FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2021 4:32 AM  #1

Steel tubing suggestions for body jig

So im curious what yall would suggest on wall thickness for square tubing for a body cart for my 1965 Coupe. I like the looks of this http://67fastbackproject.blogspot.com/2015/11/how-to-design-and-build-frame-jig-in.html?m=1 and maybe a mix of this https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/my-body-cart-build.782641/

I watched a youtube video on a mustang body jig the guy said make sure and use 3/16 wall for everything that way it will wall fit snug. Use 2x2 for the long runs 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square for the female tube. What do you guys think? I was thinking this would be a good way to tackle my new floor install. Im thinking im going to reinstall my rear axle for temporary so I can move my car to be able to pull the engine and transmission. Then I want to proceed with my trunk floor install transition pan and rear shock crossmember then continue forward by then tackling the floor pans and toe pans.
Do you guys think 3/16" wall is over kill? Im planning on having a completely empty car. It pretty much is now except engine and trans.
Also I found these casters. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GM85WWF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_i_NKR20A52H4R9THR23BKP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by True74yamaha (7/20/2021 6:26 AM)

7/20/2021 2:28 PM  #2

Re: Steel tubing suggestions for body jig

Way overkill

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

7/20/2021 5:44 PM  #3

Bodyshells weigh  less than 750 lbs bare.
1/8" wall thickness is plenty strong.
I made the spider and door opening braces for my vert from 1/16"
wall 3/4" square steel tubing.
no movement when installed on Rotisserie.
For full body carts VMF site has a few threads with great Pics.
Cman

Last edited by cman66 (7/20/2021 6:00 PM)

7/21/2021 1:59 AM  #4

MS wrote:

Way overkill

Do you think the 2 x 2 x 1/8  is over kill?

When I worked in a shop there was an empty shell fastback on a frame cart it was supported in the front under the LCA  points and in the rear under the axle bumper on the frame. The tubing was thin like maybe 1" 1/4 x 1" 1/4 18 gauge square for the large female and 1" x 1" square tubing. Again this car was empty. I may car at this time isn't empty yet. Right now I don't have any spare time to throw the axle back it just to turn the car around so I can move it. Lol

Right now I wish I had some square tubing to build a set of bolt on casters for the rear of my car. I need to take some welding classes so that I can better learn material thickness to use for my Projects. I appreciate everyones help and input they give me thank you. By chance What size of material would you suggest to build a set of bolt on casters? I was thinking of building a set that mount in the front leaf spring pocket.

I do like this frame jig that Rusty Built for this 1965 Coupe. https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/1965-mustang-rust-repair.828788/

I don't think Ill need to preform the A pillar, windsheild chanel, hinge post mine are solid. I do need to repair the rear frame rails do to the Hold down brackets being installed and trapping moisture. Its pretty well concentrated the bolt brace. I purchased full floor sections for both sides I dont really want to install the entire portion on the passenger so but a decent majority it pitted and in some areas heavy. I plan on using the floor section for patches. The Drives side I'm better off removing the entire section from toe boards to where it meets the rear floor exstentions. Right side toe board isnt rusted through but is heavily pitted. I do plan I installing front torque boxes. And maybe some fancy frame rail connectors haven't decided. Basically I got some help to push my car in the garage but it was pointing the wrong direction to pull the engine. My helper was in a rush lol.  Now I need to put the rear axle back in to move it. Kinda jumped the gun I guess. That is unless I just build my frame jig and have it support my car well enough with the engine trans still in there. But kinda bass awkwardness maybe. Sorry I Ramble On.

7/21/2021 6:03 AM  #5

Welding classes will teach you how to weld, but what you're talking about is more engineering.  They aren't going to teach you that kind of stuff.  There are some good books on the subject.  You need to know how the material is being loaded and with how much weight and then you can use tables and calculations to figure out if its strong enough, how much safety margin it has, etc.

This is all pretty academic, the weight you're talking about isn't much.  1/8" thick material is plenty strong.  1/16" is probably fine honestly.

7/21/2021 7:21 AM  #6

TKOPerformance wrote:

Welding classes will teach you how to weld, but what you're talking about is more engineering.  They aren't going to teach you that kind of stuff.  There are some good books on the subject.  You need to know how the material is being loaded and with how much weight and then you can use tables and calculations to figure out if its strong enough, how much safety margin it has, etc.

