FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/22/2013 11:08 AM  #26

Re: This seemed like really good idea at the time...

MustangSteve wrote:

Daze, you have been fooled by an outward appearance similar to pipes with actual BENDS in them, rather than angles... 

ouch  

If it isn't broken...modify it anyway! http://www.DazeCars.com https://galaxieforum.boardhost.com

8/22/2013 3:27 PM  #27

It just occurred to me that I will be removing the entire exhaust from the headers back in order to finalize all the welds.  This system is going to be 100% welded with no clamps except maybe to hold a hanger.  Since I will have the rear end out to replace the rear springs, that gives me the opportunity to remove it and remount it in one piece.

Since that is the case, I can turn that h-pipe upside down and take a 1/2" slice off the bottom and weld a flat plate in there, just like I did on my shock towers.

Jury is still out on the 4" trumpets that will have to stick out of the valance about 2" in order to clear the chrome trim.  I would rather have stock GT tips cut out to 2-1/2" like my old ones were.  Something about the original look...

I spent today fitting the 2-1/2" exhaust system on the car.  I want to do something different than use cheapo hangers, so I bought some rubber hangers like the Fox Mustangs used.  Now I just have to figure out how to mount them.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2013 7:19 PM  #28

I was actually going to suggest welding a flat plate on there, like you said,  but then I thought that people would think that was a stupid idea and make fun of it.   So I didnt post that idea.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/22/2013 7:37 PM  #29

Since its gauranteed to not drone(how can THAT be cool?!) just do like Tony Soprano usta say...Faagiddaboudit!
Don't use no stinking H-pipe!!
 Tests prove it doesn't make ANY noticable power under 5/6 thousand RPM anyhow!!
OR...
 whine-knott..  pop a coupla holes in that fancy trans hump cover you made and route the H-pipe into the cab and run it OVER the trans hump?! Make a great supplamental heater in the winter and just throw an insulated fiberglass banket over it in the summertime!
Prob-solved.......You're welcome!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/22/2013 7:44 PM  #30

MustangSteve wrote:

It just occurred to me that I will be removing the entire exhaust from the headers back in order to finalize all the welds.  This system is going to be 100% welded with no clamps except maybe to hold a hanger.  Since I will have the rear end out to replace the rear springs, that gives me the opportunity to remove it and remount it in one piece.

MustangSteve, when you say completely welded, does that mean there will be no flange to unbolt between the headers and the mufflers to ease the  R&R of the transmission?

John  -- 67 Mustang Coupe 390 5 speed

8/22/2013 8:07 PM  #31

Headers have a ball/socket joint between them and the rest of the system.  Everything aft of that point will be welded.  Since all this is planned out ahead of time, there is no need to remove any exhaust components in order to pull the transmission.

I may decide to leave the vertical joint right after the mufflers as a clamped connection.  That would allow removing the h-pipe, intermediate pipes and both mufflers as a unit, should the need present itself.  Since the chrome tips are too large to fit through the rear valance, this would also allow the tailpipes to be removed from the rear of the car.  The bad thing about using clamps on a stainless system is that you can almost never get them tight enough to keep the pies from rotating.  Maybe a clamp and a few tack welds are in order for that connection, ... just in case.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/22/2013 8:10 PM  #32

MustangSteve wrote:

Headers have a ball/socket joint between them and the rest of the system.  Everything aft of that point will be welded.  Since all this is planned out ahead of time, there is no need to remove any exhaust components in order to pull the transmission.

I may decide to leave the vertical joint right after the mufflers as a clamped connection.  That would allow removing the h-pipe, intermediate pipes and both mufflers as a unit, should the need present itself.  Since the chrome tips are too large to fit through the rear valance, this would also allow the tailpipes to be removed from the rear of the car.  The bad thing about using clamps on a stainless system is that you can almost never get them tight enough to keep the pies from rotating.  Maybe a clamp and a few tack welds are in order for that connection, ... just in case.

You have a TIG welder?

8/23/2013 5:52 AM  #33

How about some well placed SS rivets to keep things from moving.  Easy to remove if need be.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.