FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2013 3:51 PM  #1

This seemed like really good idea at the time...

I had this isdea to run the h-pipe UNDER the e-brake cable assembly so everything would have its own space.  I fashioned the h-pipe and welded it in, but the result is 4" ground clearance under the crossover pipe.  I have 5" clearance under my oil pan and the R&P.

What do you guys have on your car?  This h-pipe will be the lowest point on the car and I can imagine what would happen if I snagged it on something.  What do y'all think?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/20/2013 4:44 PM  #2

Re: This seemed like really good idea at the time...

H-pipe on my '66 is further towards the back of the car, prolly about 4-6" behind the front frame rail ends, or a little further back than where your pipes end in these pics, seems to work fine there and it looks like you'd be able to get away with a straight shot if you had a pipe even with the back of the frame rails, or a little further back, and still have drive shaft clearance since the DS shouldn't have much up/down travel right behind the u-joint. Brake cables look like they'd clear fine too.

Last edited by McStang (8/20/2013 8:22 PM)

(Pinto!)

8/20/2013 4:49 PM  #3

MustangSteve wrote:

I had this isdea to run the h-pipe UNDER the e-brake cable assembly so everything would have its own space.  I fashioned the h-pipe and welded it in, but the result is 4" ground clearance under the crossover pipe.  I have 5" clearance under my oil pan and the R&P.

What do you guys have on your car?  This h-pipe will be the lowest point on the car and I can imagine what would happen if I snagged it on something.  What do y'all think?

Steve I have 5"

"Never put a question mark where God put a period "  Richard Petty

8/20/2013 6:22 PM  #4

How about a skid plate?  My daughters vw beetle convertible is extremely low to the ground. They had so many problems with people scraping the bottom and ripping stuff off the car, that vw got wise and installed a skid plate that covered everything from under the car starting near the front bumper all the way under the seat.  

GET HER DONE BULLETBOB!!! ..

8/20/2013 6:26 PM  #5

Looks like trouble waiting to happpen 500 miles from home.
As much as I hate do-overs, I believe I'd redo it.

8/20/2013 6:32 PM  #6

I live on a rock road with these headers sticking down. I hear a rock once in a while, but other that that I haven't heard any other scrapes. Haven't hit any blown semi tires or roadkill though.;

67 Coupe, 5.0 EEC IV Fuel injected. T5, 3:70 rear

8/21/2013 4:26 AM  #7

I don't know what the full purpose of the H pipe is but could you oval it out. May give you enough room on top and bottom to take the curve out and move it up.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/21/2013 5:48 AM  #8

I'd come forward with it and make it straight.    Looks like there's room under the trans mount.   

Greg Z

8/21/2013 6:42 AM  #9

Make the cross over straight and weld two small tubes through it for the cable passage.
May be a PITA bto remove the "H"pipe but once its on it wont be like your taking it on and off every month.

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/21/2013 7:56 AM  #10

Know you like lowered cars but, you could raise front end one inch? Huh!
Howard

8/21/2013 8:11 AM  #11

Can you relocate the e-brake bracket on to  the bottom of the tranny or fab a new e-brake bracket higher  and run the H straight....jj

8/21/2013 1:02 PM  #12

Mine on the Mach seems to be in about the same place, only straight across. I have less ground clearance than you... But my Sub Frame connectors are the lowest point under the car. I don't have an E-Brake cable however...

"The OLDER I Get....The FASTER I Was..."

8/21/2013 3:47 PM  #13

I'm thinking 4" is more clearance than I had before.  But then, I might lower it some more once I get all the parts on it.

8/21/2013 3:58 PM  #14

MustangSteve wrote:

I'm thinking 4" is more clearance than I had before.  But then, I might lower it some more once I get all the parts on it.

Plus sitting in it will add ??? weight.....jj

8/21/2013 4:57 PM  #15

You have measured under the pipes and all the front end stuff but how much clearance do you have under the rear differential???  When I put the X pipe in my Galaxie I was worried about clearance because it looked like the lowest point then I measured the rear end clearance and realized that the rear end was the lowest point.  After that I wasn't worried about the x-pipe anymore.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

8/21/2013 5:36 PM  #16

Presumably, the rear diff will lift along with the wheels so it shouldn't be a concern. I had a bad experience once with long tubes which sat too low. I was camping and pulled out of the campsite and the header hit a tree root which was sticking out of the ground. That, in turn, pushed up on the headers, and tilted the engine just enough for the 'too close' fan to catch the radiator. Boy, wasn't that fun. Had to drive to the neares podunk town. Of course, the autoparts store laughed at me but said that his buddy owned a pick-and-pull. Since it was closed, he said to climb the fence and he'd give his buddy the money. I ended up getting a radiator that wouldn't fit on the outside so I had to literally strap it to the outside of the grill. Looked like hell, but it got me home.