This is all pretty academic, the weight you're talking about isn't much.  1/8" thick material is plenty strong.  1/16" is probably fine honestly.

What diameter would you suggest? I was thinking 2x2 and 2 1/2 x 2 1/2. Now im thinking 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 and 2 " x 2" for the larger. What do you think?

7/21/2021 7:33 AM  #7

Let me be clear on exactly what you are doing.  Are you looking to build a rotisserie or just a cart to move the body around without having to have an axle, and suspension under it? 

7/21/2021 10:18 AM  #8

Yall think I should go with two vertical 16ft length runs goung down the lengths of the car? or should I go with one vertical run and do my horizontal lengths?

7/21/2021 10:20 AM  #9

TKOPerformance wrote:

Let me be clear on exactly what you are doing.  Are you looking to build a rotisserie or just a cart to move the body around without having to have an axle, and suspension under it? 

Just a cart for now I'm not planning on building a rotisserie. Id like to build one but done have the time for that. I do plan on purchasing a rotisserie I'm thinking. Really a cart to move the body around with out the axle would be ideal. Id kinda would like something simple to move the car. I do Like thishttp://store.uscartool.com/1965-1971-Mustang-Car-Moving-Body-Wheel-Set_p_88.html or https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/yvCijvid7G3P

but I think I could definitely make it cheaper but. Would like suggestions on material thickness though.

Plus I need to Build a chassis jig to do the rust repair. A chassis jig with casters to move the car around if needed and to do the rust rapair work would be ideal.

I was thinking 2x2x1/8 wall square for the 16' length runs and as well as my horizontal connectors to the body, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 1/8 wall for female couplers. I was looking for help or suggestions on this. I was planning on mounting under rear leaf sping mounts to do frame patch under the front leaf spring mount under the rocker just forward of the front leaf spring mount then under the rocker  by the Hinge pillar post. Then one more mount which would attach in the LCA mounts. Probably really over kill.

I need to install rear frame rail patches floor pans full driver side transition panel trunk panels rear floor exstentions front floor extensions fix or replace the floor supports.install the new Rear shock mount and quarter panels.

Basically 2 parallel horizontal square tubes 16' then a 6'L x 5' box on top that mounts under the rockers. Then 4 5'horizontal bars one under LCA, two more under the leaf spring mounts front and rear.

Last edited by True74yamaha (7/21/2021 11:15 AM)

7/21/2021 10:55 AM  #10

Click on photos in links and they will enlarge.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/9NTNf0X8JUSR

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/gU63BimJz8xF

Or Something similar to this.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/vQ5jbLdWheAx

The only thing was I wasn't sure about only 1 long vertical atleast for my car. The guy who designed this made this out of 1/8" wall 1 3/4x 1 3/4 square  and 2x2x 1/8 wall and some angle iron

Last edited by True74yamaha (7/21/2021 10:57 AM)

7/21/2021 11:49 AM  #11

So moving the body around intact and a jig for making extensive repairs are two pretty different applications.  A cart can make use of the inherent strength in the unibody, and thus can get away with being made from smaller material since basically its just being point loaded (downward pressure only).  Basically you are making a roller skate for each end and trying them together to prevent them from kicking out as you roll it.  1-3/4" square material will be fine for that at almost any wall thickness of 1/16" or more. 

For a chassis jig you need something that won't allow movement as you remove structure from the unibody.  For that I would want chassis rails of something like 2x3 rectangular tubing with a 1/8"-3/16" wall thickness to prevent flex.  That's typically what most custom built hot rod chassis use for main rails, so it should be plenty strong. Then build the tie in parts accordingly.  The big thing is thinking about which direction you need to maintain a critical dimension and bracing accordingly.  Maximum strength is always going to be achieved with triangulation.  You can make a chassis jig so it can roll, but in the place you are working on it you want it set perfectly level.  Such a setup may be best with 6 casters for added center support under the rails.  If you use locking casters you can then place shims under them as needed to achieve true level.  Or jack it up and set it on blocks and shim the blocks to prevent movement. 

