FYI FORD - MustangSteve's Ford Mustang Forum
The Internet's Most Knowledgeable Classic Mustang Information
IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT CLASSIC FORD MUSTANGS, YOU HAVE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE!
MustangSteve has over 30 years of Mustang experience, having owned 30 of them and restored several others. With the help of other Mustangers, this site is dedicated to helping anyone wanting to restore or modify their Mustang.... THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS!!!!!
Visit MustangSteve's web site to view some of my work and find details for:
FYIFORD Contributors' PICTURES - Power Brake Retrofit Kits for 65-66 Stangs - Classic Mustang FAQ's by MustangSteve - How to wire in a Duraspark Ignition - Mustang Ride Height Pictures and Descriptions - Steel Bushings to fit Granada Spindles to Mustang Tie Rods - Visit my EBAY store MustangSteve Performance - How to Install Granada Disc Brakes MustangSteve's Disc Brake Swap Page - FYIFORD Acronyms for guide to all the acronyms used on this page - FYIFORD Important information and upcoming events

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2021 6:37 PM  #1

LED front turn signals on 66… No worky

I tried to install the Scott Drake (yeah, I know…💩) LED front turn signals in my 66 today.
They would light up in the parking light position, but turn signals would not illuminate or flash. I added the new electronic flasher and still no difference.  I removed them and reinstalled the original 1157 bulbs. They work fine, but the new electronic flasher makes them function quicker.

Any ideas why LED’s wont work?

Money you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted money... unless your wife finds out.

8/28/2021 6:56 PM  #2

Re: LED front turn signals on 66… No worky

Does the flasher have an external ground wire, if not may be the problem.
CEC Industries EF32RL Electronic Turn Signal Flasher Relay, LED Compatible, 2 + Ground Wire Prongs,
on Amazon

Last edited by Rudi (8/28/2021 7:03 PM)

Good work ain't cheap, Cheap work ain't good!   Simple Man

8/28/2021 7:15 PM  #3

My new flasher was from Autozone and only has the two normal connections.  So, the new flasher must have a ground wire...
I will order one of the ones Rudi specified.  Thanks for the info!

8/28/2021 11:43 PM  #4

When you tested them, did you test them both as turn signals and as emergency flashers?  Also, LEDs are polar while incandescent bulbs are not.  If your socket is getting the turn signal power in reverse polarity, then the LEDs would not light up but normal incandescent bulbs would still work fine.  If the polarity is fine, even the old style flasher should light up the bulbs, they just won't pull enough juice to cause the old style flasher units to flash properly.

Last edited by Rufus68 (8/28/2021 11:44 PM)

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

8/29/2021 5:20 AM  #5

Agree with the suggestion of trying the 4-ways - it's a different power source (and a different flasher).  Also maybe try removing one bulb, rotating it 180° and sticking it back in if it will seat that way.  You could also try to stick one of the LED bulbs in a tail light socket to see if both functions of it work there.

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

8/29/2021 8:17 AM  #6

Try changing the polarity of the 2 blades to the flasher from the car wire harness.

My electronic flasher that came with my tail lights didn’t work even with the additional ground wire.

Worked after switching the 2 wires.

8/29/2021 8:40 AM  #7

I tried switching wires on the flasher. Did not change anything. Right now it is back together with the 1157 bulbs and is working as normal.

New flashers should arrive Monday.  I will revisit this next week.

I do not see how bulbs could get reversed polarity. They will only fit one way. The parking light side of the bulbs did work.

Chalking this up to “another Scott Drake” product.

8/29/2021 9:29 AM  #8

LED’s are fussy little  buggers, polarity and voltage sensitive plus totally non tolerant of bad grounds. Plug and play is iffy at best,  I always like to bench check them before installation verifying that they match the installation.
I have a box full of flasher relays that I tried and ones I tried to modify to make them work. The one I specified solved my issues, let us know your results.
The  off shore LED manufacturers have dubious QC and don’t seem to be bound by industry standards as far as polarity is concerned.

Last edited by Rudi (8/29/2021 9:33 AM)

8/29/2021 11:40 AM  #9

MS - the LED flashers (turn signal & hazard) used by Racer's Inc fuse panel I installed recently is a CF-13 and are available from Amazon.  I used LED (1157's) both front and rear from SuperBrightLEDs and haven't had any issues.  
I tried to post the LED wiring diagram to this post but couldn't, I'll send it to you via email.

65 Fastback, 351W, 5-speed, 4 wheel discs, 9" rear,  R&C Front End.

8/29/2021 4:19 PM  #10

BobE wrote:

MS - the LED flashers (turn signal & hazard) used by Racer's Inc fuse panel I installed recently is a CF-13 and are available from Amazon.  I used LED (1157's) both front and rear from SuperBrightLEDs and haven't had any issues.  
I tried to post the LED wiring diagram to this post but couldn't, I'll send it to you via email.