Anyway, scraping the exhaust gets old to me quick. That said, I just checked the exhaust on my current '65 and the Magnaflow exhaust is 4" minimum clear and I've never scraped it. I'd just keep yours as is. 

1965 Mustang 2+2 EFI

8/21/2013 5:51 PM  #17

Jeff in GA wrote:

Presumably, the rear diff will lift along with the wheels so it shouldn't be a concern.

Same can be said of the oil pan and the front steering.  My only wory about clerence is if one tire falls off the road or when driving over tree stumps ... I mean when there is an unexpected obstical directly under the car.  At that point anything that hangs down low is of concern: headers, H or X pipe, oil pan, or rear diff.  Good rule of thumb if you have not had any issues with hitting the current lowest point on the car than setting somthing else up that hangs at about the same level should not be an issue.

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

8/21/2013 6:46 PM  #18

IF it were anyone else cept MS. I'd say ride it like it is, untill road testing proves otherwise.

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/21/2013 6:50 PM  #19

the real issue here is why did you use one of those cheep parts store bends instad of getting a good manderal bent piece of pipe??                

8/21/2013 6:51 PM  #20

I think it is going to the BASH as it is.  All highway driving, and some of you stated you only have 4" ground clearance also.  I do not like the way it looks, but that won't keep it from working for now. 

Yeah, Tubo... You know me well enough to know it will eventually get changed...

Today I got the alternator, power steering pump amd the new AC compressor installed on the engine.  I think tomorrow I will be doing the exhaust back to and including the mufflers.  I am going to make some custome muffler hangers that use the Fox Mustang rubber gizmos.  Then the tailpipes will be hung using some 2007 tailpipe hangers that fit the rear framerails perfectly.  Goal is an exhaust system that is flexible somewhat, to reduce vibrations.

8/21/2013 7:16 PM  #21

MustangSteve wrote:

I am going to make some custome muffler hangers that use the Fox Mustang rubber gizmos.  Then the tailpipes will be hung using some 2007 tailpipe hangers that fit the rear framerails perfectly.  Goal is an exhaust system that is flexible somewhat, to reduce vibrations.

Excelent!!
Photos are coming.
Are R & L going to be mirror imiages??
I'm wondering bout Drone Monster...though "exhaust system that is flexible" should be an effective counter drone assist.

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/21/2013 7:19 PM  #22

I am installing 2-1/2" Dynomax VT mufflers, guaranteed not to drone, and pre-tested on Don's 66.  They have the exact STOCK quietness when cruising along or mildly accelerating that I was wanting, but the valve opens up to straight through when you get on it.  I would install a stock muffler on the car if anyone made one that would fit.  I was going to use the 2007 GT factory takeoff mufflers, but they are too thick and would sit too low.

8/21/2013 8:42 PM  #23

I actually think it looks perfect where it is

8/21/2013 8:51 PM  #24

I think it will be ok.  You could de-humpify it to gain an inch and still have plenty of H to work.  If you really like cutting, patching, and re-welding you could go with an oval shape to reduce the vertical cross-section but I would leave it as is.  Think of it as an early warning system for more severe impacts.

8/21/2013 9:07 PM  #25

Daze wrote:

the real issue here is why did you use one of those cheep parts store bends instad of getting a good manderal bent piece of pipe??                

Daze, you have been fooled by an outward appearance similar to pipes with actual BENDS in them, rather than angles...  This one is a computer designed anti-reversion non-echoic chambered crossover (under in this case) that will totally eliminate any droning.  Or, if you get right down to it, the H-pipe is a good way to make your header gaskets at the heads last longer because the exhaust system cannot rock back and forth.

Maybe some day it will get changed.  Maybe on the way to the bash, the underside of the car will get dirty and I will forget it is even down there, and never look back.  I am hoping for the later.

After looking at my lowered 2007 GT, I think 4" is plenty of clearance.  And the e-brake works great without having any interference from any other parts.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.