FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/02/2021 5:12 PM  #1

Ever have an AH-HA moment?

Had one today…looking at my old Holley carb from 2 decades ago.

Living in the S.F. Bay area at the time.
Temperature swings from day to night.
Manual choke carb and fixed wire choke wire.
AH-HA

I see my failure now.
Ya, I deserve it.

No wonder I only got 12.5 mpg with a 289/c4/2.80 open gears and this carb.
Choke wasn’t on completely, but definitely not full open when warm.
I never had a choke cable inside the car too.

Last edited by Nos681 (8/02/2021 5:16 PM)

8/02/2021 5:23 PM  #2

Re: Ever have an AH-HA moment?

great trivia question........What year was the last year FoMoCo used a manual choke??!
6sal6

Bullet Bob and/or Rudi and/or Mr. Tim may be the ones to remember.
We had one on an old 53 flat head butt-it might'a been an add-on?!

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/03/2021 8:09 AM  #3

1970 Boss 302 780 Holley manual choke

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/03/2021 9:41 AM  #4

The 6-Cyl 61 Falcon I had had a manual choke.  I believe the 64-66 289 Hi-Po's came with a manual choke.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/03/2021 9:57 AM  #5

1966 Ranchero 6 cyl had a hand choke.

8/03/2021 2:52 PM  #6

'68 F-100 with 240 cid 6 bought new from Bill Watson Ford
2/6/68 manual choke.
Cman

8/03/2021 4:05 PM  #7

I had a manual choke on a 1953 Hillman Minx. It also had a  T-handle to pull in the middle of the instrument panel to engage the manual solenoid to start the engine. And it that didn't work, it had a handle to hand crank the engine.

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/03/2021 6:32 PM  #8

I prefer a manual choke and have converted a few from electric to manual.

8/03/2021 7:55 PM  #9

True story. When I was a kid I lived next door to a Studebaker dealership till they stopped making cars.
I hung around the shop a lot and got to know the owners, who lived a couple of doors away, and the salesmen and mechanics.
One of the mechanics told me this story about an older woman who had bought a new car. She came in complaining numerous times that the car was no good and did not run properly. The mechanic road tested it more than once and told that there was nothing wrong with the car..
The mechanic asked to go with her on a test drive. The first thing she did when she got in the car was pull out the choke knob and hang her purse on it.
That story pops into my head every time I hear “manual choke”

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/03/2021 8:58 PM  #10

OK........I had a lil 77Toyota Corolla.........1200cc engine. It had a manual choke BUTT.........once the engine warmed up it would pop in by itself!! And when the engine was warm...it would NOT let you pull the choke out.
1200cc + 5 speed tranny. Great MPG......but you 'really' had to plan an attempt to pass another car!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.