FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2013 8:09 AM  #1

8.8 into 65 Mustang

Finishing up 8.8 into my 65. Had to move spring perches on tubes and one of the emergency brake cables mounting point bracket under body. The local differential guru sez I'll have a vibration issue because driveline is offset laterally? My contention is the driveline is offset vertically as well? So what's the difference.
What's your opinion on this offset driveline issue?
Thanks all, Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (8/21/2013 8:12 AM)

8/21/2013 8:23 AM  #2

Re: 8.8 into 65 Mustang

By that theory alone Explorers and Rangers would have a vibration issue because they are offset in those vehicles.

Being offset alone isnt the cause of vibration.  because the transmission and rear axle flange should be parallel to each other.  However, I do think your pinion angle does become more critical.

I was just up at pick and pull looking at these axles in explorers.  Because I am considering doing one in my Galaxie.    I havent decided yet on this, or putting some crown vic brakes and finding a better gear set, since one hasnt fallen into my lap. 

There were a bunch of axles up there.  several 3.73 limited slips with discs.  

It looks like one of the things Ford did with these rears is really limit the pinion from being able to twist during acceration.   So I even started wondering if there wasnt a way to incorporate those center links as well.    

Hec, it even looked like a pretty long driveshaft.   I havent started measuring yet, but I know my current driveshaft is waaaay too short.   

I hope this conversion works out well for you.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

8/21/2013 9:45 AM  #3

on a '65...did you shorten the long axle? this would somewhat "center" the pinion.

on the 67/68 the axle is near the correct width. most run the axle as is with little/no issues. but the under body may need a bit of a message to clear.

also the Explore 4x4 has an offset transfer case thus the offset axle.

8/21/2013 5:32 PM  #4

All the interweb discussion I've seen on this, reflects the. universals don't know there is the difference between a vertical or horizontal, or even diagional offset. Offset is offset.
Howard, I'm trying to remove the long leg from a Exploder 8.8, and have a 1/2" holes drilled where the plugs are. Question is how does the remaing plug get removed?? I've whanged and percussed on those rascalls to no effect. What'd posed to do??

Tubo

If it ain't broke, I haven't modified it Yet

8/21/2013 7:32 PM  #5

hey Tubo...check this link out on those plugs and pulling the tube:

http://www.stangfix.com/index.php?topic=11946.msg148354#msg148354

8/21/2013 8:15 PM  #6

Interesting site! Very inovative guy. I'd use a bottle jack (cause I have one) and spacer strapped to axle tube to push tube out and probably long piece of allthread with flat plates to pull tube back in place!!
I needed the full length of the axle to fit my wheels, so used stock lenght...
Howard

Last edited by hmartin025 (8/21/2013 8:18 PM)

8/22/2013 1:37 AM  #7

I set pinion on my 96 explorer rear to stock 66 specs then welded and bolted it in...custom alum driveshaft and ive had it so far to at least 80-85 without a single hint of vibration

8/22/2013 6:19 PM  #8

Ford offset the rears in Explorers and Rangers for clearance for the fuel tanks..........main shaft coming out of rear trannys are still quite centered    

I decided tonight Im doing this.   Now I got to figure out a way to go get one and get it home.  

If multiple things can go wrong, the one that will go wrong will be the one that causes the most damage.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.