FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/07/2021 10:02 AM  #1

I'm back, short history, and eventually a question ...

Ok, I was here back around 2007 I think.  I couldn't find my username so I created a new one.  Anyway, I was working on my '67 coupe (had it since 1981) and bought the MS brake swap stuff for 03-04 Cobra discs.  I bought a Randall's Rack for it, bought a new T5-Z, MS cable clutch setup with Foxbody flywheel housing, '69 Cougar 9" with 3.50 gear and Detroit Truetrac, all new suspension stuff with mild lowering springs, did the Shelby drop, and refreshed the 289.  I bought but haven't installed a new whole-car wiring harness.  Then in 2008 a second tornado hit (first was 2000) and I got distracted fixing up the house, rebuilding a garage, etc. and was just starting on drag racing motorcycles.  Since then I re-did my 69 Torino GT convertible that was damaged in the tornado (mom gave it to me in 2005 when Dad died) and have progressed a lot with the bike racing. 

Well now I'm a couple years from retiring and looking at the '67 again.  The main obstacles for me are:
1. Randall's rack rubber boots deteriorated after a couple years.
2. I don't like the pulley setup I have, mostly stock parts.  3G alternator and factory AC car, cheezy setup for PS pump.
3. I need motivation to get the under-dash work done, then I think the wiring won't be bad.
4. I bought 17" wheels that look nice from the side but from behind either there is too much offset or they need to be wider on the inside.  I used info from here when I bought them and did some measuring before purchasing but don't like the result.  They do fit the brakes and let me move the car around so I guess this is the last issue to deal with but if I need to modify any wheel lips or inner fenders I should do that before I do the bodywork.  The bodywork is the easy part for me.  Interior will be sourced.  I imagine a '69 style comfort weave style on the '69 seats I have on the shelf, matching rear of course.

Question: I know back in the day after I bought the Randall's Rack there was some negative feedback on them.  Given the issue I have should I just scrap this thing and buy a different setup?  I was looking at Flaming River.  I'm sure there are others.  I want to get to a pump that has a nice mounting bracket that will work with A/C.  If I get this going maybe I will be motivated to get under that dash this winter.  Who knows.  

8/07/2021 10:18 AM  #2

Re: I'm back, short history, and eventually a question ...

Welcome back. Although at this point I can't offer any answers to your questions, I know others will chime in to help soonest.

FWIW, that pic of your car motivates me to go out in the shop and wrench on mine.

And speaking of pics, share how you posted that pic on this forum.

8/07/2021 10:22 AM  #3

josh-kebob wrote:

Welcome back. Although at this point I can't offer any answers to your questions, I know others will chime in to help soonest.

FWIW, that pic of your car motivates me to go out in the shop and wrench on mine.

And speaking of pics, share how you posted that pic on this forum.

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm sure folks here know the best answers to all my questions.  I've poked around and read some.  The power steering post was somewhat informative but not sure it gets me all the way there.

I just posted it on PostImage.  It doesn't let me create an account so I don't know where the images will end up over time.

8/07/2021 10:47 AM  #4

Welcome back Dennis!
How  'bout posting (on your avatar your location!).....We might be neighbors and not know it
I can add this.....go ahead and remove your seats(both front and back) before EVEN thinking about working under the dash! Since your getting "close to retirement" tells me you need all the advantages you can get when it comes to working under a dash. (removing steering wheel would be even better)
Don't just '-oh no I used a word I shouldn't have--ume' wiring harness needs to be ripped out and replaced! It all depends on what the PO may have hacked into it...or mice...or squirrels.... Mines a 66 and still has the original harness.....just has some repairs and additions and updating added to it. That could save you A LOT of $$$ /time/headaches!
6sally6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/07/2021 11:21 AM  #5

Yep, the interior is pretty much out.  I initially started on a repaint and get it running mission, then diverted to the "resto-mod" route.  That's why the bumpers are off, fenders are loose, etc.  Under dash stuff is definitely getting done before paint and interior.  Once I get the non-fun stuff done I will go pretty fast on finishing it. 