I got the diagram.  Hopefully the flasher does the trick. These lights are supposed to just plug in and function.

8/30/2021 8:12 AM  #11

Wondering if the terminals on the bulb are of equal height.  If one's a bit low it may not connect with the connection in the socket

Founding Member of the Perpetually Bewildered Society

8/30/2021 8:40 AM  #12

sometimes the LED's require an additional load to work.  They don't sometimes create enough load for the flashers to work.  Some electronic places sell a external load to install in the circuit.

8/30/2021 9:54 AM  #13

retired65 wrote:

sometimes the LED's require an additional load to work.  They don't sometimes create enough load for the flashers to work.  Some electronic places sell a external load to install in the circuit.

Added resistor defeats the benefits of low current draw of LED’s, besides adding heat the resistance ends up being equal to incandescent bulbs.
It is a fix but IMO the wrong one.

8/30/2021 11:20 AM  #14

Rudi wrote:

retired65 wrote:

Added resistor defeats the benefits of low current draw of LED’s, besides adding heat the resistance ends up being equal to incandescent bulbs.
It is a fix but IMO the wrong one.

I agree.  It is better to get an electronic flasher that works with low draw.

1968 T-code Coupe with a 302.  Nice car, no show stopper for sure, but I like it.

9/02/2021 3:59 PM  #15

Steve, did you get the new  flashe module?

9/02/2021 4:07 PM  #16

The flasher came yesterday but I have not had time to work on the car.
I have been busy trying to finish out my new game room.  Lots of stuff to hang on the walls yet.

9/02/2021 4:22 PM  #17

MS wrote:

The flasher came yesterday but I have not had time to work on the car.
I have been busy trying to finish out my new game room.  Lots of stuff to hang on the walls yet.

My guess is he's shooting pool and drinking beers....

9/02/2021 6:15 PM  #18

Well, you do have to take time to smell the roses once you work at mounting stuff on the walls.   Next I have to remove over 100 items from the walls of my old garage and relocate them to the new building.

9/03/2021 8:37 AM  #19

MS wrote:

Next I have to remove over 100 items from the walls of my old garage and relocate them to the new building.

and then patch over 100 holes in the walls......, and then repaint the old garage..., and then......

If you're gonna drive the 66 to Kansas in October, sooner or later you're going to have to work on it. 

Hey! I've got an idea!  Invite Scott Drake over to shoot pool and enjoy adult beverages, and then when he gets there tell him the fun begins after your LED turn signals are working!

Last edited by TimC (9/03/2021 8:41 AM)

9/03/2021 11:11 AM  #20

The 66 is ready to go, right now, with incandescent turn signals fully functional.  The LEDs will go in whenI get time to fool with it.

And, yeah, a repaint for the old three car garage is probably in the cards once all the Ford stuff has been pulled.  We were actually discussing porcelain tile for the floor a couple of days ago.  I can put in porcelain tile for about half what the epoxy floor in the new shop cost.  Since no floor jacks or jackstands will be used there, the tile should hold up just fine.

9/03/2021 11:48 AM  #21

It would have been nice to see if the new flasher worked for you, it solved my issues.
But I do understand that other things have priority.

9/03/2021 1:21 PM  #22

I guess I'm just lucky.  I used two incandescent 1157's, six LED 1157's, a couple of diodes, and a stock bi-metal flasher.  Turns and E-flashers work perfect and they are very bright and visible.  I told Josh what I did so he did his FB the same way...he was lucky too.

BB

"you get what you pay for, good work isn't cheap, and there are NO free lunches...PERIOD!"

9/03/2021 3:12 PM  #23

Bullet Bob wrote:

I guess I'm just lucky.  I used two incandescent 1157's, six LED 1157's, a couple of diodes, and a stock bi-metal flasher.  Turns and E-flashers work perfect and they are very bright and visible.  I told Josh what I did so he did his FB the same way...he was lucky too.

BB

Yeah, I'm just lucky that way....

9/04/2021 7:34 AM  #24

I was reading down through here a I think Steve got a couple bad bulbs. IIRC if you have a burnt out front bulb, no load up front, the rear bulb will still cause the flasher to blink. I feel if you just change the front to LED and rear left incandescent a standard flasher should work.

If this forum can't fix it, it isn't broke.

9/04/2021 8:32 AM  #25

I have LED rears with resistors. They work fine with standard flashers. It has been like that for years. Just now adding fronts. Not really any good place to mount the resistors so electronic flashers will be used.

Just need a round-tuit at this point.

Board footera

REMEMBER!!! When posting a question about your Mustang or other Ford on this forum, BE SURE to tell us what it is, what year, engine, etc so we have enough information to go on.