Last edited by TKOPerformance (7/23/2021 4:57 AM)

7/21/2021 12:24 PM  #12

Most guys don't realize JUST how strong a weld 'tack' is! (I'm no expert butt......I've welded MILES of weld!)
Using two pieces of scrap tubing.... make a 1/2" tack to hold them at a 90 degree angle. Now  using all you arm muscles separate them!
Now.....do the same thing again but put TWO 1/2" tacks (one opposing the other) and TRY to break/separate them!...........
Butt welds are even stronger!
When using long runs of tubing....make a tack  every foot of two.
It ain't going 'no where'!
Using heavier wall material just stiffens it up. Do the same thing with a weld tack. (Don't over think this thing)
With metal some times you "F" stuff up.......it can be "un-F'ed" pretty easy. You can shorten...lengthen...bow...twist...UN-bow...UN-twist...
"Arn" can be pretty forgiving......you just need to be smarter than it is!"
6sally6

Last edited by 6sally6 (7/21/2021 12:25 PM)

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/21/2021 12:31 PM  #13

TKOPerformance wrote:

So moving the body around intact and a jig for making extensive repairs are two pretty different applications.  A cart can make use of the inherent strength in the unibody, and thus can get away with being made from smaller material since basically its just being point loaded (downward pressure only).  Basically you are making a roller skate for each end and trying them together to prevent them from kicking out as you roll it.  1-3/4" square material will be fine for that at almost any wall thickness of 1/16" or more. 

For a chassis jig you need something that won't allow movement as you remove structure from the unibody.  For that I would want chassis rails of something like 2x3 rectangular tubing with a 1/8"-3/`16" wall thickness to prevent flex.  That's typically what most custom built hot rod chassis use for main rails, so it should be plenty strong. Then build the tie in parts accordingly.  The big thing is thinking about which direction you need to maintain a critical dimension and bracing accordingly.  Maximum strength is always going to be achieved with triangulation.  You can make a chassis jig so it can roll, but in the place you are working on it you want it set perfectly level.  Such a setup may be best with 6 casters for added center support under the rails.  If you use locking casters you can then place shims under them as needed to achieve true level.  Or jack it up and set it on blocks and shim the blocks to prevent movement. 

Thank you for the insite on the roller body cart with downward pressure.  and the suggestions on rails for a jig I like the idea of the 2x3 much better than the 2x2 and 2 1/2 combination I would like to make one that has levelers and casters. That is what I was thinking of including in my chassis jig.

7/21/2021 12:33 PM  #14

6sally6 wrote:

Most guys don't realize JUST how strong a weld 'tack' is! (I'm no expert butt......I've welded MILES of weld!)
Using two pieces of scrap tubing.... make a 1/2" tack to hold them at a 90 degree angle. Now  using all you arm muscles separate them!
Now.....do the same thing again but put TWO 1/2" tacks (one opposing the other) and TRY to break/separate them!...........
Butt welds are even stronger!
When using long runs of tubing....make a tack  every foot of two.
It ain't going 'no where'!
Using heavier wall material just stiffens it up. Do the same thing with a weld tack. (Don't over think this thing)
With metal some times you "F" stuff up.......it can be "un-F'ed" pretty easy. You can shorten...lengthen...bow...twist...UN-bow...UN-twist...
"Arn" can be pretty forgiving......you just need to be smarter than it is!"
6sally6

He he ill try and think smarter not harder thank you. Really need to get some metal and get welding to gain more experience

7/21/2021 3:39 PM  #15

True74yamaha wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

He he ill try and think smarter not harder thank you. Really need to get some metal and get welding to gain more experience

Didn't mean that in a bad/ugly way! Jus try'in to be hep'ful!
6s6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

7/21/2021 5:58 PM  #16

Ditto TKO's and Sally's advice.

Bob. 69 Mach 1, 393W, SMOD Toploader, Armstrong  steering, factory AC.

7/22/2021 1:24 AM  #17

6sally6 wrote:

True74yamaha wrote:

6sally6 wrote:

6sally6

Didn't mean that in a bad/ugly way! Jus try'in to be hep'ful!
6s6

None taken Like I said earlier I really appreciate all the advice frome everyone. It never even made me a little upset with your statement. I'm always a downer getting my car on a little chassis jig or a body mover to start will be a big confidence boost. And not to mention a huge start in the right direction PUN intended to getting metal work buttoned up and on to body work done. Like I stated above I really appreciate everyones help and and insight they give me I mean I do realize I'm the youngest amongst the group so tons of chances to Learn Tons of information.