I'm in Waterloo Iowa.  Guess I should add a profile pic too.  

The original harness is un-modified.  I got the car from my aunt/uncle from a field in Missouri in 1981 where it had been sitting since 1977 after coming from California.  Other than having the smog pump and a/c compressor removed it was basically unmolested.  I never drilled a hole or modified anything on the car that would keep it from going back to 100% stock but now none of that matters LOL.  I already have the harness because the wiring even in 2007 had very brittle insulation.  It still works, but might as well replace it if everything else is getting replaced.  I will be using aftermarket gauges so will need to be able to work with flexible wires.

So what is the word on rack/pinion setup?  Is there something out there to make the Randall's usable or just scrap it?

8/07/2021 11:45 AM  #6

My advice on the rack: scrap it and go with EPAS.

If you want to try and work with it I'm sure the boots are available.  You just need to know what rack they based the system on.  The pump/bracket setup can be rectified by switching to something like a Fox Mustang front accessory drive.  If it uses a Saginaw pump there is a conversion bracket available from Wild Horses 4X4 to mount the Sag pump in the Mustang  bracketry. 

8/07/2021 11:45 AM  #7

Dennis wrote:

So what is the word on rack/pinion setup?  Is there something out there to make the Randall's usable or just scrap it?

I don't know anything about the Randall Rack but feel the Borgeson PS is a good and easy solution for steering upgrade,

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

8/07/2021 12:19 PM  #8

TKOPerformance wrote:

My advice on the rack: scrap it and go with EPAS.

If you want to try and work with it I'm sure the boots are available.  You just need to know what rack they based the system on.  The pump/bracket setup can be rectified by switching to something like a Fox Mustang front accessory drive.  If it uses a Saginaw pump there is a conversion bracket available from Wild Horses 4X4 to mount the Sag pump in the Mustang  bracketry. 

Interesting.  I didn't know EPAS was an option.  For this I would use a manual rack conversion such as the Flaming River, then add the EPAS?  Or is there a complete kit out there you recommend? I don't like the Fox front accessory drive just because the tensioner is so ugly and intrusive.  I like the look of simple belts with manual tensioning.  Serpentine or V-belts are fine.  

Edit:  Pretty sure that Wild Horses is where I bought my current bracket but it doesn't solve the problem for my existing setup.  Maybe it was designed for the Fox accessory setup.

Last edited by Dennis (8/07/2021 12:22 PM)

8/07/2021 1:29 PM  #9

I'm in the final stages of adding EPAS to my 66. Still using the stock box and added a EPAS from a Toyota Yaris using the method posted by Waid. It was a fun project and really cleans up the underhood area. Next I'm adding A/C
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/toyota-electric-power-steering-eps-conversion/
I'm waiting on a adjustable pot kit from ebay to make the amount of assist adjustable. I've driven it some and the assist level is acceptable. The return to center is lacking but I did replace all of the steering linkage and the toe is probably off some. 

Good, fast or cheap. Pick any two...

8/07/2021 7:43 PM  #10

I both rode in and drove Lances 66 convertible.  It has a Randalls rack in it.   I was pleasantly surprised.   I bought a Borgeson for my convertible, with Saginaw pump.  Can't give a review on it for things we shant talk about, but I do know if I was planning and buying parts all over again, epas would be what I'd do today.   I love it in my 16 Mustang.

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/07/2021 7:53 PM  #11

Thanks guys.  I'm inclined to buy something ready to go.  I've done lots of making stuff work on my own for the bikes, and honestly I'm ready for some easy bolt-on and go stuff.  I will research EPAS setups for my application.  Or maybe I'll get something to work with the Randalls, but I might just give that setup to my nephew and let him figure it out on his car.

8/07/2021 8:16 PM  #12

The EPAS does not address the issue of having a worn or slow ratio (terrible with power assist) steering box. My vote is Borgeson. It is the new GO-TO for steering improvement.

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/07/2021 8:24 PM  #13

MS wrote:

The EPAS does not address the issue of having a worn or slow ratio (terrible with power assist) steering box. My vote is Borgeson. It is the new GO-TO for steering improvement.

