FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2021 1:33 PM  #1

Looking for Relay panel ideas

Hey everyone. I’m looking at piecing together a relay panel for my 66 mustang For my new Holley sniper but also for future things like electric fans, new lights etc.

I was curious if anyone has tackled anything like this. And see if anyone has any pics or advice on best spot for one, parts, etc.

I have been thinking putting it on the passenger side inner fender behind the shock tower. Or there looks to be plenty of space by the heater motor area.  I have been thinking of getting a resettable breaker and fuse block and some bus bars with some relays and wiring it all up on a piece of abs plastic.  And mounting it all as one unit.

Thanks

Evan.

8/02/2021 2:24 PM  #2

Re: Looking for Relay panel ideas

On my '66 I first had a '90 Contour box, but it had no relays.  Then I had a '94 Explorer box working with a 5.0 conversion.  Now I have the '00 Explorer box with the '00 Explorer engine.  It fits nicely on the drivers fender.  Either of the Explorer ones have a good selection of maxi fuses, mini fuses, and relays.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SPJVVJPQefYuXSUv9

Last edited by markdtn (8/02/2021 2:26 PM)

8/02/2021 3:29 PM  #3

I ran a panel (fuse panel) with a heavy wire directly from the battery INSIDE the 66 and put it on top of the heater plenum. Just laid it up there! I left enough slack in the wire that I could pull the entire panel out and lay it in my lap to add/ck fuses. (To heck with that laying on my back and fumbling around with my hands over my head!!!)
I wanted to keep my under hood area as un-cluttered as possible.
NOW........I did move my battery to the trunk and enclosed the battery area. In it I mounted my relays(for horn/lights) coil and MSD box. I made a sheet metal cover to enclose the battery area.
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/02/2021 5:23 PM  #4

I just use individual relay sockets that have dovetail joints on the sides so you can link them together.  Works fine for the 4 relays I have under the hood. 

8/02/2021 11:37 PM  #5

Do you guys have a fuse between all of your relays or are you using a resettable breaker For all of them?

8/03/2021 1:13 AM  #6

Thought I'd share this with you guys. https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/wiring_and_relays/parts/7564-HC

There's ton's of PDM's out there, but this is a nice simple setup.

8/03/2021 9:49 AM  #7

Raymond_B wrote:

Thought I'd share this with you guys. https://www.holley.com/products/electrical/wiring_and_relays/parts/7564-HC

Wow this is cool. Would I still need a fuse between the battery and this or a breaker ?

8/03/2021 10:04 AM  #8

I recently moved my battery to the trunk and installed a "Racers Inc" WB-14 fuse panel in the glovebox.  This panel comes with three realys (horn, elect fan & fuel pump) and two flashers (turn signals & hazard).  I also have two relays mounted where the original voltage regulator was (I have an alternator with integral regulator) for the Hi & Lo headlights.  Prior to the new panel I had a relay for the horns mounted in the radiator support upper channel by the passenger side horn. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/03/2021 7:31 PM  #9

Evan wrote:

Raymond_B wrote:

Wow this is cool. Would I still need a fuse between the battery and this or a breaker ?

No fuse needed. What's also nice is that if you have an electric fan you can PWM control it so it can soft start and avoid the voltage inrush when the fan kicks on. 

8/04/2021 4:44 AM  #10

Evan wrote:

Do you guys have a fuse between all of your relays or are you using a resettable breaker For all of them?

I fuse the 12V side off the battery/solenoid.  Usually a 30amp, but I do need a 40amp for my fan.  The trigger wire is fused elsewhere in those circuits so I don't fuse it again at the relay. 

8/04/2021 10:13 AM  #11

I used one of the fused relay boxes you can buy online.  Each relay has room for a fuse.

The relays in the box are for High Beams, Low Beams, Electric Choke, and Horn.  About the horn, I changed the steering wheel to complete a ground instead of completing a +12v hot wire to remove the live wire at the horn button.  The ground signal from the horn button is used to trigger the relay that powers the horns.

Last edited by Rufus68 (8/04/2021 10:33 AM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.