7/22/2021 2:03 AM  #18

I like TKOs advice on the 2x3 for the chassis jig. MY LOCAL supply sell 2x3 .120 wall for $185 a 20ft. TKO is .120 for the 2x3 about what you had in mind? I ask because I did also see something else that would work. I think but id like yalls opinion. My local supply sells 1 1/2" x 3" 16 gauge wall 20ft for 82.00 I was thinking get 5 20ft sticks 4 16' vertical runs use the left over for ends and cross braces. For the two 16' runs I think itd make it pretty stout if I laid two of them on their side and kept the other two up right then weld the box together. I was also thinking that for to just to be able to my move my ride now now I could use the 1 1/2x 3 lay it on its side make a small picture frame weld some plat the bottoms side  then weld 4 large casters on the bottom then use the same material as the frame to mount inside the leaf spring forward mount I would only have to slightly trim the material. I also was thinking maybe I would use some of the 1 1/2x3 for my rear frame crossmember on my car instead of the regular coupe brace. The one I purchased didnt test fit for SNOT.What do you guys think?

Last edited by True74yamaha (7/22/2021 2:13 AM)

7/22/2021 8:51 AM  #19

You probably know this already but don’t use galvanized tubing. Welding galvanized materials produces very toxic gasses.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

7/22/2021 11:56 AM  #20

Rudi wrote:

You probably know this already but don’t use galvanized tubing. Welding galvanized materials produces very toxic gasses.

Thank you I did know that one. When I took my  autobody class to learn how to weld braze lead silicone bronze and oxy acetylene weld. There was this guy that had the brilliant idea to try and mig weld straight edge razor blades to a pice of alluminum.lol

Last edited by True74yamaha (7/23/2021 1:35 PM)

7/23/2021 5:06 AM  #21

Yes, 0.120" is just a tick under 1/8", which is 0.125".  That would be fine. 

On welding anything into the existing unibody be aware of a couple things.  You don't want to use material that is too thick, because its hard to get a good weld between thick and thin material.  You tend to either make a weak weld with bad penetration on the thick material, or burn through the thin material.  One trick is to weld a plate of intermediate thickness to the tubing where it welds to the body.  This allows you to more easily weld the plate to the thicker material and then the plate to the sheetmetal of the body. 

The other thing is wear a respirator.  The underbody in these cars actually had some kind of galvanizing applied to it at the factory.  You'll need to grind through that to get a solid weld and can still create toxic fumes when welding because the zinc is impossible to fully remove mechanically. 

8/01/2021 2:08 PM  #22

So I picked up some material to build the chassis jig and I need to grab one stick for my rear body dollys.
I went with 3 24ft 3x2 .078 wall rectangle. I had two cut down to 15ft. The remainders I am planning on using to box in the chassis jig. I also purchased 24ft 2x2x 1/8 wall in hind sight I shouldve gone with 2x2 3/16 wall and 1.5 x1.5 3/16 wall square. Ive heard if I wouldve went with 3/16 square then the tubes would be a slip fit and I wont have to deal with the weld seam. Is there a tubing that will fit over or inside the 2x2 1/8? I would like to have some square to make some couplers for my up rights so I can make it adjustable. I also purchased 8 5" heavy duty casters 450lbs each I think. And some 1/4" plate to mount casters to.

8/02/2021 5:03 AM  #23

The tubing doesn't have to slip fit tightly to make it adjustable.  In fact that may  not work out as well as you might think depending on how tight it is (it may not move easily).  Another option is to just drill a series of holes and use pins or bolts.  If there's a gap it won't matter.  The weight will be born by the bolt or pin.  Something 3/8" in diameter would be fine.  They use 1/2" to bolt the structural steel together that holds up a house.  Just use a drill press to make sure the holes are nice and straight so you don't have to fight with the bolts/pins.  Go a little larger than the bolt/pin size too, like another 64th" so you don't have to fight them going in and out. 

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.