That is still the old steering gear type box though, right?  I've already pulled all the stock stuff out and am thinking rack/pinion is the way to get the best feel.  Am I missing something?  

8/07/2021 11:36 PM  #14

MS wrote:

I agree with MS. I've had the Borgeson system installed for eleven years now, and I've had no issues with it, and my car handles just fine. To me, all that work and expense for installing an R&P setup seems a bit much, considering the Borgeson system is easy to install and works quite well.

Last edited by Ron68 (8/07/2021 11:42 PM)

68 coupe - 351W, 4R70W, 9" 3.25 -- 65 convertible - 289 4v, C4, 8" 3.00

8/08/2021 5:45 AM  #15

I have had the Borgeson system in my 66 Coupe for about 5 years and the car handles fine with no issues. It was an easy install but I do recommend the MS lower bearing in the column instead of the bushing in the kit.
Welcome back to the Forum!

Last edited by BobC (8/08/2021 5:45 AM)

Bash Host MSBB XVI.       BobC    1966 Mustang Coupe

8/08/2021 6:26 AM  #16

I have had a Total Control power R&P in my 66 since 2005.  It needs a new bellow on one side but works fine.
I will be installing a Borgeson on my 69 soon.  It is s newer design box with alot tighter ratio than the old Mustang box. I will be installing one on my neighbor’s 65 fastback soon. It is the way to go.

8/08/2021 6:28 AM  #17

MS wrote:

I have had a Total Control power R&P in my 66 since 2005. It needs a new bellow on one side but works fine.
I will be installing a Borgeson on my 69 soon. It is s newer design box with alot tighter ratio than the old Mustang box. I woll be installing one on my neighbor’s 65 fastback soon. It is the way to go.

I will check it out. How does the feel compare to R&P?  When I think about how revolutionary R&P felt in any Fox vehicle (even our old 78 Fairmont) it leads me that direction.

8/08/2021 7:13 AM  #18

The old systems were not abandoned because they didn't work or lacked feel.  They were abandoned to save cost and reduce space in newer platforms.  I have the Borgerson in my '67 and its a good system.  Responsive and tight with good feedback.  I had to lower the amount of assist to keep it from jumping off center the instant I touched the wheel.  This required buying a kit from Borgeson.  The supplied steering column base mount was extremely Mickey Mouse, so I made my own.  The steering column lower bearing was equally Mickey Mouse, so I used the Mustang Steve setup.  The steering box hit my JBA headers and required me to dimple on of the tubes to clear.  The pump mount is also pretty Mickey Mouse and flexes a lot.  I'm converting to Fox Mustang accessory drive and that should correct both that and my intermittent alternator squeal on startup.  You are going to need somewhere around 3-3.5 degrees of positive caster to get acceptable return to center and remove squirreliness from the steering.  This will require the Shelby/Arning drop, which most guys don't mention because its the first thing they did to the front end (as it should  be). 

So here's my overall take on the Borgeson system.  MUCH better than stock.  A decent way to get power steering in a manual steer car.  Not exactly a bolt in though.  I suggested EPAS because there's no box interference with headers, the amount of assist is more easily adjustable, and there's no pump or lines.  If I had to do it again this is what I would do.  Not knocking Borgeson, just giving you the straight skinny on my experience with it.  I wasn't over or under whelmed with it.  Basically it was what I expected and it required the typical amount of work not in the instructions that adding anything of this magnitude to a classic car typically requires. 

