAZA is an awfully popular calibration so I would imagine someone else would have reported an issue by now. But you never know!

One thing that will affect converter lock is the brake light circuit, if you have a twitchy pedal it could cause the converter to unlock. But that would affect 2nd and 3rd gear as well. Anywhoo PM me your email if you want and I can have a look at your file, but as you know converter lock is straightforward TPS and MPH based. Never hurts to have another set of eyes look though.

I guess I blew it and never sent the file.  If you have Tuner Pro I can send the calibration I'm working with.  It was written by Decipha who runs  EFIDyno Tuning.com.  He seems pretty knowledgeable but then, what do I know.  When I posed on his forum about the lock up problem he had me send my file.  He made a couple of changes but no change in performance.  About that time I decided to pull the 4R70, and go back to the basics.  But that didn't help due to the problem be cam related. 
If you PM me your email addy I'll send the CBAZA calibration file I was using...if you can open it.
And, thank you very much.  My problem is I know just enough about this stuff to get into trouble.

BB1

8/04/2021 1:53 PM  #16

Raymond_B wrote:

Bummer that you have to give up a performance part to get the drivability where you want it. If you ever get the itch you should look at a Megasquirt based "plug and play" set up for that SN-95 wiring harness. 

https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/tuning/pimp-engine-management/pimpxshift-powertrain-management

I'm running a PimpX ECU in my daily driver '91 F150 that I swapped from 300 to 351W with GT40 heads, headers, 1.7ratio Crane Roller Rockers, etc...  I'm very happy with it.  I had never attempted to do any tuning before, but I was able to do this with no problem.  The "auto-tune" feature is super nice.

This guy's Megasquirt video helped me get started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kKIUNyfBY

8/04/2021 5:09 PM  #17

Just a quick read about Stinger’s PiMPxs makes me like it.

MAF is not required for sequential fired engines and can use existing wiring harness.

Hmmmm….

8/04/2021 11:11 PM  #18

I'm running a full Megasquirt setup and love it (Megasquirt is what Stinger built off of). I hope to make a Bash someday and will show you guys. Here's a cold start on full E-85 with a very healthy 427w Novi2000, big cam, 160 lb injectors yadda yadda. Auto tune is great and with flex fuel enabled I can run reg pump fuel all the way up to E85. Now that the rear end is back in I'll be taking advantage of traction control!

https://youtu.be/r3n8P9-AfE4

Last edited by Raymond_B (8/05/2021 7:50 AM)

8/05/2021 10:13 AM  #19

Yep...PimpX is just Megasquirt in a Ford EEC-IV case so it plugs into your factory wiring.

8/05/2021 10:46 AM  #20

WOW Raymond!!!......very arousing!
IF I knew my hot rod would work that good with FI......hmmmmm I juhhh-smite!
Sweet...........Pretty pricey I bet.
(When I see & hear trucks like that it makes me think about.... 'being-unfaithful'... to my Mustang and think about just how coool a classic pick up would be with a 'hot rod mow-duh' in it. ) Forgive me 66
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.