8/08/2021 9:09 AM  #19

TKOPerformance wrote:

The old systems were not abandoned because they didn't work or lacked feel.  They were abandoned to save cost and reduce space in newer platforms.  I have the Borgerson in my '67 and its a good system.  Responsive and tight with good feedback.  I had to lower the amount of assist to keep it from jumping off center the instant I touched the wheel.  This required buying a kit from Borgeson.  The supplied steering column base mount was extremely Mickey Mouse, so I made my own.  The steering column lower bearing was equally Mickey Mouse, so I used the Mustang Steve setup.  The steering box hit my JBA headers and required me to dimple on of the tubes to clear.  The pump mount is also pretty Mickey Mouse and flexes a lot.  I'm converting to Fox Mustang accessory drive and that should correct both that and my intermittent alternator squeal on startup.  You are going to need somewhere around 3-3.5 degrees of positive caster to get acceptable return to center and remove squirreliness from the steering.  This will require the Shelby/Arning drop, which most guys don't mention because its the first thing they did to the front end (as it should  be). 

So here's my overall take on the Borgeson system.  MUCH better than stock.  A decent way to get power steering in a manual steer car.  Not exactly a bolt in though.  I suggested EPAS because there's no box interference with headers, the amount of assist is more easily adjustable, and there's no pump or lines.  If I had to do it again this is what I would do.  Not knocking Borgeson, just giving you the straight skinny on my experience with it.  I wasn't over or under whelmed with it.  Basically it was what I expected and it required the typical amount of work not in the instructions that adding anything of this magnitude to a classic car typically requires. 

I followed everything until "Not knocking Borgeson".  With the borgeson I would still use EPAS, correct?  It just eliminates the PS pump.  I did the Shelby Drop when I put in the new suspension.  I also found a crack in the shock tower which I fixed.

8/08/2021 9:10 AM  #20

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I remember you Dennis I am in process of getting a Gold 66 coupe.

Well your memory is better than mine!  I couldn't remember enough to dig up my username.

Memory is the second thing to go you know.  

8/08/2021 9:26 AM  #21

I installed the R&C MII front suspension with R&P power steering in 2011.  The kit came with a Borgeson pump.  In 2016 I added a Vintage A/C package.  This package was ordered with the ability to adapt the Borgeson pump.  I've had no isses with this PS-A/C setup. 

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/08/2021 11:06 AM  #22

BILLY WALTON from GEORGIA wrote:

I remember you Dennis I am in process of getting a Gold 66 coupe.

GREAT!!!.....Tell me his old board name!
6sal6

Get busy Liv'in or get busy Die'n....Host of the 2020 Bash at the Beach/The only Bash that got cancelled  )8

8/08/2021 7:38 PM  #23

Dennis wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

I followed everything until "Not knocking Borgeson".  With the borgeson I would still use EPAS, correct?  It just eliminates the PS pump.  I did the Shelby Drop when I put in the new suspension.  I also found a crack in the shock tower which I fixed.

The borgeson box is an integral power steering box so no EPAS would be used. It requires a hydraulic power steering pump.  If you want EPAS, you will need a rebuilt quick ratio manual type Mustang box, or a new Flaming River copy, or a manual R&P, or figure out how to retrofit a newer type EPAS R&P into the car.

The borgeson is pretty simple bolt in, with a few gotchas TKO mentioned, that are not hard to overcome. Basically, it just simplifies everything for a pretty reasonable cost and works quite well.

8/08/2021 7:45 PM  #24

MS wrote:

Dennis wrote:

TKOPerformance wrote:

The borgeson box is an integral power steering box so no EPAS would be used. It requires a hydraulic power steering pump. If you want EPAS, you will need a rebuilt quick ratio manual type Mustang box, or a new Flaming River copy, or a manual R&P, or figure out how to retrofit a newer type EPAS R&P into the car.

The borgeson is pretty simple bolt in, with a few gotchas TKO mentioned, that are not hard to overcome. Basically, it just simplifies everything for a pretty reasonable cost and works quite well.

Ok, gotcha.  I did have an early 67 no rag-joint setup in my car, so for the Randalls I had to cut off the end of the shaft.   I suppose any solution I go after would still work with this, might have to weld something on I suppose. I'll poke around awhile.  If I break down and go with a Fox accessory drive setup the pump becomes an easier issue to deal with.  

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Dennis (8/08/2021 7:46 PM)

8/09/2021 5:50 PM  #25

Borgeson typically comes with a new steering shaft (not column, just shaft) that has splines at bottom for borgeson rag joint.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.